The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
SlammedBlazerLife

Edlebrock Carb Gas Leak!

On my 71' Blazer I started to get a gas leak on my Edlebrock Carb by where the throttle linkage is located. My blazer has sat for a while for the winter and when i tried to start the vehicle the engine would stall and not stay running like usual, I noticed a a running noise of fluids slightly in the Edlebrock carb and noticed the leak of gas going down to the intake manifold by the throttle creating a small gas puddle on the intake manifold. So I was wondering are the seals bad on my carb? Are the seals dry rotted ? Or can i just rebuild the carb to fix the leak? I've provided two pics where you can kind of notice the gas issue, Any opinions or help on this issue would make my day, Thanks Folks!
Attached Images

SlammedBlazerLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
POS1

Re: Edlebrock Carb Gas Leak!

You could put new gaskets in it and seal the leak (assuming its from the gasket). If the carb is good otherwise, then I'd say that's a good solution.
Posted via Mobile Device
1986 Jeep CJ7
1969 Porsche 911S Targa
POS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
SlammedBlazerLife

Are those gaskets available at auto part stores or just through edlebrock?
Old 04-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Rufton

I would look real close for a crack and look real close where fuel is coming out.
I don't remember anywhere where on lower carb body where shaft penetrates bowl.
Rufton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
RED 1970
Account Suspended

Ethanol will eat the seals in a carburetor, even the E10 in summer fuel blends. You need a rebuild kit with all the internal rubber and seals. It is a simple straight forward job that you can do yourself.

You should be able to find this kit at any autoparts store.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1477/overview/
RED 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
Rufton

From here it appears accelerator return spring is loaded to tight and cracked your carb body. Make sure you use a mild return spring and don't stretch it too much.

One of the edelbrock selling points is bowl contains fuel with no gaskets. The shafts don't talk to bowl.

Hopefully leak is spilling over from top and made an illusion photo.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
RED 1970
Account Suspended

Looking closer at carb after Rufton's comments you've also got a dry rotted vacuum cap on your full vacuum port.

I do beg to differ regarding the throttle return spring. A spring that is strong enough to crack the carb would be so stiff you'd never be able to push the throttle in the cab.

A dual spring setup is a good idea to add though, you want to have a safety net, what if that one spring broke? You'd have no spring and a potentially WOT.
RED 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
Rufton

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED 1970 View Post
Looking closer at carb after Rufton's comments you've also got a dry rotted vacuum cap on your full vacuum port.

I do beg to differ regarding the throttle return spring. A spring that is strong enough to crack the carb would be so stiff you'd never be able to push the throttle in the cab.

A dual spring setup is a good idea to add though, you want to have a safety net, what if that one spring broke? You'd have no spring and a potentially WOT.
Hope your right about crack.
Looks like a crack near accelerator pump and looks like much fuel has evap off top of carb and may have run down side.

What's w/ those darn vacuum caps anyway.
Can't seem to leave em a 5 years w/o rot.
The ones from auto parts store no better.
Maybe someone online has good caps?

Last edited by Rufton; 04-15-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #9
SlammedBlazerLife

Well the carb was a well used 1406 model, The problem i found out was the fuel was leaking through the pump plunger assembly/Pump arm. Reason the o-ring gasket was loose and moving up and down with the assembly when it was being pumped for fuel. So, to fix my problem and keep the fuel pressure/Fuel escape from happening I used some automotive adhesive to keep the o-ring gasket in place, I mounted the carb back and turned the key over and my blazer started up like a Cadillac smooth and beefy with FlowMasters purring, thanks for the opinions!