The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
pwradder

2'' drop from cutting stock springs?

i've got some 2'' longer shackels for my '80 c10, and i want to cut the front coils. i know its gonna take a few tries to get the stance i want, but i'd like to start with something close- so can any one tell me how much to cut off and get me close to the 2'' mark?
1977 srw cc lb 396/700r/4:11's/6'' bds lift/ 35's. sold
1986 suburban 350/700r/3:73's 31's: parted out.
1980 silverado swb 5.3/700r/ 2'' drop/ daily driver. sold
1985 c10 long bed 5.3/700r/2'' drop/17" wheels/ daily driver. sold
1970 c10 long bed-new project! getting ready for the 6.0
pwradder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: 2'' drop from cutting stock springs?

One coil will get you real close to two inches.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
Square_78

If your springs are old and sagged, then you might get 2.5" from cutting one coil. No big deal though. Be sure to cut off the bottom of the spring so it seats correctly.

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
espcamaro

1 loop is about 2.5 inches if that helps at all. Cutting coils isn't recommended, I've heard they ride pretty bad. I know brothers.com has springs on sale for like $88. That would be your best bet
Posted via Mobile Device
espcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Telecasterjoey

I cut one coil, dropped 2 inches, zero problems!

Go for it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Telecasterjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
TexasSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by espcamaro View Post
1 loop is about 2.5 inches if that helps at all. Cutting coils isn't recommended, I've heard they ride pretty bad. I know brothers.com has springs on sale for like $88. That would be your best bet
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm sorry but I HATE it when people try to give "advice" on something they know nothing about. Cutting coils was around for DECADES before springs were manufactured for lowering vehicles. Even Professionals with cut springs instead of buying the commonly overpriced aftermarket lowering springs.

There is ZERO wrong with cutting coils. The ONLY problem with cutting coils is when people do it wrong. Use a saw/cutting wheel & it is done safely & correctly. use a torch & you'll cut them alright but will also totally destroy the strength that they were built with. THOSE are the springs that ride pretty bad, not the ones that are cut correctly.
2001 Yukon Factory Grey Metallic~2" DJM Key front drop/3" DJM Rear Springs~stock 16" chrome steel wheels~5.3/4L60E~Volante CAI w/under bumper air scoop~Magnaflow 10426 Bullet muffler~DDM LED all exterior lighting/55w-5000k HID Hi/Low/35w Fog
TexasSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
Tx Firefighter

When I spoke earlier in this thread, I spoke from personal experience. I've cut a whole, whole lot of front coil springs on these trucks over the years. They ride just fine. Save your money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
espcamaro

Didn't want to start anything. I'm sure your right. I've just read that in other forums. Just disregard my other comment. Ill probably end up cutting my springs now
Posted via Mobile Device
espcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
TexasSteve

I've done it both ways & was never unsatisfied with cutting mine. Was only unsatisfied with buying aftermarket lowering springs then being unhappy with the lack of drop they gave then ended up cutting those anyways.

What I do love, although not exactly cheap, is a setup like Ground control Weight Jacks like what is on my GTA. Short springs that you can decide on their weight rate that sit on adjustable mounts. So you get to decide exactly where you want it without affecting the spring rate.

Other companies make "generic" Weight Jacks which can be adapted to many different vehicles. I just loved the ability to adjust the ride height with just a wrench both down & back up if you discovered that it was set too low in the beginning.
2001 Yukon Factory Grey Metallic~2" DJM Key front drop/3" DJM Rear Springs~stock 16" chrome steel wheels~5.3/4L60E~Volante CAI w/under bumper air scoop~Magnaflow 10426 Bullet muffler~DDM LED all exterior lighting/55w-5000k HID Hi/Low/35w Fog
Old 03-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
cmyc5575

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSteve View Post
I'm sorry but I HATE it when people try to give "advice" on something they know nothing about. Cutting coils was around for DECADES before springs were manufactured for lowering vehicles. Even Professionals with cut springs instead of buying the commonly overpriced aftermarket lowering springs.

There is ZERO wrong with cutting coils. The ONLY problem with cutting coils is when people do it wrong. Use a saw/cutting wheel & it is done safely & correctly. use a torch & you'll cut them alright but will also totally destroy the strength that they were built with. THOSE are the springs that ride pretty bad, not the ones that are cut correctly.
Read again man, lol hes stated that he heard they ride bad when they are cut, and based on what he's heard that they were recommended. I have used both ways and seem to be just fine.
cmyc5575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
cmyc5575

Quote:
I've done it both ways & was never unsatisfied with cutting mine. Was only unsatisfied with buying aftermarket lowering springs then being unhappy with the lack of drop they gave then ended up cutting those anyways.

