The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
tubbed55

Quality parts

Does anyone know if all the remanufactured parts are made the same place so all the catalogs sell the same stuff... Reason I ask is I got another order in today and not happy with the quality. It has been a while since I have restored a vehicle and know reman parts are not as good as original but they were never this bad. One thing I got was the visor rod.. Did not say it came with screws so I bought them separate. The screws that came with the rod are huge compared to original and like what they sent me separate. You can see grind marks on the rod...finish is terrible, and look like it was spray painted silver. If I were to clean up my original rod, paint it with silver Krylon, it would look better then this piece... Are all places the same way...
tubbed55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
lowdownstar
big guy

Re: Quality parts

who did you get the parts from?

Ray
lowdownstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
62lwbc10

I find its hit or miss with the quality of the repop parts. Some parts Ive gotten have been total garbage that needed all kinds of modification. Other parts have been really high quality. I restored a 62 and it was the same way, some parts were great and others were really not good at all. Ive had good luck with Classic Parts and of course, you cant go wrong with Mar-K, but they only reproduce certain parts. Incidentally, I just received a set of visor arms from Classic Parts and they seem pretty good. I use Totally Stainless for all my fasteners and they make nice stuff.
62lwbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
tubbed55

Classic parts is were I got this stuff... So far out of everything I have got the visor rod is junk....The interior cab light lens don't fit the assembly well. The door, window and misc seals have been good... The door handles were good. Maybe I got a bad batch...Now will probably cost me almost what the part cost to ship back... Kind of hard to see in the picture but I will try...Also is a picture of the screws that came with the visor rod and the separate visor rod screw I bought.. See the difference in size...The screw provided were huge.. I bought a new black visor but was on backorder... Hope it is nice..
Attached Images

tubbed55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
blue57

I think it depends on what you are getting i have gotten parts from brothers, truck and car shop and Mar-k. So far so good. However body panels...... thats another story. Totally stainless has really nice hardware kits.