The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
DownrangeFuture

New guy here

Okay... try #2. Maybe chrome won't randomly reload this time...

Anyway, first things first, intro. So, I'm Downrange and I fix and sell motorcycles for my hobby. I work in field service in the oil field fixing control systems for drilling rigs. Usually good money, but for some reason since the last election, drilling has all but stopped in the US. Well, except for all the Chinese guys in the Gulf...

So, I don't know much about classic cars or trucks. But my current project is ready to sell and I need help. I picked up a 2004 GSX-R750 for about $2000 in trade stuffs a few weeks ago. She ran okay and the cosmetics were horrible. So about $600 in fairing/tank repair and a tune up and I've got the bike on craigslist. I suffer from bike ADD so fixing and selling makes it basically free to switch bikes every 6 months or so.

Obligatory pics:
Before:

After:

Did the painting myself.

Anyway, I got an offer to trade for this:
http://houston.craigslist.org/bar/3702440190.html
And I have no idea about classic trucks. I like looking at them but never owned or worked on one. Honestly, I can strip a motorcycle down to individual parts and put it back together, (and it usually even runs better than before), but I don't know much about cars. I gather they're similar.

I do know the bed can be changed out for wood, and the 6x9 cutouts in the doors aren't stock. Beyond that, I don't know if it's worth trading for and fixing or not. Or how much it could be worth even. What's not stock. How much work is still left to do. If there's anything I should really look for. I know what to look for on an old bike, but I'm out of my element.

This would probably be a keeper for me. I really need something to drive on rainy/cold days. And the occasional light haul from time to time wouldn't be bad either.

Anyway, thoughts, ideas from the experts and/or peanut gallery?
DownrangeFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
doubleb's69

Re: New guy here

I would work on selling the bike out right. That truck needs a lot of work. Don't let the shiny paint fool you. You said you wanted to drive it on colder rainy days. For one reason or another the heater core isn't hooked up. The bed floor is shot. The interior is incomplete. And not that it wasn't but I never trust anyone who says that the engine was just rebuilt. If you do go look at it look above the windshield inside of the cab for rust. Also look at the floor braces under the truck. Look at the suspension like the trailing arms for rust through. If anything I would say if he is willing to trade he better bring cash to the table to offset the difference.

All of the above just my opinion.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
truckster

Welcome to the board!

The truck you're looking at looks fairly stock, except for the wheels and tires and some dress-up items on the engine, plus an HEI. Rust is the biggest problem with these trucks, and the paint looks fairly fresh, so I would be concerned about what it might be hiding. Look at the rocker panels, the door bottoms, corners of the cab, the floor boards (especially toward the front and sides by the sill), and the fenders.

I don't think he was claiming the engine was rebuilt; I think he's referring to the carburetor, which looks to be the stock Quadrajet.

It looks like a base model. Power brakes were a pretty common option in 72, as was power steering (I can't tell for sure from the engine pic if there's a pump installed there; they go on the lower driver's side).

I'd say from the pictures that he started restoration as a daily driver. If that's what you're looking for and the other things check out, it might not be a bad start.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
CC69Rat

Welcome to the board..

No offense to the guy who owns the truck, I'm just saying I'd rather have the bike. (if that makes sense? )

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
DownrangeFuture

Well, thanks for the reply. It's what I was afraid of. When I looked at book values from $10k on up, something didn't feel right. Maybe just a 6th sense I picked up selling and trading on craigslist for years.

After looking at some of the trucks on here, I gotta get me one tho. Lots of 72s on CL. This one looks awesome http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3658953298.html

Man, Im gonna have to get one now. Lol.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
DownrangeFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
Welcome to the board..

No offense to the guy who owns the truck, I'm just saying I'd rather have the bike. (if that makes sense? )
It's for sale. Come get it. Book is $5850 and with all the mods done, it's worth more than that.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
CC69Rat

Yes, the wife would kill me before the bike did. That would be my problem on a big bike like that, I'd get too brave on it and get hurt.

You do need a truck though!

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
DownrangeFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
Yes, the wife would kill me before the bike did. That would be my problem on a big bike like that, I'd get too brave on it and get hurt.

You do need a truck though!
Yeah, there's a reason my ADD only lasted for a few rides this time. Usually I keep bikes for 4 months to a year before I trade them. The only bike that I traded faster was the 89 Harley hardtail I had. Ouch. Suspension is important folks. Not to mention, the 88ci engine wasn't rubber mounted, and I think it shook my fillings out. And I didnt have any to start with.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
Chance72

Another a guy from Houston. Nice. To add to what these guys have said ive seen that truck for trade for a pretty long time. Makes you wonder why.
Chance72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
Chance72

What part of Houston are you in?
Old 03-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
DownrangeFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance72 View Post
What part of Houston are you in?
I'm out in Kingwood. I work out of the NOV office on Bammel and Beltway 8. Commute on one of my bikes when it's nice out. Crazy drivers here though. Kind of a shock to me when I moved here.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
truckster

Sorry; I didn't see a price on the truck.

I'd probably be willing to part with about $2,000 for something like that, but not more.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #13
Chance72

Im out in the Crosby area. Lots of idiots here that drive stupid. My dad builds bikes too. He buys some rollers then flips them for a profit. Hes teaching me some too. Right now were building a gs500 with a 900 engine in it. It did have a 600 engine but he got tired of the carbs.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #14
DownrangeFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance72 View Post
Im out in the Crosby area. Lots of idiots here that drive stupid. My dad builds bikes too. He buys some rollers then flips them for a profit. Hes teaching me some too. Right now were building a gs500 with a 900 engine in it. It did have a 600 engine but he got tired of the carbs.
Yeah, Suzuki holds on to those carbs for dear life, but gas nowadays just ruins them. And the GS500F carbs (and the carbs for the old GSXR600 engines that fit it) are gravity fed, so ethanol just globs up and clogs the jets after almost every ride. Sometimes a good shake will free them up, but don't hold your breath.

What 900 is he sticking in there? I hadn't heard about sticking a 900 in one yet. That'd be a monster.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
Chance72

Hehehe that's what I told him. I don't know if you've seen the gstwins website but the 600 build is there. I'll find the link later when I get home and have time. But as of the 900 engine he is putting I'll have to ask. We started taking out the 600 engine and got the 900 in and everything. Then he moved closer to me so that took out alot of time. Then once he got here we faced up some mounts for the engine, it's like a ga frame but beefed up. I'll have to get pics sometime. It's goin to be a hardcore bike, I know that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #16
SCHRUMGMC

Ah the Shiny paint will fool people, Just check the Engine and everything before you Trade anything..Good Luck

Welcome to the Forum ENJOY !!!
Old 03-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #17
DownrangeFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHRUMGMC View Post
Ah the Shiny paint will fool people, Just check the Engine and everything before you Trade anything..Good Luck

Welcome to the Forum ENJOY !!!
Oh well, I offered to meet him tonight and look at it if he added in $3000 cash. He declined... in a sense.

EDIT: Anyone else want to trade?

Joking... mostly.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #18
SCHRUMGMC

Ah yeah people will get like that :/

Drama, drama
Old 03-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #19
DownrangeFuture

Went off on how much he's spent on it and the paint job was more than 2000, etc.

I thought of a great comeback about polishing turds, but decided hanging up was prudent.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #20
DownrangeFuture

No post delete function?

I accidentally double posted... mod help?