The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2013, 12:44 AM   #1
beardexplosion

67' Motor swap questions

Hello all, I am new to the forum. I recently purchased a 67' with a 250 and a three on the tree. The motor had a pretty bad rod knock, which I tried to patch by putting new bearings in. But in the process I snapped a stud on one of the rods. I had planned on putting a small block in the truck anyways so its not that huge of a deal.

So this is where my questions begin. I know that the small block will use the same motor mounts and bolt up to the transmission. What I am confused about is the linkage, it bolts up to the motor right now. So I was wondering if anyone knew if most or all small blocks had the holes for the linkage mounts that the 3 spd uses.

Also if anyone has any advice for pulling the inline six and or pulling a small block that would be helpful. I have rebuilt several motorcycle engines so I understand the mechanics of working on motors. But there is often little tricks to doing things like pulling motors that I am not aware of.

For all that here are some pics of the truck.

beardexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: 67' Motor swap questions

You'll need to screw one of these into the threaded hole in the side of the V8 block....

http://www.classicparts.com/1963-84-.../#.UVlgxzdr28A

Then you'll need to take a hacksaw and shorten the z bar a little bit where it slips onto the pivot ball. It's a slam dunk deal. Don't get too excited about it if it seems confusing. When you drop the V8 in place and screw the pivot ball into the block, it will be absolutely self explanatory to you as to how much to shorten the Z bar. Just hold it down there and eyeball it.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
WIDESIDE72

I don't believe the v8 will mount using the six cylinder stands. I always swap them for v8 stands. I am just up the road from you and have a pair for sale, btw.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=534812
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
Tx Firefighter

The V8 will drop right on to the 250 six cylinder stands. You can take that to the bank. I've done it multiple times. It will not drop onto 292 six cylinder stands.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
beardexplosion

Alright Thank you guys! I had read that the smaller inline six uses the same motor mounts, where as the 292 six used offset mounts. This appears to be the case so that should be pretty straight forward.

Another questions I have is if the 3 spd will be up to the task behind the small block. I'm not building a hot rod motor or anything, but I really don't know much about these 3 spd gear boxes.
beardexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
Tx Firefighter

The 3 speed will be fine as long as you don't abuse it. I've run them a lot of times without issue behind strong small blocks. Just don't beat on it too much.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
The V8 will drop right on to the 250 six cylinder stands. You can take that to the bank. I've done it multiple times. It will not drop onto 292 six cylinder stands.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have done several 6 cyl /3ott to sbc/ auto swaps and had the luxury of having a complete donor truck, so I just swapped everything over. I never tried using the 6cyl stands, since I had the sbc stands already...
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
Sammy

Don't forget a V-8 shroud in the swap.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote