The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2013, 01:49 AM   #1
profe56

Overhaul or re ring engine or used engine.

Hi folks good night from Chula Vista.
The 350 engine of my C10 69 is really bad, and I'm not sure if it needs complete overhaul or just a re ring or if is much better an used engine.
I' ve been looking on the sets are for sale it different stores but some of them when I want to know the brand it says stock or brand name. I did a list of the parts could be needed unless you correct me and give idea of the best choices.
CHEVROLET PICK UP C10 1969 ½ TON 350 ENGINE

1 ROD BEARINGS
2 MAIN BEARINGS
3 CAM BEARINGS
4 TIMING SET
5 PISTON RINGS
6 OIL PUMP
7 FROST PLUGS
8 GASKET SET
9 LIFTERS
10 PISTONS
11 CAMSHAT

Thanks one more time for your help.
profe56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
rsavage

Re: Overhaul or re ring engine or used engine.

You could get some prices on what the machine work on the block, crank, and heads will cost you to help you make your decision on whether to rebuild yours or buy a already rebuilt motor. The parts are only a portion of what it costs to rebuild. Your block has to be hot tanked, examined to make sure it is viable for rebuild, possibly bored, cam bearings installed, freeze plugs installed, crank checked and possibly turned, heads gone through and maybe guides and/or valves replaced, seats ground, etc. You could have close to $2000 in the rebuild taking it apart and putting it back together yourself depending on what machine work had to be done.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
You could get some prices on what the machine work on the block, crank, and heads will cost you to help you make your decision on whether to rebuild yours or buy a already rebuilt motor. The parts are only a portion of what it costs to rebuild. Your block has to be hot tanked, examined to make sure it is viable for rebuild, possibly bored, cam bearings installed, freeze plugs installed, crank checked and possibly turned, heads gone through and maybe guides and/or valves replaced, seats ground, etc. You could have close to $2000 in the rebuild taking it apart and putting it back together yourself depending on what machine work had to be done.
All of that is true, and also the reason a 1500 dollar brand new GM crate engine is worthy of considering.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
MARKDTN

I will third that. You can throw it together cheap, but if you have a worn engine it will need bored. If you have that many miles it will need valve guides. Then you get into the discussion of hardened seats. You can easily spend $600+ on heads alone. If you just ring it and bearing it you will still have oil leaking past rings and valve guides in no time and will be no better off than now. You really need to budget $2000 for a comprehensive engine overhaul that is good as new.

I would consider a basic GM crate engine or a used later Throttle-body motor. I really like the sealing on the later 1-pc seal engines better, it is worth finding one. As far as installation the only real difference is the flexplate.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
truckster

I agree, and you need to consider this: You can easily be into a rebuild for as much money as a crate motor, and you get a warranty with the crate motor.

I enjoy building engines, but with the price of crate motors, it's hard to justify spending as much money and not getting the warranty.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

A lot of classic vehicle owners try to keep them as stock as possible. If that's your goal, then have the engine professionally checked over as mentioned above. If it's not stock then a crate would be a good alternative. The cost of rebuilding an old engine and doing it right will be just as much. Plus,, the new engines are made for the unleaded gasoline of today.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
cdowns

lots of guys that i have seen on here decide to rebuild thier engines// in many cases they end up gettin less than 500 or so miles on them and they need an engine again
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
Lattimer

Crate engine and call it done. If it was a BB or something rare I would consider rebuilding it. 350's are very common.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #9
profe56

Thanks for all your ideas.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:53 AM   #10
JOJABOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
All of that is true, and also the reason a 1500 dollar brand new GM crate engine is worthy of considering.
Posted via Mobile Device
Where can you get a crate for $1500???
JOJABOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:12 AM   #11
profe56

Good Question
Old 04-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #12
JellyBeanDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
Crate engine and call it done. If it was a BB or something rare I would consider rebuilding it. 350's are very common.
Do crate engine BB's not exist? Or just a lot more $$?

Just wondering if down the road our 86' C30 454 needs a rebuild.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:52 AM   #13
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJABOY View Post
Where can you get a crate for $1500???

Call your local stealership, Jeggs and Summit. Last I checked the base Goodwrench was $1499.00. Im sure they are still made in Mexico and there are problems with them periodically. We have had to send 2 back in the past.
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:26 AM   #14
wesmigletz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
$1499 from Jegs with free shipping.
http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Perf...52506/10002/-1

It's hard to beat the price, reliability or the warranty.
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
www.picturetrail.com/wesmigletz
wesmigletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBeanDriver View Post
Do crate engine BB's not exist? Or just a lot more $$?

Just wondering if down the road our 86' C30 454 needs a rebuild.
They exist, and are not a lot more than the high power small blocks. You can buy a crate 427, 454, 502, 572, etc. http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Perf...52313/10002/-1

My point was, it would suck to have a big block truck with a 396 or whatever, and swap in a 350 because the 350 crate is cheaper than rebuilding the BB.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #16
54belair

Let me talk about one idea that no one has covered yet.

