The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
towbar

Location: Marshall, NC....heart of the Appalachians.....aka, Gods country!!
best carpet sets and who to buy from??

gathering parts for my 72 build, changing the interior color from black to red to give it some sex appeal to it. Who makes the best fitting molded loop carpet sets for these trucks? I have used ACC carpets many times and for the most part have been pleased with final fit but it takes way too much trimming to get them to fit correctly. Is there something better than ACC?? Is there a company that makes carpets that have the sewn edges that are correct fitting, and a direct drop in, no trimming required??
towbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Lattimer

Re: best carpet sets and who to buy from??

I bought an ACC carpet through RockAuto last month and didn't have to trim it at all. I just had to cut holes for the shifter and the dimmer switch.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
nicolas72gmc

I got mine from Mark at ECE. I don't know what brand it was but it fit very well and just had to cut for the dimmer as well.
Attached Images

"Everyone has a plan, 'till they get punched in the mouth".........Mike Tyson

1968, GMC, SWB, Project
1972, GMC, LWB, Daily Driver, 383, headers, 2.5"/3" exhaust, 200r4, 3.5/5 ECE components.
1972, C/10, LWB, 350 vortec, th350
nicolas72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
towbar

My expierence with the ACC carpets I have installed, probably 5 or 6 different ones in various types of cars and truck but never a 67-72 era chevy, was that each carpet needed trimming along each side, along the front and sometimes in the back on pick-ups. Usually a couple inches on the sides, and 2-4 in the front to get the heel pad placement in the correct location. The fit and finish was overall good and the quaility of the carpet was nice as well, but the extra trimming took lots of time since it was an "ease upon approach" because one wrong cut and and the carpet was JUNK and thats what i want to avoid on this one....since I'm bound to make a mistake sometime!!! Now maybe i was buying the "bargin" ACC carpet because mine typically costed no more than $130. Is there a "priemium" carpet that cost more, but doesnt require trimming??
Old 04-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
Longhorn 70

ACC for the Corvette and soon to go into the Longhorn. The Vette install was flawless....
Unbolt seats, sill plates and console
Put carpet down
Install seats, sill plates and console.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
MSHax

Funny you should ask, just did mine this past weekend. I went with a Trim Parts carpet kit, I bought it from Matts Classic Bowties. It installed very easily and was a perfect fit. I bought the carpet for the tank removed cab, I still have my tank, but planning ahead.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by towbar View Post
My expierence with the ACC carpets I have installed, probably 5 or 6 different ones in various types of cars and truck but never a 67-72 era chevy, was that each carpet needed trimming along each side, along the front and sometimes in the back on pick-ups. Usually a couple inches on the sides, and 2-4 in the front to get the heel pad placement in the correct location. The fit and finish was overall good and the quaility of the carpet was nice as well, but the extra trimming took lots of time since it was an "ease upon approach" because one wrong cut and and the carpet was JUNK and thats what i want to avoid on this one....since I'm bound to make a mistake sometime!!! Now maybe i was buying the "bargin" ACC carpet because mine typically costed no more than $130. Is there a "priemium" carpet that cost more, but doesnt require trimming??
I think mine was about $120-$130 at Rock Auto. There was a more expensive version also. The edges of the carpet were trimmed out with a vinyl edging, and like I said, it fit perfect. I was pleasantly surprised, especially after my $180 debacle with an LMC rubber floor mat.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
FirstOwner69

I installed ACC with mass backing in November when it was about 30 degrees. I followed directions and left it unfolded in the house a few days to reduce the fold lines. It installed quite well, and I really would not have had to trim. However, I did cut about 1-1/2" off where it goes under the sill plates to remove the binding along the edge and allow the plates to fit better. I would not have had to do that, but, since that's the way GM did the original, I figured it would be a good idea. Overall, I was very pleased with everything except that the heel pad is not quite in the right place. That's OK though since I'll be using mats.

I found the best price at from Rock Auto and recommend them as well as ACC.

Remember, patience and time are your friend when you do this. Nice warm weather is a plus as it would aid the "workability" of the mass backed carpet... if that's what you select.

An installation tip I found in a video on one of the carpet websites is to cut the holes using a hole saw IN REVERSE. I have factory buckets and had to cut about 25 holes! I located the hole locations from underneath the truck using an icepick, marked each hole with a white marker, and held the carpet above the floor when cutting the hole. I used either a 3/4" or 1" hole saw.

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 04-09-2013 at 01:40 PM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
MSHax

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
....I have factory buckets and had to cut about 25 holes! I located the hole locations from underneath the truck using an icepick. I used either a 3/4" or 1" hole saw.
Funny!

I installed seats from a 04 silverado, with a center console from an 09. Luckily I only had about 8 holes to drill, but yeah...I feel your pain.

Actually I had 10 holes since I had to cut slits for the seat heaters.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHax View Post
Funny!

I installed seats from a 04 silverado, with a center console from an 09. Luckily I only had about 8 holes to drill, but yeah...I feel your pain.

