The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
72tutone

Has anyone ever replaced these?

My apologies I cant seem to find the proper name for this. But as you can see there is a considerable gap in between and I was thinking of cutting the rivets out and bolting them back with some grade 8 hardware.
Has anyone ever done so? Is it ok to do this?
Attached Images

72tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
steelhorse

Re: Has anyone ever replaced these?

The are reinforcing plates to strengthen the frame.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
72tutone

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhorse View Post
The are reinforcing plates to strengthen the frame.
Thanks! Now I know what to call them. I'm assuming I can cut the rivets out clean up the underside get the rust out and grade 8 some hardware in there? At least that was my plan.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

That might be like that from the factory. I'd try to confirm that and leave it alone if it were me.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
72tutone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
That might be like that from the factory. I'd try to confirm that and leave it alone if it were me.

Gary
Gary, what might be there from the factory? The rivets or the plates? I'm just inquiring whether or not they can be removed, cleaned up, and bolted back together in the same locations just using grade 8 hardware
Old 04-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
72tutone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72tutone View Post
Gary, what might be there from the factory? The rivets or the plates? I'm just inquiring whether or not they can be removed, cleaned up, and bolted back together in the same locations just using grade 8 hardware
Are you referring the the gap? Looking at the truck from the rear this pic is on the right side of the frame. The gap on the left side plate is considerably smaller. That is why the question if they can be removed or not.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
Scott>72-GMC

I would assume since others have taken other supporting members out and re bolted with grade 8 bolts. That this shouldn't be an issue
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
72tutone

The rivets? Or these particular reinforcement plates?
Old 04-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
Scott>72-GMC

I've seen people completely dismantle their frame to sand blast ( thus removing rivets) then re assemble them ( using grade 8 bolts ) so I would assume if u want to remove these plates clean them and bolt them back in u could
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
SS Tim

While bolts replacing rivets are an approved repair. It is not intended that they be replaced at will. A bolt is not a direct replacement for a rivet. The holes need to be reamed to a very close fit. We are not talking the closest Harbor Freight drill bit size. Another issue is going to be bolt shank length you will need to fit the bolts so the shank is bearing the length of the holes. If its riding on the threads you are loosing strength. Review the factory service manual proceedures for the chevy version. We had a thread on this a while back if you want to search for it. But in the end I still have not found a shop level frame rivet replacement that looks and works as stock. Huck bolts are the closest to rivets for frame repairs but they are not stock appearing.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
Scott>72-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
While bolts replacing rivets are an approved repair. It is not intended that they be replaced at will. A bolt is not a direct replacement for a rivet. The holes need to be reamed to a very close fit. We are not talking the closest Harbor Freight drill bit size. Another issue is going to be bolt shank length you will need to fit the bolts so the shank is bearing the length of the holes. If its riding on the threads you are loosing strength. Review the factory service manual proceedures for the chevy version. We had a thread on this a while back if you want to search for it. But in the end I still have not found a shop level frame rivet replacement that looks and works as stock. Huck bolts are the closest to rivets for frame repairs but they are not stock appearing.
( like)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #12
elf w/capital T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott>72-GMC View Post
( like)
Posted via Mobile Device
HAhaha
elf w/capital T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

You can remove anything and "properly" bolt it back. But why,appearance? I'd move on to important things if it was my truck. Many trucks never find their way back together and worrying about things that don't matter and will never be seen,once back together,is a good way to see that happen. Don't take this personally,some go far and above what matters and still get them done and that could be you. And,often it's for other reasons that they don't get completed.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #14
jjzepplin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Do you have a pic of those "Huck Bolts"? It makes good sense what you say. Rivets fatten as they are compressed, While bolts will stretch and get ever so slightly thinner.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #15
midniteblues

if its rust build up between the two plates pushing them apart for sure knock the rivits out blast the peices an bolt'm back in.

if theres no rust between them squeeze them back together with a clamp an be done with them

for these two peices that the op is asking about i dont think there is the stresses put on them that a bolt of the right size of course couldnt handle
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote