The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
69SCSS

Title.

So I ran into an issue here with the new cab. My old cab is a '69, and when the guy picked it up to scrap it,he said they ask for the title when you scrap a cab. Thinking I wasn't going to need it anyway, I gave it to him, hell, he was doing me a favor, don't wanna make it a pain for him.

So I'm setting up the pickup of the cab today and the seller says on his ad the title goes with the frame. I ask him and he says the State of Oregon requires the title for the frame to scrap. CRAP! So he doesn't want to part with the title if I'm getting the cab unless I am taking the frame. I have no room for another frame, and i might run into an issue with someone else wanting to have the title to scrap the frame.

Sooooo... I may be able to get back the title for the '69 cab, since they wound up not asking for it at the scrap yard. I'll have the right frame to match the VIN but the cab won't match. I realize this might be an issue if I wind up selling the truck, but besides that what kind of issues will this cause? The cab is a killer deal so if I don't have to pass on it I don't want to... but unless I get the title back from the guy who scrapped the old cab (he's looking for the title right now) I really can't buy that cab... useless to build a truck if I can't drive it.

Thoughts?
69SCSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Re: Title.

In minnesota you can scrap a vehicle if it is considered a "hulk" with no title. That means it has been stripped bare to basically not a truck anymore. If you have to take the frame also, you can cut it into smaller sections and scrap it as clean iron probably.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
SS Tim

Keep it simple. Get both titles and the frame. Cut the frame up if it is scrap or just build your truck on the new frame and cab thus keeping it all matching numbers.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
SCHRUMGMC

Ran into something it seems man..I hate when people Scrap or Part something
Old 03-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
YBNORML

Wow! You guys sure have it hard there. In the last year I have scrapped a 68' and a 92' and it requires no proof of ownership. All I have to do is fill out a form with my name and number, and get paid.
Posted via Mobile Device

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:59 PM   #6
Spartan

Hmmm I'm not really clear on what you are trying to do but I know of a guy who lost his title and got a new one fairly easy. Lots of paperwork but they never checked the truck physically. Another person cut the vin out of the frame and welded it into the new frame to match the cab. Sounds like the guy can say he lost the title, sign on the dotted line and presto. Might need to get new plates same time. Money seems to grease the wheels of progress. Of course this is all second hand and I am no expert. Looks like you live in WA so maybe see what they say and try there? My metal guy never asked for a title, just came picked up the car and presumably crushed it...
Posted via Mobile Device

"orange rhymes with door hinge"

Last edited by Spartan; 03-26-2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: More info
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #7
1BADASSBLACK-SS!

Most states the title goes with the cab not the frame..so as long as the title matches up with the cab, you shouldnt have a problem down the road ie selling or scrapping, and honestly you could probably sell the frame instead of cutting it up, just seems like a waste to me unless the frame is bent outta shape!
Old 03-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
MARKDTN

Gonna depend on the state. In Tennessee you have to have a title for (I think) 20 years old and newer to scrap whole cars. In Georgia, I believe it is 10 years and newer. I have never tried to scrap a cab alone, but I believe with a sawzall I could get it into small enough pieces to not be a cab anymore. I have scrapped a few frames and when cut in 3 pieces they are no problem to get rid of.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
aventur1

I bought a truck from Oregon and on the title it had the frame vin number, there was no cab I.D. plate or spid on the truck, Oregon just went buy the frame I. D. number. When I went to title it in Idaho they wanted a cab I.D. that would match the frame so I had a spid made up to match the frame number. Placed it on my glove box, they looked at it and my oregon title that I was tranfering into my name and issued me a I.D. plate and rivited it onto the cab where the original plate I D would have been.. I did not want to spend the money to have an original I D plate for the cab made up and spend even more for the special rivits so this worked for me.
aventur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
FrankieD

This is how i got rid of mine I took it to a scrap yard not a junk yard, no title no vin just GONE! If you are having proplems getting rid of the frame break out the torch and make big pieces into little pieces and take it to a scrap yard.

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote