The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
RHGuyettejr

Electronic Dist Questions.

Any recommendations on electronic distributors? I need to replace the heads on the 69 (hoping that is all it needs) but while I have to pull everything figured this would be the time to do an electronic ignition upgrade. I just want to make sure I purchase something reliable. I usually use all MSD products and have never had any problems, but didn't know if there was a brand anybody preferred out there.

I also want to run some shorty headers that are the same style as the rams horns if they will seal well. My experience with headers is that unless you go all out on a thick flange setup they always loosen up and leak, but I want something that makes the engine look a little better is all. The appeal of some of the shorty rams horn style headers I have seen is they are not a continuous flange against the head, but each port bolts up by itself like the original manifolds. Didn't know if anybody had some that where great, or if I should just replace them with some new manifolds.

Thanks again everyone, this forum has been really helpful with all my questions.
RHGuyettejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
stomper

Re: Electronic Dist Questions.

I don't think you need so spend the coin on MSD hardware. A stock HEI in good condition is fine for the street. However, these stock dizzys are getting alot of miles on them and probably need a rebuild. I considered the cost of a rebuild and settled on the Summit unit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850001r
Old 03-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
truckster

Personally, I think GM got it it about as good as it can get with the HEI.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
Lattimer

Pretty much any aftermarket replacement HEI will work fine for street use. My truck already had one installed, but I bought an Accel rebuilt kit at Advance for $99.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
CSGAS
optomistic ah-so

The "Ready to run" MSDs have a rep for not holding up (from the design it looks like the ignition modules do not get enough contact area to pass heat through properly) so if you did stick with MSD it would have to be a separate Distributor and box combo.

The conversion kits would be another route but they do not make as much power as a good HEI and any of the ones based on an optical trigger (even infrared) will risk having something block or distort the line-of-sight that the pickup needs--same problem that gave "Optispark" such a bad rep when it had a "drainage hole" in it.

If you use a junkyard HEI be prepared to "rebuild" it--just grab one with very little play and replace all the expendable parts like cap, coil, module with high-quality parts (you can even leave the ones you won't use in the junkyard, you should only need the screws that hold the rotor on)

Personally, I'm going to try slipping an HEI shaft into my points housing probably in two weeks, and run wires to my module somewhere externally on a heat sink with an external coil, too. If that won't work I'll follow MSD & Mallory's examples. They put Ford parts in a GM-design housing. The reluctor and pickup from a Duraspark distributor to be specific, will trigger either a GM 4-pin module or any aftermarket ignition box just fine...heck, mty mentor even hooked up a points distributor to a Chrysler ignition module (just a stock blue box) and got it to work, I was trying to recreate that when I discovered what MSD and Mallory did.

So don't worry, almost any option you take has at least one way of working out right.

1970 C-10 lwb Fleetside. Originally 350 2-bbl 3-on-the-tree, m/b, m/w, m/s no a/c. Currently running on a '76 Camaro 305.
CSGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

There was an older GM HEIi in my truck when I bought it. I popped the distributor cap one day and it was ugly under there. It looked someone had pulled the distributor out of a wreck with 150,000 miles and just stuck it in the truck. I was gonna replace coil, pickup etc. and when I went to the ( car guy owner ) old fashioned parts store for the parts the owner talked me into one of these. I installed it in 2007 and could tell the diference in the way the truck ran immediatley. Using Summitts price, its cheaper now than it was for me in 2007.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8362

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021

Last edited by Already Gone; 03-19-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
TBONE1964
Cluster King

I like this company and have this in my 64 with a 292. It starts and performs as well as an HEI but looks stock. I have yet to have a problem with starting and performance.

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/default.aspx

When I get an original distributor for my 72, it will be added also.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
RHGuyettejr

Thanks guys I really appreciate it, Probably will go the way of something from summit because everything with an HEI up here in a junkyard is probably crushed, I usually only get lucky with 88-98 parts, not sure what year they switched to electronic advance, but by the time I buy a new cap and rotor and such, I could almost have a new summit brand dist. If nobody has any huge complaints then I will probably go that route.
RHGuyettejr is offline   Reply With Quote