What I do love, although not exactly cheap, is a setup like Ground control Weight Jacks like what is on my GTA. Short springs that you can decide on their weight rate that sit on adjustable mounts. So you get to decide exactly where you want it without affecting the spring rate.

Other companies make "generic" Weight Jacks which can be adapted to many different vehicles. I just loved the ability to adjust the ride height with just a wrench both down & back up if you discovered that it was set too low in the beginning.

I love the thought of the wrench changing of suspension. Tell me something,,, do you have to jack the vehicle up before you start changing the suspension springs with a wrench?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #12
TexasSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyc5575 View Post
Read again man, lol hes stated that he heard they ride bad when they are cut, and based on what he's heard that they were recommended. I have used both ways and seem to be just fine.
I do not need to "read again". He was giving "advice" based on his 2nd hand knowledge. People should not give advice based on heresay. If someone doesn't KNOW? They shouldn't speak, especially on the internet. Too commonly things read are taken as "gospel". You know the State Farm commercial...."If it isn't true, they can't say it on the internet." This is a perfect example of that.....
Old 03-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #13
cmyc5575

Quote:
I do not need to "read again". He was giving "advice" based on his 2nd hand knowledge. People should not give advice based on heresay. If someone doesn't KNOW? They shouldn't speak, especially on the internet. Too commonly things read are taken as "gospel". You know the State Farm commercial...."If it isn't true, they can't say it on the internet." This is a perfect example of that.....
LOL so did you see my second post about the wrech adjusting suspension?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #14
TexasSteve

Quote:
I love the thought of the wrench changing of suspension. Tell me something,,, do you have to jack the vehicle up before you start changing the suspension springs with a wrench?
Depends on what style applies to your springs. For the front of my GTA I just need a 1/2" ratchet & the correct socket. And a whole lot of a strength to go up. Even going down is not for the weak armed.

For the rear I have to jack the car up & use an allen wrench to unlock the set screw then a spanner wrench to turn the seat. I can get by without the spanner wrench by turning it by hand too but then I almost have to fully unload the suspension. Too much & they will actually fall out with the really short springs, but you can also choose how tall of springs you want to start with then select the desired spring rate.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #15
TexasSteve

Quote:
LOL so did you see my second post about the wrech adjusting suspension?
I wasn't even referring to your posts to begin with, so I dunno where you are going with any of this.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #16
cmyc5575

Quote:
I wasn't even referring to your posts to begin with, so I dunno where you are going with any of this.
U just answered it with your post before this one. I made this comment bc you didnt reply to the first one.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #17
pwradder

i've cut some stock springs in my day, and always been satisfied with the results. i've even had to cut a set of drop springs that i bought as a kit (all 4) for my old chevelle because the front sat too high! and this is a budget build, so i'll keep it in my pocket when i can. thanks for all the replies guy's-now i know where to start.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #18
78maliburat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwradder View Post
i've cut some stock springs in my day, and always been satisfied with the results. i've even had to cut a set of drop springs that i bought as a kit (all 4) for my old chevelle because the front sat too high! and this is a budget build, so i'll keep it in my pocket when i can. thanks for all the replies guy's-now i know where to start.

You may of cut the front spring on a chevelle but you didnt do the back a chevelle uses a tapered spring on both ends on the rear
78maliburat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #19
pwradder

okay-maybe i should have made that clearer, but it does say ''because the front sat too high''
Old 03-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
57rookie

If you cut the front springs to lower 2", how do you lower the rear spring pack to 2 - 4" to keep the rake from being to high in the back?
57rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #21
TexasSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57rookie View Post
If you cut the front springs to lower 2", how do you lower the rear spring pack to 2 - 4" to keep the rake from being to high in the back?
Lowering shackles will drop the rear 2". Shackles & hangers will drop it 4". For a fully coil sprung suspension you'd cut all 4 springs (if not pigtailed on both ends) or install lowering springs.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #22
bigd65

I like the way car builders can argue out a point and still be civil.... Anyway, I bought some two drop coils, from a guy on this site. What I am hoping for is to get actually about an inch. I figure two inch drop coils changed from worn out stock springs, might give me about 1 inch.... And a little more stable of a ride
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #23
ozbowhunter

so will it all level out if you use a two inch drop rear shackle and cut one coil? i read somewhereonce that you need to drop the rear more then the front to get it level?
ozbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #24
Tx Firefighter

Every truck is different in what it takes to level it.

You'll have to judge the stance of your truck to see what it needs to get the look you want.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #25
bigd65

Posted via Mobile Device

Two inch drop coils and two inch shackles . Guess now I'm going for a flip kit or something. The wife says she likes it this way. I know I REALLY like the ride
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images