The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
JointTech

faster than a redneck

anybody watching? Pretty funny. I havent seen one of our trucks but there was a 60-66. Got his butt handed to him though.

Some of the races I cant believe in either direction. Like the Lambo getting beaten.

I'm suprised that even with the suspension upgrades on some of the cars they are still getting smoked by the tuners.

I would have assumed a cutome suspension + 600 horse power should pretty much beat them all but most of those cars cant turn at all.

Is that the best we can expect out of porterbuilt/cpp stuff? (I have no idea what suspensions they are running)

so who's 67-72 can take that Nissan?
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
MSHax

Re: faster than a redneck

I see pro-touring cars all the time, but very few pro-touring trucks. I've seen a couple episodes, and I'm surprised too! Some of these guys should be blowing these little tuners out of the water.

Oh yeah...and as far as beating the GTR goes, my 70 couldn't even beat my Sienna minivan.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
rattle69

I've been watching, havn't seen the episode with the c-10 yet but saw the preview. I don't think any truck can take one of those Nissan's. Not unless it has a real poor driver in it.

It is a fun show to watch
rattle69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
CC69Rat

Easy choice for me. This, or a Ricer ?
Attached Images

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
JointTech

have you ever put yours on the skidpad or whatever to see the g rating?
Can you take that GTR?

What about the Sooooooper Chicken. bawk bawk bawk.

they had Bo Duke on. He cant drive so good. They had a wallace brother. cant remember which. he did much better.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
CC69Rat

No no .. not my truck, but I WISH it was ..

Just saying, I'd like to see this one or Rob's truck against one the foreign rides. There are definitely trucks out there that can hold their own, but the fact is they just weren't designed for road course racing. Maybe the GTR could haul a load of sheetrock at Home Depot? OR a load of mulch or something (?)

Just not an Apples to Apples comparison IMO. While still ,the C10 of this caliber ^^ would have a chance at beating him.

1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
Old 04-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
JointTech

ah ok. Yea the GTR is the far end. But damn it hurt to see that Audi station wagon beat everybody.
or the supercharged late model camera get beaten by a beemer. (ok he cut his line off and took a smack to the face for it, but still.)

I wanna see this american steel really stomp on these ricers.

They have the HP you can see them leave the import behind on the straights but then they spinout in the corners.

oh well Ill keep rooting for the american cars. hehe
Old 04-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
Longhorn 70

Load a ton of wet dirt in the trunk of one of the cars on there and we'll see if it can keep up with me.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
MSHax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn 70 View Post
Load a ton of wet dirt in the trunk of one of the cars on there and we'll see if it can keep up with me.

Yeah that's definitely a problem! I've had dozens of imports, and far too many domestics. A BMW m3 with just the driver is fast as hell, but add a few friends and you're in a regular car. My 69 lincoln with a 460 felt exactly the same solo or loaded down with 5 people. Something to be said for torque
Old 04-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Ive been watching, but wonder how much of it is contrived. Many of those pro touring cars should blow away most of those imports. Have you noticed how many times the redneck goes wide in a turn or spins into the grass. They cant all be that bad.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
JointTech

yea thats what i was wondering about myself.
Usually the import would be lighter as well but I saw a bunch were the US car was 1000 pounds lighter and still couldnt turn.
That white M3 was over 4200 pounds and still made it to the last round before suuupppper chicken took it down.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #12
68Stepbed

I've rubbed shoulders with most of the drivers on the show. I've even rode in the Finch's "Silver Bullet" Camaro. I've watched Kyle Tucker drive in person also. The episodes where they barely beat the Subarus was for entertainment purposes. I could tell Finch and Tucker were sandbagging their cars.

I think Jon Schneider(Bo Duke) was thrown into a car he had no experience in. He actually can drive, but I can imagine he hasn't spent much time behind the wheel of that Camaro.

In last night's episode, Finch was just showing off in his C10.

The white Beemer was an M6, not an M3. That's a whole other animal.

The banter between Reep and Ken Squire is what makes the show, IMO.

Read more comments about the show here--> http://www.pro-touring.com/forumdisp...dneck-TV-Show&

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #13
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Dont get me wrong. I still find it entertaining. Im just sayin... take no prisoners and let the chips fall where they may. It would make it far more entertaining if they just ran flat out and if they got some worthy import opponents.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #14
CC69Rat

May Rob can come play with them?

