The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
mtnsackett

Need help with a 85 4.3l

I am having a problem with my 85 GMC 4.5 1500.

here is the issue, the truck has sat for at least 7 years and the engine turns over slowly, even with a new battery and a 50 amp charger on it. it seams to have weak spark. I have replaced the plugs, wires, distributer cap, rotor all the electrical components for the distributor. including the pickup coil and its still weak. I have checked to see if I have the proper voltage at the distributer and it checks out at 12.5 volts

if anyone has any ideas to help I would appreciate it, if I can't figure it out soon I think I will just replace the whole engine and wiring harness under the hood. but the dealership said this was kind of a rare truck and it would be a shame to chop it up.
mtnsackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
Zane M

Re: Need help with a 85 4.3l

Could it be turning over slowly because the starter is "tired".

Also, I don't think that truck is all that rare. Granted, there were probably fewer 4.3s vs. 305 or 350, but I still hazard a guess that there were still plenty.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
mtnsackett

Re: Need help with a 85 4.3l

as far as how rare it is I guess I will know when the information arrives from GM that I Ordered for the truck. I didn't really care till the parts guy at the local dealer said that it was and then I started having second thoughts.

As far as the starter how would one tell if it is tired other then replacing it?

Thank you.