The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
creed1969

New to the forum!

Hi everyone, after a couple years of visiting the forum for ideas and information I've decided to become a member so I can share my progress and such. So a bit about myself and my chevy...
My name is Colin, and I'm from SK, Canada. I bought my '69 c-10 longbed for $200 when I was 15, drove it home, and it's been an ongoing project since. Progress stopped for a couple years while I attended college, but I'm graduated and working now, and finally can start to direct some money and time towards the chevy again. Unfortunately I live 3 hours from the family farm where the truck and the shop are, so work is planned during the week, and executed on the weekends.
The truck has the 250 I6 and three spd on the column, and had been relatively untampered with, except for the odd baler-wire fix (just adds character). The cab was rusted out in all the standard locations from years of salty roads, but at least the truck didn't have any filler hiding body issues.

This is partway thru the disassembly process obviously
[IMG][/IMG]

A local mechanic helped me rebuild the motor, unded up using a different block with less cylinder wear, thus not requiring boring. All new internals to stock specs. Didn't touch the transmission, just cleaned it up and painted it. Put a new clutch in though.
I took the truck down to the frame and sandblasted/painted it, along with the suspension components. Replaced most of the bolts. (Nice to have a fresh start).
[IMG][/IMG]

I bought the front end of a '72 chev and stole the disc brake/5 bolt setup off of it. A neighbor had a chev truckbox trailer with a 5-bolt rear in it, so I swapped my 6-bolt for it. Picked up some used 15X8 Eagle alloys and put them on.

Bought a 3/4 dropspring kit from CPP, along with the front/back swaybars. So far I'm not too happy with the drop on the front. It didn't come down enough...not sure if it'll settle with time but it looks wrong right now.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I started by blasting the cab, and bought pretty much every patch panel you can...and built my own patches where one wasn't available. Right in this time period I bought a MIG welder and got lots of practice welding patches in.

I worked in the local autobody shop one day a week during my highschool years, and full time for a year after, so I got lots of solid advice and practice while I was there.
[IMG][/IMG]

Well, to make a long story short, I butchered the cab. I didn't brace it before I cut out huge sections of the floor, and needless to say when it came time to test-fit a door, it was way out. Oh well, live and learn. Besides, I didn't like those marker lights on the roof anyways...

Thankfully, when I bought the truck I also got a spare cab as part of the deal. It was in even worse shape, but hey it was free, so my brother and I went and loaded it up and brought it home.
[IMG][/IMG]

I braced it up , and bought a complete floor with cab supports (should have done that in the first place).
[IMG][/IMG]

So I got the floor installed,
[IMG][/IMG]

Replaced bottom of the front pillars, lower kick panels, bottom of rear pillar, sills. Flipped the cab upright and recently got the cab corners in.
[IMG][/IMG]

Now that the cab's almost solid, I'm thinking about starting to assemble the truck and get it all working properly. If I can get it mechanically sound (finish the brakes, exhaust, set up the rearend, etc.) and get it on the road, that'll give me time to make sure the panels line up properly, and do stuff like relocate the fuel tank. Bottom line is, I can't afford to go the final mile and do bodywork and paint right now, plus I want to do that as the very last step.

Well, there's a very condensed overview of my project. It seems very unorganized...but I think that's common with a first project, as you keep changing your mind.

Let me know what you think, and I'm open to advise or criticism. All I know is that buying this truck was one of the best purchases I've made yet - I've learned so many things along the way already, and always look forward to chuggin around town when I get her up and running!

Cheers,
Colin
creed1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
Street Smart

Re: New to the forum!

Welcome to the board! You really jumping in the deep end of the pool, lol. Good luck with the project and keep the pics coming!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...=74049&cat=500
Street Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
Longhorn 70

Keep up the good work.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
jmorri34

Great job so far, and you live and learn fella keep it up and send pics!
jmorri34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
SCHRUMGMC

Welcome to the Board man !!!

Nice truck

Keep it up
Old 04-14-2013, 03:59 AM   #6
creed1969

Thanks guys. I'll make sure I update as I make progress. And yes I won't forget pics haha.
Posted via Mobile Device

Matt. 16:26
'08 Sierra Reg Cab, shortbox - daily driver
'69 C10 LWB, 250, 3OTT - summer driver
'98 STi Type-R (JDM) <SOLD>
'97 WRX STi (JDM) <SOLD>
creed1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #7
Square_78

Welcome!

Start a build thread in the Projects and builds section and document your progress there. Then we can follow your work.
Posted via Mobile Device

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Welcome! Good work. Its good to see a young person who is learning to use his hands.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote