The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
sir_talk_alot

Engine bay harness

Does anyone know of a cheaper engine bay harness than 119? Needing to rewire my bay and wanted to see if anyone knew of cheaper
Posted via Mobile Device

'94 GMT 400 ext z71 3" body, 3 in rough country, hd mirrors, 20" motometals on 35s
sir_talk_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: Engine bay harness

An engine harness is not a good place to cheap out. Reliability and safety come hand in hand with a quality product. If you can't afford a well known quality harness then I would look hard at what you have and the reasons for replacing it. If you must replace it a good used harness is still going to be better than a poor quality or cheap unknown replacement.
Might do better looking through the classified ads on the board or post a want to buy ad.
If I were replacing a harness I would want recommendations from others, actual users if at all possible. Maybe poll for whats best and what to avoid. Then base a purchase decision on that.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:58 AM   #3
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I have to comment on this one.Neglect is one of the things that will Get you killed leave you out on the road.Not to sound hard on you.But if you want to be Cheap Go buy a new truck and drive it.These work horses Deserve all the respect that there owners expect out of there trucks.I drove my 1965 for over 10 years with out high beam head lights No horn.Then one day my lights just went out on a cold wet rainy road.All i asked my truck to do was to get me home safe and i would replace the wiring harness in her.I hit a hard pot hole and the lights came back on.then 2 weeks later.I went down to WWW.Truckandcarshop.com in orange calif payed 650.00 for everything Fuse panel Engine harness Light harness heater harness radio harness Rear tail light harness intermediate harness Turn single harness and all the rubber garments.Took me 3 hours to put it in its a plug and play system.After that my gauges work better the lights are brighter my tail lights are brighter the engine starts up so much easyer.Not one problem with my harness other them my turn singles seem to where out more often.

Thrust me if you use your truck as much as i do and light knowing that it wont leave you on the side of the road or give people a chance to Laugh at your truck when it konks out in the middle of a single.Best off to Contact WWW.TRUCKANDCARSHOP.COM they use M&H harness they are right to the point of the factory harness just make sure you ask for the HEI or Points Most people Use the 1 wire HEI
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
sir_talk_alot

Ok i didnt make myself clear, not cheap as in quality, cheap as in price, around 80-90, this price was from brotherstrucks and ive noticed they have been a bit steep.
Posted via Mobile Device

'94 GMT 400 ext z71 3" body, 3 in rough country, hd mirrors, 20" motometals on 35s
Old 04-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #5
sir_talk_alot

And im much aware about cheap quality on wiring not being safe, i work on aircraft. All i wanted to know was there another truck company that maybe has a sale or prices alittle lower than brothers, maybe has free shipping on a certain purchase price. Didnt need to be scolded and schooled. And no i dont need to go buy a new truck, i thnk ive busted my butt off and deserve my truck. And the reason im not driving it is because ive been taking my time as to when i can afford good parts to fix the truck one problem at a time. All i wanted was to see if someone had a deal i was missing, not get told i dont respect my old truck. I can afford $119, i was just checking with others to see if someone found a better deal. Ss tim thank you for your advice. Ill look at making a poll
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by sir_talk_alot; 04-17-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
Sammy

Look around at posts in the electrical section for quality kits of what others have used. Also the review section may get some pointers there. From what I see the kits vary in price and whether or not you want to reuse your current connectors also.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Expect to spend around $100 bucks. I got mine from Wes at Classic Heartbeat. Don't remember what I paid for it, but was around $100. It was upgraded to have a wire for the HEI I am using. It is made by M&H Auto Wire. Direct plug and play with all the factory style connectors, clips, and mounting tabs. Even came with the new plastic wire gutter, and the factory correct wire wrap. Quality piece... you won't be disappointed.

I like it so much I went ahead and bought a front light harness too. Same deal as above and fit perfectly.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
sir_talk_alot

Thanks gasoline. Ill look into it
Posted via Mobile Device