The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
Gmcfolife

Does this look right?

I installed a rear sway bar on my 68 gmc leaf spring truck today. For some reason it doesn't look quite right. First the end links are at an angle and the the bend in the bar is offset from the differential pan. What do you think? Will this work? Should I try and drill new holes for the end links closer?
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Gmcfolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
Gmcfolife

Re: Does this look right?

Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmcfolife View Post
... For some reason it doesn't look quite right. First the end links are at an angle and the the bend in the bar is offset from the differential pan...
The reason appears to be the fact your truck is lowered, a lot!
First just take the endlink hardware off.
Make sure the bar is centered by measuring to the spring perches.
The bar needs to be centered to prevent weight jacking effect. The center bend is the center of the bar and is there to clear the differental not form fit. Once you are sure it is centered (and the axle if you changed the spring saddles) then rotate the bar to a level position. This will give you an idea where the verticle links need to mount and how long. From the picture I think it is going to be fairly short. The problem is the bar cannot contact the frame through full suspension travel. Such are the issues you decide to correct or live with when you become a suspension engineer.

At this point I would first make sure the pinion angle is correct at ride height for the assembled truck before worrying more about the anti-roll bar.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
Gmcfolife

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
The reason appears to be the fact your truck is lowered, a lot!
First just take the endlink hardware off.
Make sure the bar is centered by measuring to the spring perches.
The bar needs to be centered to prevent weight jacking effect. The center bend is the center of the bar and is there to clear the differental not form fit. Once you are sure it is centered (and the axle if you changed the spring saddles) then rotate the bar to a level position. This will give you an idea where the verticle links need to mount and how long. From the picture I think it is going to be fairly short. The problem is the bar cannot contact the frame through full suspension travel. Such are the issues you decide to correct or live with when you become a suspension engineer.

At this point I would first make sure the pinion angle is correct at ride height for the assembled truck before worrying more about the anti-roll bar.

Ok perfect. I will try that. Thanks for your advice.
Posted via Mobile Device