The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
draggin49

3 on the tree....

What is the common thing that causes the 3 on the tree lever on the column to have issues?
Are they inexpensive to fix??

Previous owner mentioned at times the lever would be a bit tempermental.figure it may be common and somebody might have good suggestions on fixing it.
Posted via Mobile Device
draggin49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: 3 on the tree....

The linkage gets worn. You can get all the bushings and clips and such from Resto suppliers. I've bought all that stuff from Classic Parts several times over the years for various trucks I've been working on. It tightens them up and makes then pleasant to drive again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=215307

this will help you solve the problem your PO mentioned.Keep in mind that the 3 speed on the column is a good shifter for driving but will never be a good shifter for speed shifting.Also,clean and lube it regularly.I use a lil degreaser and the car wash wand to clean it,then a spray or 2 of lithium grease and a few runs thru the shift pattern.After cleaning,replacing bushings and adjusting mine,I have never had another hang up,though it will get stiff someties if dirty or in extremely cold weather.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
draggin49

Awesome , thanks guys. No speed shifting with this one.still has the original motor with 48, 000 original miles.I will be going very easy on it and just cruising it.im guessing that since this truck is still in the original paint/interior its likely the original parts in the shifter lever and has never been replaced.
I will get those parts and tackle that while im taking care of a few other miscellaneous items.

Do some guys ever stick a floor shifter to the original manual trans?? Or is it a fair amount of work?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
Rufton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
The linkage gets worn. You can get all the bushings and clips and such from Resto suppliers. I've bought all that stuff from Classic Parts several times over the years for various trucks I've been working on. It tightens them up and makes then pleasant to drive again.
Posted via Mobile Device
I concur.
The tree shifter was temperamental before I replaced bushings.
I used bronze bushings and clips made by mr gasket.
kinda fun driving the tree shifter.
Rufton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggin49 View Post
...Do some guys ever stick a floor shifter to the original manual trans?? Or is it a fair amount of work?
Yes it was common and many trucks bear the scars of such "improvements" the kits were cheap and really more for the "wow" factor at the time than anything else.
The column shifter works fine and a cleaning/rebush will help a lot.

Again as I have said before the best thing to do is get it cleaned up and running. Then decide after living with it if it needs gears or a trans swap. No point changing a shifter if you might want to change the trans to an O/D of some sort.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
draggin49

Yeah , I prefer to keep the column shift for originality on this one after I thought about it some more. But if it werent original then sure maybe go a different route. I just can tell by the feel that it needs a little care/work.

I am going your route Tim,making it run /drive before changes to tranny /gears.may be totally manageable as is.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
chuck69ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=215307

this will help you solve the problem your PO mentioned.Keep in mind that the 3 speed on the column is a good shifter for driving but will never be a good shifter for speed shifting.Also,clean and lube it regularly.I use a lil degreaser and the car wash wand to clean it,then a spray or 2 of lithium grease and a few runs thru the shift pattern.After cleaning,replacing bushings and adjusting mine,I have never had another hang up,though it will get stiff someties if dirty or in extremely cold weather.
I'll second the above. I recently bought the bushings for the column and the shift arm linkage, as well as new spring clips. Followed the instructions in the link above and have had no problems at all. Adjusting that sleeve with the slotted cam is the final step to tighten everything up. I couldn't get a drill bit in but found an unused cotter pin that was 3/16" and short enough to get in the alignment holes. Also, the sleeve has three bolts. One is hard to see and it took me a few minutes to figure out why the sleeve wouldn't turn.