The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2013, 03:40 AM   #1
1972_Buford

Update on stalling issue. Also revisiting making it a swb

So i took the tank out and emptied the gas. Right where the sock and sending unit were at when they sat in tank was the deteriorated sock at the bottom of the tank. My guess is at speed, the pump would suck this in and clog the line. I ran new fuel line, cleaned out the tank and red-koted it. Now it drives smoothly without any stalling issues.

Now that i am able to drive it i gotta say i love the usefulness of this truck being able to put full size pieces of plywood is awesome. So now i am torn with wanting to shorten it or just go with what i have. Whoever had it before screwed with the suspension to lower it so it isnt a true 3/4 ton. Still has the axles and 8 lug but the rear is definitely missing springs.

Yes i have looked at swb frames and beds but they are an arm and a leg. I bought it with the intent on shortening it but now i am at a crossroads. I know i could find some 3/4 ton leaf springs and the would probably be the cheapest route but i honestly hate the gearing and mileage as it sits now. Plus i love the look of a swb and could probably trade what i have for suspension pieces.

I know there are opinions on both sides but i still like to hear them. Should i leave a long bed and fix the little issues and paint it or cut the frame and bed for a swb?

Thanks in advance for opinions and options
Posted via Mobile Device
1972_Buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
Shyguy

Re: Update on stalling issue. Also revisiting making it a swb

Yes you have a decision to make. A swb does look cool, I have one, but when it comes to hauling and towing stuff it does have its limitations.

I decided for that reason I had to have two trucks, one to look cool and drive and another to haul and tow with. Since I live on a farm I do not want to take my swb out into the fields.

We went the easy route when we converted the '67 C-20 to a '67 swb stepper. We found a swb donor and used the cab and front clip off of the 67 C-20. We then found a swb stepper bed. Now the truck is a 67 swb stepper with '71 frame, suspension and running gear.

From this to this.

The black truck will be used for hauling a pulling duty.
Attached Images

'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
1972_Buford

Re: Update on stalling issue. Also revisiting making it a swb

Very nice step side. My wife isnt very understanding when it comes to another car in the driveway but that would be ideal for me. Especially that black truck. I have a foxbody mustang as well and she says i have enough cars. Thks for the reply
Posted via Mobile Device
1972_Buford is offline   Reply With Quote