The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #1
BrianV

anyone recomend a certain brand of metal building

I'm looking for recommendations on steel building companies for a 60 x 40,building or any other suggestions for doing a building. Any info is appreciated.

Thx
Brian
BrianV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: anyone recomend a certain brand of metal building

Depends on what you want and want to spend. Morton Buildings are the highest priced ones that are in my area. They wanted almost a third more for a building with less in it than what I finally got. Their buildings are poles with concrete floors and then if you want insulation, it gets pricey after that. Butler Buildings are metal frame and steel siding and they are just behind Morton in cost. I found a local builder that put my 40 X 40 shop up with 12 foot ceilings, 2X6 framing and steel siding inside and out. 9" insulation in the ceiling and 6" in the walls for around $22,000, including concrete floor and approach ramps. I have three insulated steel roll up doors one 12X10 and the other two are 10X8, along with two walk in doors. That was several years ago, and the cost of building has grown with the demand. I did my own wiring with the wire in conduits and a 8000 lb two-post llift.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:56 AM   #3
78bronzechariot

Re: anyone recomend a certain brand of metal building

My help may not be of much use. My shop is in a rural area of Illinois, several places build what's called a pole barn here. Steel siding around a wooden post frame. Very common in agriculture for just about anything from livestock to auto repair shops. There are big name companies like Morton, but I found the best deal was to go with an independent contractor. My shop was built in 4 days. Granted I was waiting four months on the list, and I have not insulated yet, and did my own electrical and equipment installations. My shop is a 30x40 with 14ft ceiling to allow room for a the two post lift and room for a loft for storage in the future. Concrete is 5" under the lift and 4" through the rest. $18,000 in December 2011 including fill for the slope of the lot and gravel for the driveway. My best advice is to build it bigger than you you need, I didn't realize how much stuff I had and have parked a vehicle on the lift and one underneath a few times to get four vehicles in with all my other junk.
Attached Images

78bronzechariot is offline   Reply With Quote