The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Blue_Aura

Getting Stressed About Finishing Truck in Time...

Just a little bit of venting, since I can't really talk to my wife about it, and all she is doing is stressing me out more by reminding me about the current situation.... You guys (and gals) will definitely understand how I am feeling and what I am up against.

Background: I originally traded my custom motorcycle for the truck. The truck had a bad rod knock and would lose internal oil pressure as soon as it warmed up (also would dump tons of oil out the rear main seal).

So, for those of you that don't know already, I have been working on my 62 Shorty in order to sell it to pay for our medicals bills for our baby boy due in July. I need to get a certain amount for the truck, and I have spent an additional $1500 on parts and supplies. I still need to buy all the fluids, 2 front tires, 2 brake lines, and the wood for the bed. My wife is stressing out because we have pretty much spent all of our money and are now spending the "baby" money. I could have just swapped the motor and sold it as is, but I felt that by investing time and money, I could get a lot more for it, plus I could make it a lot more desirable and could sell it faster than if I just replaced the motor and left everything the way it is.

So, I got another engine that I am using the bottom end from and started tearing her apart. So far, I have the front clip off, the old 350 out, and the donor engine tore down to the block. I still need to remove the heads, intake, and carb off of the old engine and get them cleaned up, then install them onto the donor block. Then I need to paint the block and start transferring (and cleaning up and repainting) all accessories off the old engine.

After that, I need to cleanup the firewall, frame, and suspension and repaint them. Then repaint the inner fenders. After that, I will install the new brake booster and M/C and get everything bled. Once that is all ready, I will install the engine and get the HEI hooked up. Still waiting on my cluster rebuild, so I will install that when I get it, plus paint various dash pieces and steering wheel and column to match each other. Put the front all back together and start working on the bed.

All this by the end of May to early June!!! Oh, I only really have one true day a week to work on it, and usually, that day I am pulled away many times or for long periods. I work 10.5 hours a day, have a 4 hour commute, and serve in my church and spend a lot of time preparing for Sunday service and Friday night practices. Needless to say, I am pretty burnt out and stressed. In some ways, I wish I would have just swapped the motor and sold it as is, but this will be the last classic I probably will ever get a chance to work on.

I cannot finish some of the things on my to do list, due to time and money, so the windows will not get new felts (which they really need) and I can't get the missing center caps for my rims. Hopefully, my plan will work out for the bed and everything will be fine there.

Thanks for all of you that actually read all of this rant.... it helped to at least get it out of my head. Thanks for all of your help I have received from this awesome forum!

Here's how she sits right now:
Attached Images

Some Past Projects:
'69 Nova - 350 , '70 1/2 Camaro Z28 - LT1 350, '73 K20 Full-time 4x4 - 400 SB, '77 1/2 Camaro Z28 - 350, '84 Camaro Z28 - 305, '68 Buick - 430 BB
Blue_Aura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
Rich 5150 69

Re: Getting Stressed About Finishing Truck in Time...

There have been many of us that have been in this situation before and know how you feel, some here have sold projects uncompleted just to get out from under it, some have put them on hold til the sitiation changes for the better, I have sold projects half done and really wish I hadn`t but you do what you have to do, but we feel for you in your time of crisis....
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Corts60
Just here to tinker

I feel ya brother. This is classic snow balling at its finest. It is truly hard to keep any project from snow balling in my house.

I am in a similar situation only I am in a rush to get it together before the big car shows start, so much less stress than what you are dealing with. Keep your chin up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
Blue_Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
I feel ya brother. This is classic snow balling at its finest. It is truly hard to keep any project from snow balling in my house.

I am in a similar situation only I am in a rush to get it together before the big car shows start, so much less stress than what you are dealing with. Keep your chin up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the support. I was aiming to make a few car shows before I sold it (also to help advertise it), but I missed those deadlines too!

Good luck on keeping your snowball from becoming an avalanche!

Some Past Projects:
'69 Nova - 350 , '70 1/2 Camaro Z28 - LT1 350, '73 K20 Full-time 4x4 - 400 SB, '77 1/2 Camaro Z28 - 350, '84 Camaro Z28 - 305, '68 Buick - 430 BB
Old 04-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Blue_Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 5150 69 View Post
There have been many of us that have been in this situation before and know how you feel, some here have sold projects uncompleted just to get out from under it, some have put them on hold til the sitiation changes for the better, I have sold projects half done and really wish I hadn`t but you do what you have to do, but we feel for you in your time of crisis....
Thanks Rich! You actually added to my stress by posting that nice 61 with the 383 Stroker for $7500!! LOL, just kidding! Actually, I'm glad you posted it, so I can watch to see if it sells soon. I am thinking about going and seeing it in person, because it seems way too low of a price for what he has listed.

I told my wife that if I couldn't get at least $6500 for it, that I would HAVE to keep it... problem is, now we are in dire straights for money, and I might actually just have to take the loss. She was asking me to sell it all apart, but I told her we would REALLY lose money if I did that!

Some Past Projects:
Old 04-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Rich 5150 69

If you have to sell minimise the cost to get it up and running...! Most people will understand if you cut some corners....things like no bed wood yet, they might want something differant, so on....
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
Blue_Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 5150 69 View Post
If you have to sell minimise the cost to get it up and running...! Most people will understand if you cut some corners....things like no bed wood yet, they might want something differant, so on....
I'm still going back and forth on the bed... I have a chance to get some material for free that will really be a nice usable bed. Problem is, if I do it, it would be hard to remove it later if someone wanted to put in a wood bed.

