The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
Tillik

Are Roll Pans Legal?

Is it legal to use a front/rear roll pan in place of a bumper? They def look awesome. My guess is you would have to have a bar or something hidden inside the pan. Would hate to go thru that work and not pass a safety inspection.
Tillik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
jocko

Re: Are Roll Pans Legal?

I have always wondered exactly that same question.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
buckskins4ever

Guys I think, but could be corrected, that due to our trucks being grandfathered in before the Federal Safety Standards were raised....Things like seat belts and the 30mph crush bumper dont apply to us. As a Matter of fact, if you go back to as late as 1994-2000 you will find that Chevrolet even produced both the S10 and the 454 SS Silverado with roll pans in the rear and a specialty shaved style front bumper for a more slim sleek look. ford did the same thing with the F150 Lightning.
buckskins4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
Square_78

Probably depends on where you live also. Here in BC, Canada, trucks dont require rear bumpers because there are so many different options available, especially on older trucks. You do need lisence plate lights though for where ever your plate gets mounted.

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

The easy answer is "no",not in any state that requires bumpers because you wouldn't be having any. If you register it historic then most states don't require a safety inspection.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
Rctreadaway

I've always heard that the bed of the truck is considered a crumple zone so roll pans are ok. however not on suv's cause there is nothing in between the passenger compartment and the impact zone?
Posted via Mobile Device
Rctreadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
bollybib

As I recall, if the truck left the factory with no rear bumper (which is the way many of ours did), then it is not required. Check your SPID and your state's DMV regs.

I've been running bumperless for a couple of years now with no problem. (California)

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911
bollybib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Here in calif they had a thing back in 1989 for seat belts.Saying if your car or truck did not come with them you did not need to put them in.But 5 years later the Feds jumps in and put a stop to that and said every thing will have seat belts.That ment if yours did not come with one you will have at least have a Lap belt
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollybib View Post
As I recall, if the truck left the factory with no rear bumper (which is the way many of ours did), then it is not required. Check your SPID and your state's DMV regs.

I've been running bumperless for a couple of years now with no problem. (California)
I bet you have a hitch in the back of your truck.To many tail gaters and people on there cell phones or texting.Me i rather have a hard ass bumper in the back.if not BENT frame and dog lagging.I want who ever going to hit me to Think and say i don't really want my new or old car any more
Old 03-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rctreadaway View Post
I've always heard that the bed of the truck is considered a crumple zone so roll pans are ok. however not on suv's cause there is nothing in between the passenger compartment and the impact zone?
Posted via Mobile Device
one other reason why not for suburbans is the GAS tank Now most of the guys out here in Calif relocate the gas tank and you need a bumper back there a roll pan will not stop anything unless you have one of them plastic tanks