The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
Stroked10

Bad pcv?

Hey guys on my 82 c10 383 stroker. I found oil on the intake manifold valley below the carb, cleaned it up next day it got wet on the same spot, seems to be coming from the intake bolts. I also found the dipstick pushed out. I have an oil leak from the front of the engine maybe front seal or timing cover. Could all this be caused by a bad pcv not venting the pressure properly?

The setup I have is pcv on the drivers valve cover with a vaccum hose connected to a nipple on the bottom of the carb and a fill vent oil cap on the pass side valve cover. Thanks in advance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Stroked10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
nosfed2

Re: Bad pcv?

Could be, but the middle 4 intake bolts seeping oil up is pretty common we always use high temp silicone on the threads. Maybe replace the pcv valve and blow out the line. Remove that valve cover and see if it has a clogged valley and than check the breather on the other side? If i recall there was a discussion on this a while back and a way to test it. Good Luck
nosfed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
Stroked10

Thanks for the reply!. It is the middle two on the drivers side. I'm gonna rtv the threads. Do you know what type of pcv valve I might need? Stock 350 one?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2013, 03:12 AM   #4
andrewmp6

Take the pcv off and shake it in your hand if it makes a rattling sound it good no sound replace it.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:45 AM   #5
INSIDIOUS '86

Rarely does a pcv go bad. If your dipstick is blowing out then your ring seal is shot. Pcv is supposed to burn the vapors from the crankcase to prevent it venting into the atmosphere. Nothing else. Simply an EPA buttplug
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
wraprail

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
Rarely does a pcv go bad. If your dipstick is blowing out then your ring seal is shot. Pcv is supposed to burn the vapors from the crankcase to prevent it venting into the atmosphere. Nothing else. Simply an EPA buttplug
Posted via Mobile Device
PVC valves DO go bad, they get clogged up, gummed up and can stick open or closed.
That is why they have a replacement interval just like engine oil or spark plugs do. Check the maintenance schedule in your owners manual.

Should the OP start tearing the motor apart now? You seem positive the ring seal is shot. Only thing that could cause dipstick to blow out?

While I do agree with this
"Pcv is supposed to burn the vapors from the crankcase to prevent it venting into the atmosphere"

It's your next comment
"Nothing else"

Where you seem once again misinformed.
Actually the PVC Valve does a lot of other stuff.

The PVC works to extend oil life (as well as engine life) by removing Moisture (water) from the engine oil caused by condensation in the crankcase.

Examples of other benefits of a properly functioning PVC System would be lower fuel usage and lower emissions.
As to your last comment,
The term "buttplug" does seem fitting in this case..

That all folks..............
Old 04-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
Stroked10

Lol.. I changed it, so far no pushed out dipstick, drove it all day yesterday. I still got a leak from somewhere in the front, one of the disadvantages of having the sway bar sitting 3 inches from the floor is that I cant get down there and look .. Need a new jack, thanks for the help guys!!
Posted via Mobile Device