Some Past Projects:
Old 04-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
jesseo

Get it up and on the road. A clean sheet of plywood with a finish side up would get it sold. Clean it. Tires from the local wrecker. You can probably get your brake lines there too. So they come off 87, they are still 20 years newer than the rest of the lines. I would get it on the road as cheap as I could and get it back together. Happy wife and happy life. Makes it easier to get the next project that comes along to when you have $$$ again some year. I delivered pizzas for a while when my kids were little to make ends meet. You can do this we got your back here.
jesseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
Blue_Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseo View Post
Get it up and on the road. A clean sheet of plywood with a finish side up would get it sold. Clean it. Tires from the local wrecker. You can probably get your brake lines there too. So they come off 87, they are still 20 years newer than the rest of the lines. I would get it on the road as cheap as I could and get it back together. Happy wife and happy life. Makes it easier to get the next project that comes along to when you have $$$ again some year. I delivered pizzas for a while when my kids were little to make ends meet. You can do this we got your back here.
Good idea about the brake lines! Thanks! Also, thanks for the post. I do everything I can to help my family; that's why I'm working so long of hours and so far from home, just so they have it better than we did growing up.

Happy Wife, happy life... you said it!! Another one... When Mommy is upset, everybody cares... when Daddy's upset, who cares! LOL

Some Past Projects:
Old 04-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #10
Blue_Aura

I just found out that I have to sing and play 1 or 2 songs (which I haven't ever played before) at my Sister-In-Law's Father's viewing (he passed away Sunday) tomorrow night! Family obligation, even though I hate funerals and especially viewings. That will put me behind on other stuff, which means less time on the truck this weekend! I just need to call in sick from work for 3 days before a 3 day weekend, then I can bust this thing out! Lol...

Some Past Projects:
Old 04-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
gofastnut

Blue Aura,
I can appreciate what you're going through. My baby was a 67 Chevelle. Got into dire $ problems and had to sell her. I also understand the work and church thing.
My $.02 is to prioritize getting it road worthy, then see about the other things. I think if a buyer could drive it around the block, that might make more of an impression than just a rolling chassis.
Lay your head back, take a breath, and remember, God's got it under control, whether we do or not.
Take care,
Jeff
C-10 Club
My achingly slow build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=508345
gofastnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #12
Blue_Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastnut View Post
Blue Aura,
I can appreciate what you're going through. My baby was a 67 Chevelle. Got into dire $ problems and had to sell her. I also understand the work and church thing.
My $.02 is to prioritize getting it road worthy, then see about the other things. I think if a buyer could drive it around the block, that might make more of an impression than just a rolling chassis.
Lay your head back, take a breath, and remember, God's got it under control, whether we do or not.
Take care,
Jeff
Thank, Jeff, well said! I am definitely going to get it back to driving condition (I have to be able to drive it around for at least a week with a grin on my face - or a strained face because of no power steering). I agree, God's always got it handled!

Some Past Projects:
Old 04-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #13
jesseo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Aura View Post
Good idea about the brake lines! Thanks! Also, thanks for the post. I do everything I can to help my family; that's why I'm working so long of hours and so far from home, just so they have it better than we did growing up.

Happy Wife, happy life... you said it!! Another one... When Mommy is upset, everybody cares... when Daddy's upset, who cares! LOL
That is so true. No one cares we are mad. We just go to the garage and beat on something with a hammer. Mom can bring the whole house to a complete stop. You will figure this out. Good luck and God Bless you and your new little one on the way.
jesseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
Slow Build

Quote:
I have spent an additional $1500 on parts and supplies. I still need to buy all the fluids, 2 front tires, 2 brake lines, and the wood for the bed.
What parts and supplies did you purchase for the truck?
What are you thinking about doing for the bed?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=568245

Quote:
I felt that by investing time and money, I could get a lot more for it.....could sell it faster than if I just replaced the motor and left everything the way it is.......I wish I would have just swapped the motor and sold it as is, but this will be the last classic I probably will ever get a chance to work on...
Unfortunately the money you may or may not get more back. The time you won't. The faster it's ready to sell the faster it will sell if you ask me. I know I like wrenching on my truck when I am able but I have no deadlines to deal with. When you’re working with a deadline and the fact that you have to sell it when your done sounds too much like work to me. If it were a truck that you planned to keep then that might change things.

Quote:
My wife is stressing out.....now spending the "baby" money......Oh, I only really have one true day a week to work on it.......I am pretty burnt out and stressed.....
Is it really worth all the stress? I know this isn't the type of answer you are looking for but I think you should just cut your losses and get it road worthy and sell it. If you only have one day a week to work on it just doing a few things on your list will take months. Depending on the parts and supplies you got for the project you might be able to sell them and recoup some of that money. I think you would feel less stressed with some bucks in your pocket and making your wife more comfortable so there is one less thing to worry about plus I'm sure the wife wouldn't mind you being available to do other things.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #15
Blue_Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Build View Post
What parts and supplies did you purchase for the truck?
What are you thinking about doing for the bed?

Is it really worth all the stress? I know this isn't the type of answer you are looking for but I think you should just cut your losses and get it road worthy and sell it. If you only have one day a week to work on it just doing a few things on your list will take months. Depending on the parts and supplies you got for the project you might be able to sell them and recoup some of that money. I think you would feel less stressed with some bucks in your pocket and making your wife more comfortable so there is one less thing to worry about plus I'm sure the wife wouldn't mind you being available to do other things.
All good points, and my wife would agree with you.

Originally, I was just going to paint the inside of the bed rails a satin black and install T1-11 for the floor. A product rep for an awesome waterproofing system (I work in Remedial Architecture with a specialty in waterproofing) said that he can get me all the supplies to do a complete liner system (except for the plywood, which I would have to buy). The liner is paintable for 48 hours, so I could spray it satin black still. Once installed and painted, it looks like a Line X liner or similar type liner. It would make the bed very usable.

Some Past Projects: