The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
dustnx

My 79' C10 SWB build

So I thought it was getting around to that time of the year where I can put in some more wrench time on my truck, so thought I'd start a project thread!

Will be slow, money and time always play a factor, but will be sure to update as often as I get time to work on it .

So I will start from, well, the start, lol. I bought the truck from my uncle for $800, had the 454 already in it, but it was not wired up or anything and I was told that the 454 had never even been started since it was put in, the guy that owned it before my uncle never did get it all installed and wired up.

So here is what she looked like before she took the trip to the house. This was back in 2012 by the way, somewhere around June or July.

As you can see, she has a LONG road ahead of her lol.
89' Pontiac Firebird - 350SBC swap with 700R4, few bolt ons. On back burner for now. (Daily Driver)
dustnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
dustnx

Re: My 79' C10 SWB build

Here is an immediate problem I noticed before I got it home. The guy that previously owned it apparently didn't have the right headers and chopped up the frame to try and get them to fit!! I've asked a few different people about it, which are old hot rodders, and told me that it will be ok. I am a little leery about it myself and eventually plan to at least weld some angle iron in there or something, just for reassurance.

89' Pontiac Firebird - 350SBC swap with 700R4, few bolt ons. On back burner for now. (Daily Driver)
Old 03-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
dustnx

So my first priority was to try and get the 454 to start, considering it had apparently had never been started in the truck.

Got all wiring to the starter and distribitor wired up correctly, got wires on, carb, at this point didn't even have the fuel pump hooked up, just pouring a bit of gas down in the carb. Took awhile to get it to start, took me 3-4 weeks of tinkering around when I had time to get it to finally fire, had to go through and readjust all the valves. She cranked and sounded great, had good pressure and lopped like it had a big cam in it! I was excitied!! .

This is a pic just before I started wiring for electric fuel pump and electric fan.

Got those wired up, headers on, little tweaking and was happy what progress I had made
Old 03-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
77ChevySharkBite

Looks like you got a solid foundation!! Welcome and congrats on starting a build, yeah that frame is scary, what about maybe getting some steel to replace what was cut out and then if it fits maybe put some reinenforcements bars for the frame?
Posted via Mobile Device

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #5
dustnx

A month or two went buy and I was able to get my hands on some moroso tall valve covers and an edelbrock performer 2.0 intake. Cleaned them all up and put them on. This is where she sits today, add carb of course.

After I had swapped out the intake it some how got out of time, first time I turned it over it stripped the bendex out of the starter cause the motor kicked back. So I rebuilt the starter and had a heck of a time getting it bolted back up due to header clearance and a solenoid heat shield. By this time it was starting to get cool around here and I left it where it was for the winter.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #6
77ChevySharkBite

Looks good!!! I like that intake looks pretty!! I know there's a lot of kinks to get out of it, what's your plans for it though?
Posted via Mobile Device

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 03-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
dustnx

So I started back to working on it last weekend!!! Was sooooo excited to hear it start up and the starter is toast... I rebuilt it with junk, so go figure lol. I am about to order a DB Electrical mini hi torque starter for it and just be done with starter problems, hopefully do that next week. Once I get that I am gonna get it running and try and get a video on here and some more pics of course.

I did also buy some new wheels for it since the old pictures and worked on the interior a bit. So I will get some pics as soon as I get back over to my dads garage, probably once I receive the starter. Will keep you guys posted .

One more before I go . Carb gasket is just sitting there, I didn't install it that way... lol

Next up on my list of todo things is finish the exhaust, building a custom X-Pipe with dual thrush welded mufflers with turndowns for now, may decide to run to the back eventually, but turndowns to start. Already have the mufflers and the X-Pipe is near done as well. Then its on to suspension and cleanup of frame etc.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
77ChevySharkBite

I don't know a lot but I know that's wrong looks like you got a nice build coming on I'm staying tuned can't wait to see more progress man good work so far!!
Posted via Mobile Device

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 03-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #9
dustnx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77ChevySharkBite View Post
Looks like you got a solid foundation!! Welcome and congrats on starting a build, yeah that frame is scary, what about maybe getting some steel to replace what was cut out and then if it fits maybe put some reinenforcements bars for the frame?
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you very much !! That sounds like a good idea, I've gotta do something with it, I'm scared of it lol. I was told since the cut wasn't over into the bend of the frame that it didn't lose any strength... but I don't know, that 454 will be putting alot of torque down.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
dustnx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77ChevySharkBite View Post
Looks good!!! I like that intake looks pretty!! I know there's a lot of kinks to get out of it, what's your plans for it though?
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks man, I put some time into cleaning that dude up, lol. Well, I want to restore it and goto car shows and just have a fun weekend cruiser . It's still a ways away from that, but that is ultimately my goal with it.

By the way, it's hard to tell, but the truck has cut springs and flip kit on it, not sure how low it is actually dropped, but no room under a-arms for a pop can.. lol. I will get more info on that closer to suspension work!
Old 03-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #11
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustnx View Post
Thanks man, I put some time into cleaning that dude up, lol. Well, I want to restore it and goto car shows and just have a fun weekend cruiser . It's still a ways away from that, but that is ultimately my goal with it.

By the way, it's hard to tell, but the truck has cut springs and flip kit on it, not sure how low it is actually dropped, but no room under a-arms for a pop can.. lol. I will get more info on that closer to suspension work!

You gotta have a end goal man, no doubt about that! You've cleaned it up good with what you have done, best of luck man! There's a lot of gentlemen on here that are very knowledgable don't ever think there is a stupid question we are all here to help each other.

Yeah the more I look at it, it probably has a 3/5 drop, traditionally flip kits give you 5 in the back and front depending how much was cut I would say 3, but like you said you'll handle it when you get there.
Posted via Mobile Device

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 03-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #12
Big Rat

I can't believe that hack job on the frame!!! I guess structural integrity isn't as important as being able to say, "Yeah, it's got headers!!" Do you have a certain direction you are heading towards with this build? At least you have a running motor for yours! Nice truck! '79 C10 SWB, best squarebody made!!!

'69 C20 - Grandpa's 'ol truck
'70 Nova - Birthday present from the wife. She's a KEEPER!
'79 C10 - High school hot rod, BUILD THREAD
Big Rat is offline   Reply With Quote