Find a good low mileage recent rebuilt engine--its cheaper.

DONT, DONT, DONT, do that!!!!!

It is natural to try and find ways to save money wherever possible----even though I know "a deal" is rarely a deal----I still catch myself looking.

Case in point: recently, instead of sticking to my original plan of buying a new engine for my project--I fell into the pit of looking for "a deal" on an engine.
I came across a friend who had "a deal" for me! His son had just totaled a truck which had a recently rebuilt engine in it--low miles! I even knew most of this to be true.
So, I got cheap and decided that the recent rebuild wold do me fine. Now, my "deal" is at the machine shop---everything but the crank and pistons will have to be replaced!
I got lucky and found the error of my ways before installing the engine--I decided to change cams and found some heavily worn alum. roller rockers, a couple ruined push rods and cam bearings that looked terrible. Lots of powdered alum. in the bngs.(from the rockers).
On that "deal" everyone won--but me. The machine shop won, My now x friend won and I was once again reminded to Not look for a deal.

You wont get all the parts you want in a $1500 crate motor------but it will have the warranty--and it should run out of the box!!! Good luck,,
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #17
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54belair View Post
Let me talk about one idea that no one has covered yet.

Find a good low mileage recent rebuilt engine--its cheaper.

DONT, DONT, DONT, do that!!!!!

It is natural to try and find ways to save money wherever possible----even though I know "a deal" is rarely a deal----I still catch myself looking.

Case in point: recently, instead of sticking to my original plan of buying a new engine for my project--I fell into the pit of looking for "a deal" on an engine.
I came across a friend who had "a deal" for me! His son had just totaled a truck which had a recently rebuilt engine in it--low miles! I even knew most of this to be true.
So, I got cheap and decided that the recent rebuild wold do me fine. Now, my "deal" is at the machine shop---everything but the crank and pistons will have to be replaced!
I got lucky and found the error of my ways before installing the engine--I decided to change cams and found some heavily worn alum. roller rockers, a couple ruined push rods and cam bearings that looked terrible. Lots of powdered alum. in the bngs.(from the rockers).
On that "deal" everyone won--but me. The machine shop won, My now x friend won and I was once again reminded to Not look for a deal.

You wont get all the parts you want in a $1500 crate motor------but it will have the warranty--and it should run out of the box!!! Good luck,,

I agree a little, but here is my take:
1-to rebuild yours, figure at least $1500. You can buy the kits from Northern Auto Parts for $200. They are good kits and they will sell you upgrades like better gaskets or different cam. http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...?ProductId=148
I have bought several kits from them. Then figure at least $1000 in machine work with almost half that in heads alone.

2-Buy a crate for $1500. Have a warranty.

3-Buy a used motor for $500 or less. The throttle body 350 in 88-95 vehicles will go 200,000 miles easily. If you can find one with 100,000 or so you will have a long time more. Buy van engines and get rid of all the funky dipstick and accessories. They are cheaper and are the same under all the dressing. Factory Q-jet intakes for center-bolt heads are cheap or aftermarket or slot the holes.

4-Go fuel injected like Vortec or the above throttle body, take the opportunity to get overdrive trans and install as a package. You can buy low mileage vans for under $2000 if you look around and put the FI engine and trans in, sell off a few parts like doors and bumpers, and scrap the rest and have under $1000 in the swap. For the 700R4 trans ones you can probably use the factory harness for the engine. For the 4L60E transmission ones you should buy aftermarket harness, it will save a lot of time and effort. Or go all out LS conversion.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #18
profe56

Finally I dedided to install an used engine cause, there is a lot of money for machine shop.
I'll let you know which will be the new engine.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #19
razo88

I agree with pretty much everyone here...if your gonna rebuild an engine do it right and 9 times out of ten the crates gonna be the best bang for the buck...but if your on a crazy budget, tear the engine apart get your specs and see where the engine is.

I have the same truck, I purchased it about a year ago and while replacing the valve cover gaskets came across a push-rod sticking through the #4 intake valve rocker...so took the damn thing out got my specs and the cylinders were in great shape, just over a .001" wear, and the heads weren't in great shape but they were ok...kinda figured if anything ill put some aluminum heads on later when i have some more cash...the whole build cost me about 1000$...shes got about 5k on her now and still running strong...so if you got time and the tools you could make it worth your while...
razo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:13 AM   #20
profe56

Well I just got a 305, but I'm I'm going to start to rebuild a 350 for the future .
Old 05-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #21
airdale94

Those early 350s are worth rebuilding especially if it's high nickel 4 bolt main block. They have 010 cast under the timing cover. The later 350s are plentiful and unless you just need freshening up a crate engine would probably be the way to go.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #22
rusty68

man am i glad i have a friend that owns a machine shop i get away with 12pack and some $ for the parts if it has to be ordered only down side is im at the bottom of the list so it may take a few weeks to get it all done
rusty68 is offline   Reply With Quote