The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
bigwalt

First 72 and I'm just gonna go all in.

First things first I've been lurking for a little while just researching while looking for the perfect truck, I love this site and the wealth of information available. My plan for now is to get this truck back into shape inside and out. I looked all over and found rust bucket aftee rust bucket that was way over priced, so much so that I almost went with an 78-87 but I stayed patient and finally come across this truck. It was originally listed on craigslist for $4000 but when I called the guy I was inquiring about another truck he had that was already sold. So I went to look at it and his son had blew the motor up earlier that day. So he told me I will sell it to you for $1500 cause you're gonna need the extra money to build another motor. So I had already been looking all over the truck and found that someone at some time had already fixed the rocker panels and cab corners and did a really good job doing it. I then noticed they just threw a crappy paint job on top of it. So I quickly forked out the money and he signed that clear blue title over to me and little did he know I had a built 355 waiting in my garage for this truck. My plans as off right now are to go ahead and replace the or repair the following:
Wiring harness with a cleaner simpler harness
Molded carpet
Seats all new window seals and rubber seals for doors
Front fenders.
Doors
A/C & heat. It was factory equipped but someone stripped it all completely
Power windows and locks
And new guages for everything

And paint scheme satin silver and black as of right now
Rims something simple and clean
More than likely a ford 9" and I would like to do a 4 link with coil overs in rear
And I'm sure the list will go on and on. I won't go into the underhood yet.

Posted via Mobile Device
bigwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
widewhite70

Re: First 72 and I'm just gonna go all in.

Looks like a good start!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697902
widewhite70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
bigwalt

Well I figured out why the motor slung a rod...... cause the rest of it is locked up. I thought it was funny there wasn't that much oil under the truck when it blew going down the highway but my guess is he dry sumped the motor not to mention there was only a gallon or so of water in the radiator. Hate pulling a motor with the torq converter still on it. But after rebuilding my carb tomorrow and swapping intakes I will be putting my built 355 in there this week and I'm looking forward to it too.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
bigwalt

I pulled the intake last night and the valve coverd just out of curiousity and wow when they blew the motor they really blew the motor. The cam broke and part of it was coming out of the back of the block some pushrods went all the way to the oil pan lifters were broke in half but on the plus side the heads were still ok and they're 487x heads and a good intake but the rest is scrap. They even had the flexplate on backwards lol
Posted via Mobile Device