Actually I had 10 holes since I had to cut slits for the seat heaters.
But... that included 4 holes for the console and a couple for the accelerator studs on my 69.

Here's a picture of the carpet with floor mats in place and the original tank carpet.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #11
MSHax

That looks sharp! I like the buckets, but I have 2 little boys that ride with me occasionally, so that meant the center seat/console was the only way to go. I'm not really the "bench seat" type of guy.

I like the carpeted back panel. As soon as I get rid of ol dynamite in back, I'll start building my compartments/speaker setup behind my seats.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #12
Tillik

subd
Tillik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #13
Wrenchbender Ret

I got one for my 56 from LMC & it is junk.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #14
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

Trim parts best out there!
Posted via Mobile Device

Direct dealers for..

Vintage Air, Porterbuilt, Billet Specialties,Budnik wheels ,eddie motorsports, raceline wheels, intro wheels, Dakota Digital, precision, unisteer, Trimparts, and many many more... Laid Back Recreations.. Full restoration shop and full paint and body..

Kyle

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=574629
screaminchevypickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #15
lrader99

Stock interiors. Ordered for high hump with no gas tank thick plush pile with mass backing and finished edges. Took about 5 days to receive not bad for a custom order. Fit perfectly. I also ordered an extra yard of carpet to do the rear interior wall.
Posted via Mobile Device
lrader99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #16
Orange67

OK.... you guys are scaring me. I should receive my new carpet from Brothers on Wednesday. Anybody had experience with the kit from them?

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #17
JWall
Frequent Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaminchevypickup View Post
Trim parts best out there!
Posted via Mobile Device
X2

Used Trim Parts Carpet in several 67-72's and been pleased.
JWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #18
towbar

quote from Trim Parts website: " we leave all carpets long and wide, so the customer can achieve a custom fit to their car. There will be cutting and modification involved in the installation process"

....cutting is what I'm trying to avoid if its available. Sounds like some have had to trim and some do not?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #19
MSHax

I guess I did miss that part of your original post. I didn't have to trim anything. I haven't put anything back together yet so I went out and took a couple pics.

You can see how close it is to the kick panel, it's a PERFECT fit. The other pic is at the door sill. It lines up perfectly with the edge.

I can't say anything about all their products, but the Trim Parts carpet I bought for my Camaros and Chevy Trucks are spot on.

I did want to say that no matter who you get your carpet from, you will always have to make holes for things like seats/shifter/high beam switch. There are too many variations for a company to make EVERY version. For this project, I like that it wasn't cut for seat bolts and high beam because I have a 04 seat for my truck, and I'm not using the factory high beam switch.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #20
towbar

Quote:
I guess I did miss that part of your original post. I didn't have to trim anything. I haven't put anything back together yet so I went out and took a couple pics.

You can see how close it is to the kick panel, it's a PERFECT fit. The other pic is at the door sill. It lines up perfectly with the edge.

I can't say anything about all their products, but the Trim Parts carpet I bought for my Camaros and Chevy Trucks are spot on.

I did want to say that no matter who you get your carpet from, you will always have to make holes for things like seats/shifter/high beam switch. There are too many variations for a company to make EVERY version. For this project, I like that it wasn't cut for seat bolts and high beam because I have a 04 seat for my truck, and I'm not using the factory high beam switch.
yeah, no issues with making the holes for seats/belts/dimmer etc, just looking for a carpet set that I don't have to trim sides and lengths....last set I almost trimmed to narrow. Your carpet looks awesome, like the finished edges....are you satisfied with the molded area fitment?
Old 04-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #21
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrader99 View Post
Stock interiors. Ordered for high hump with no gas tank thick plush pile with mass backing and finished edges. Took about 5 days to receive not bad for a custom order. Fit perfectly. I also ordered an extra yard of carpet to do the rear interior wall.
Posted via Mobile Device
FYI... Stock Interiors sells ACC carpet.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #22
FirstOwner69

Quote:

That is the way my ACC fit also. However, I think you may find that the sill plates will lie better if you cut the binding off about 1" in from the rocker and about 1" toward the center of the sill plate. That's how GM did it in my 69. Also, the original carpet in my bucket seat CST did not extend under the seats or console. Totally bare floor pan. I think it may have in later years. That's the way it was for the 43+ years I've had it. For reference, here's a pic of my 100% original carpet after I removed it last November. You can see how they trimmed the sill plate area.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #23
Orange67

My 67 has original buckets, and had the original carpet in it (or rather what was left of it) and it didn't go all the way under the seats either. I just got my kit, it is Trim Parts, looks great.

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #24
Adam D

Great thread! Getting ready to redo my interior. It's nice on these boards to just hear experiences and preferences, rather than endless whining about how things aren't just plug and play.
Adam D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #25
codeJbird

Trim parts has so many styles. I dont know which is good. What did yall get? And I'm assuming that the TURBOHYDROMATIC TRANS means high hump?