The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
rollingsteel

MSD Atomic LS

Has anyone tried out the new Atomic LS set up from msd? Im just looking for thoughts on it compared to going with a factory ecu. the whole setup looks simple enough from msd but just wondering if it could be pushed as far as the factory unit
rollingsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
solidaxel

Re: MSD Atomic LS

How did the price get` too you !!

Pay more for the MSD, than the engine and transmission !!

Somebody step up and buy one and let us all know how it works!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
hammer

the price just seems too high
hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
thotfulspot

I've been drooling over it, but you are right about the price. Knock $1K off it and I'd jump at it. I've got an LQ4 that I'm going to put L92 heads and a LS3 intake. It's really hard to justify another $2500 on top of that. I haven't seen anything about performance increases, just losing the wiring harness.
Posted via Mobile Device
thotfulspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
slamed67

it does not have automatic transmission controls "yet" called and talked with msd about it..
slamed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
thotfulspot

It also doesn't have drive by wire support yet either. That I can live with. The lack of transmission control would require another stand alone controller would bring the price even higher. I guess I'll just stick with the factory intake and computer for now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
rollingsteel

Thanks for the replies, the only thing killing it seems to be no dbw set up or trans controller for an automatic, you would think making it for the ls, it would have been set up to begin with dbw, but i guess on to a different solution
rollingsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
thotfulspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingsteel View Post
Thanks for the replies, the only thing killing it seems to be no dbw set up or trans controller for an automatic, you would think making it for the ls, it would have been set up to begin with dbw, but i guess on to a different solution
It really looks like a nice solution to dealing with the wiring and computer mess. I can deal with the lack of DBW support. I really don't know what market they are shooting for with the lack of transmission control. The majority of swaps I know of include the transmission. That and the price kind of turn me off. It's just new fuel rails and a tunable computer. $2500 is a lot to pay for that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #9
solidaxel

Somebody............. needs to step up and try one that is using a 5 speed, and tell us all about how much better it works than the stock harness.
Maybe a nice set up for a hot rod roadster without a hood a turbo and a 5 speed, not for us truck folks!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
thotfulspot

FAST has a similar product I read about today. Going to have to do some research on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 12:49 AM   #11
thotfulspot

The FAST EZ-EFI system looks interesting. It can work with a LS motor and electronic shifted transmission. There is the base system for $1400ish and the TCI transmission controller and a fuel pump can be added for around the same price as the Atomic LS system. Lots of different combinations. Add you choice of intakes and the sky is the limit on price. They do have a newer XFI 2.0 system but it looks a lot more complex.

Looking at the system I'm not sure what you would be gaining over a adapted harness and tuned ECU. There is still a pretty chunky wiring harness. The self learning tuning is nice, but you can get a lot of custom tuning for the price. The TCI transmission controller by itself has a lot of functionality like adapting shift points and support for manual or paddle shifting. That might be worth the $500.00 separately.

You could always go with the Inglese 8 stack with EZ-EFI for an awesome look.

http://http://www.compperformancegro...htStackSystems

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by thotfulspot; 03-31-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
nibs
JRods Garage

I plan on using the AtomicEFI for my install. To me, the price is worth not having to piece together a harness, a computer that works, getting tuned, getting the harness trimmed down, etc... I will pay a premium price for premium product! I think 67cheby has snagged MSD on his square body build with an LS powerplant. Check his build out!
Old 03-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #13
nibs
JRods Garage

Oh yea, when I talked to them at SEMA this year about it, they were working on developing a trans system, DBW, and gauge compatibility.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #14
thotfulspot

I think it has a lot of potential. It's just not there yet. I would rather use something besides messing with the stock harness and computer. The lack of a transmission controller for electronic shifting adds $400 - $500 to the price. If the product is right I don't have a problem spending extra money for it. Why else would I be replacing a perfectly good 350 / TH350 combo. What is the guage support it is missing?

I've spent too much time with electronics and computer equipment waiting for new firmware or updates to work properly. The MSD stuff is better than that. It is just hard to justify $2500.00 for something that will have all of it's functionality "soon". Maybe by the time I get to the point of actually installing the LS motor they will be farther along.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #15
thotfulspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibs View Post
I plan on using the AtomicEFI for my install. To me, the price is worth not having to piece together a harness, a computer that works, getting tuned, getting the harness trimmed down, etc... I will pay a premium price for premium product! I think 67cheby has snagged MSD on his square body build with an LS powerplant. Check his build out!
Do you have a link to his thread? All I could find was his Porterbuilt thread of 200+ pages. The motor I saw didn't look like a LS.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2013, 02:06 AM   #16
nibs
JRods Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thotfulspot View Post
Do you have a link to his thread? All I could find was his Porterbuilt thread of 200+ pages. The motor I saw didn't look like a LS.
Posted via Mobile Device
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554172
Old 04-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #17
thotfulspot

Thanks, found that one last night. I was trying to wade through the "nice truck" messages to find the actual build posts. It would be nice after a build is done if the thread could be cleaned up and locked in a separate forum. That thread is a perfect example. I think I'm on page 8 and the actual build posts would fit on one page at that point.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #18
nibs
JRods Garage

yea, sometimes the builds get out of control with the compliments and ass kissings... LOL
Old 04-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #19
thotfulspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibs View Post
yea, sometimes the builds get out of control with the compliments and ass kissings... LOL
Build threads are nice, but I think mine will on my blog site. That way it's readable and you can skip the comments if you want.

What was the gauge compatibility you spoke with MSD about? I can use a cable throttle body and the TCI or Painless transmission controllers add paddle capability which would be nice to have. It would have to work with Dakota Digital gauges. I was hoping they had a ODB connection to plug into to eliminate the individual sensors.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #20
thotfulspot

I finally heard back and also got confirmation from a supplier that MSD plans to have DBW and transmission control this summer. I'm still waiting to hear if you can update the computer when new functionality like that is added.

Now I just need to figure out if I can reuse my fuel injectors off my LQ4 that I'm going to stroke and put L92 heads on. I need to put a LS3 intake on for the heads. I can buy a new one with injectors and fuel rail for about $600. I can also buy just the intake for $200. I don't need the fuel rails because of the MSD kit, so it would be nice if I could use my LQ4 injectors and save some cash.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2013, 01:38 AM   #21
nibs
JRods Garage

As long as your injectors will put out enough fuel for what you are planning on running. When I talked to them about the system, they explained that you could use your stock injectors, coils, etc... you just tell the little programmer what items you will be using
Old 04-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #22
thotfulspot

They won't work in the LS3 intake. A new set of LS3 run around $500 so I'll end up buying the LS3 intake with the injectors. I know the truck intake flows as well, but The truck intake won't work with the L92 heads.

So I'll end up with the LQ4 block possibly stroked, L92 heads, LS3 intake, and the MSD EFI. The motor will end up costing me more than the truck it's going in.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #23
hammer

checked this system out at the NHRA in Houston, Clran looking system and does make things incredibly easy. If your doing a show truck with a nice engine, this is the way to go. The rep said no plans for tranny control though
Old 05-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #24
thotfulspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
checked this system out at the NHRA in Houston, Clran looking system and does make things incredibly easy. If your doing a show truck with a nice engine, this is the way to go. The rep said no plans for tranny control though
That's strange about the tranny control. In their support forum and a notice sent out to dealers says they will have it this summer along with DBW.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #25
hammer

My reason for not wanting tranny control was to put an LS in a 89 4x4. Got tons of money in tranny and transfer case and it kinda works the way i want it. But then again, the Jimmy aint that nice.............yet.