Old 04-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #15
OptimaJim

Rob & Phil's trucks both competed in our 2012 Ultimate Street Car Invitational, along with many of the rednecks and more than a few imports, including a Lamborghini and a GTR that were far more prepared than either of their counterparts in the redneck show. Finch and Tucker were both competing as well and neither were sandbagging (I have yet to hear any of the rednecks or contenders say their racing on the redneck show was contrived, staged or sandbagged in any way).

Several of the rednecks will be back at CMP later this month, for the Detroit Speed Southern Slam. It is a qualifying event for the 2013 OUSCI, but it is not wheel to wheel. Even though we had five 67-72 Chevys in our event last year, we're always looking for new competitors.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries
OptimaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #16
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I saw the previews for the show but it really didnt look like something that would turn my crank. I fully expected the tuner cars to win. But it doesnt hit me in a bad way at all.

I would still rather have crazy fun vintage American Iron over any tuner/BMW etc etc even if they can whip my butt in some sort of race.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #17
71sixgun

Talking Re: faster than a redneck

apples to apples.... I'd rather watch a C10 go up against an old F100 or an old Dodge, thats if you can find an old Dodge..
71sixgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #18
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

This show is complete cheese, its like comparing apples to cherries... Not even cherries, more like the cherry pits. I just seen a $90K fully race tuned trans am with 600+ hp go against a 200hp honda S2000.. C'mon! thats not even entertainment, youcan tell the trans am was jerking his chain just for fun.

I have owned both domestic and import, also hammered on a few ss camaros and mustangs. From my experience a factory import will slaugher a factory domestic. The last import i owned was a 2009 VW GTI, since then I still haven't driven a domestic that handled nearly as good.
Posted via Mobile Device
smoknbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #19
weever82

Did anyone see the red (I think it was an RX-7) car with the corvette engine in it? He was all pissed off that they disqualified him because he had American muscle under the hood. Haha, sounded sweet!
Posted via Mobile Device

Life's tough...... It's even tougher when your stupid - John Wayne
weever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #20
Madtat

Them thar southern boys sho got som mean cam-arrows and must-tangs!

I enjoy that show because of the way the Cameros and Mustangs are set up. The owners have put some big bucks into suspension and motors ect. ect. Those cars are a big differance form the generic pro-street, 1/4 mile, and Friday night stop light grand prix stuff you see all over. How with all that raw horsepower can they loose to ricers and euros I'll never understand.

OR....could it be like Pro wrestling?
Madtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #21
72chevyk10
I built it

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoknbarrels View Post
I have owned both domestic and import, also hammered on a few ss camaros and mustangs. From my experience a factory import will slaugher a factory domestic. The last import i owned was a 2009 VW GTI, since then I still haven't driven a domestic that handled nearly as good.
Posted via Mobile Device
how many rednecks have you seen with a car/truck that was stock for more then a week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I think the best and cheapest performance mod is to have someone that knows what the hell they are doing perform a tuneup on said vehicle.
72chevyk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #22
MSHax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevyk10 View Post
how many rednecks have you seen with a car/truck that was stock for more then a week?
HEY! HEY! HEY! I resemble that remark!

Not the redneck part, but the modding stuff issue. It's a disorder really. I believe the medical term is "cant-leave-it-aloneism".

I'm good for about 2 weeks before something has to change. When I turned 18 I went out and bought a brand new Izusu Imark. I literally drove from the lot to my work where I gutted the car. I was a stereo installer back then. It was in my shop for about a month where I put more than double the cars value worth of car audio equipment. Less than 15 miles and it was already modded with over $25,000 in equipment.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #23
tazzz2

I lived on the set for over two weeks and can tell you non of the cars are what they appear on the outside... Everyone had their share of difficulty on that track in turn one... Unfortunately I was not vetted by Speed to be in front of a camera and my friend Bill Howell step in to drive for me...

Unfortunately turn one was really turn one for Bill in that car LOL.... 640RWHP in a light 70 Firebird Formula chassis is a handful at the best of times, let alone the first time.

We've now started a new build and if they renew the show with Speed for season two I hope to have either an underway really cool 73TA or this new C-10 project ready for filming (and hopefully driving myself)...
tazzz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #24
JointTech

i'd like to see that truck run!!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #25
tazzz2

It should be interesting JointTech as plan to run a Corvette C-5 6 speed suspension with the trans axle IRS in the rear with a stroker LS based motor.. we're also looking at an air over coil-over bump stops...

Some trick undercarriage treatments are computer modeling currently as well and with the net combo of efforts hope to create a uniquely balanced truck with scarey good handling capabilities.. BTW the whole front end will be built in Carbon Fiber parts (every panel, the Rad support, inner fenders, bumper and Splitter as well)
tazzz2 is offline   Reply With Quote