The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
azdude1964

what to do about my neighbor

drove home last thrusday night. 900pm local time from a car show. He confronts me in a non friendly way saying i been racing up and down the street everynight.
totaly no true. then proceed to threaten my truck as in if i drive by his house i will regret it. so anyone had this problem?thanks for your input .
Old 04-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
Budman56

Re: what to do about my neighbor

First off you will need to find out what the noise limits are for your town usauly in city limits it 85 db, then check your truck out and see if it exceeds the noise level. then find out what the city no noise time is usualy its 10pm but some citys are different. not all nieghbors are created equal, one person will tell you that anything over 5 mph is speeding others wont care, It sounds like your neighbor is of the opion that anything over 5 mph is racing, so theres not a lot you can do about this except to maybe take another route home at night to try to avoid his home, if thats not possible theres not a lot you can do until he does some thing to you or your truck. may be a heart felt sorry with a case of beer might fix things, but it hard to say. Good luck with your neighbor.

......................_____
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/
Budman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
jocko

Well, like many things, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So, if he thinks you're speeding, so will the po-po, when he eventually calls them.

My advice: be polite, suck it up, and don't speed past his house. Even if you weren't. If you REALLY weren't, then slow down anyway.

You want to be the "friendly truck guy" in your neighborhood, not the a-hole that scares the cats and old people.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
slepysal

Back in the day I would have just beat him down, now that I am older and wiser, I would wait till the day is nice walk over and offer him a beer or a soda.
Explain that you understand his frustration, but that it is not you who is racing up and down the street. give him the old " We are nighbors and should get along. There is no need to take it out on my truck."
If that dosn't work there is always the cops... or a beat down ( ok maybe not that)

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Rich 5150 69

Carry a video cam with you, but stay within the law, let him be the idiot, then you have proof for the court or the po-po...
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
Budman56

Quote:
Originally Posted by slepysal View Post
Back in the day I would have just beat him down, now that I am older and wiser, I would wait till the day is nice walk over and offer him a beer or a soda.
Explain that you understand his frustration, but that it is not you who is racing up and down the street. give him the old " We are nighbors and should get along. There is no need to take it out on my truck."
If that dosn't work there is always the cops... or a beat down ( ok maybe not that)
lol slepysay we think the same.....

......................_____
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/
Budman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
1963c-10

Im lucky as I live on the city limits but am in the county. I dont have any curfews or noise violations that I have to worry about. I try and be friendly with everyone, but personally...I'd tell the guy that he can go pound sand. The police cannot write you a ticket after the fact even if you were speeding. They have to see you do it. Sounds to me like he just has a gripe and want to pick it with you out of convience. I agree with checking local laws on the noise, but if you had a loud Harley would you get the same irritation from him? My neighbors are cool and stop by when i'm out with the truck, but either way...I own my 2 acres, its private property and what I do on it is my business. As for threatening you and your property....you have to decide how legit the threat is as to contacting the police or handleing it yourself. Sounds to me like hes just barking, but you never know.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
jsdoyle

Your neighbor is obviously irritated by your truck. Likely because it's loud. Hot Rods in general sound like they are speeding when in park.

There is probably something else going on at home that is causing him to take things out on you.

Some people you just can't reason with but I'd try killing him with kindness first. If that doesn't work then be ready for a visit from your local PD.

Keep a camera with you and if he gets out of line start the video rolling. He will then be the one on the bad side of the law.

A cold beer and a ride in the truck might break the ice too. Preferably not at the same time though.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
CC69Rat

I have one of these type people in my neighborhood too. He is in real estate and built two of the 14 or so houses in my neighborhood. His hous sits at the end of the cul-de-sac, up on the hill and he thinks he's the king of his little domain. This guy was a professional Taekwondo instructor in his early twenties and apparently got injured in competition. He's in a wheelchair now (motorized) paralyzed from the waist down, and his left arm is a bit messed up.

I have never spoken a word to him. Never. But, when I cut grass, he comes out to watch and make sure I don't get over the property line. Every time I leave, or come home .. he's watching out the window with his binoculars. My wife is Taiwanese and he called the cops on the 'Mexican' girl outside steeling cable from the cable box.. When she was on the phone with Charter troubleshooting the TV connection.

My point is, it seems every neighborhood has one of these guys.. I'm just the type of person who kills them with kindness. When I come home from work, I wave to him just to let him know I see him looking out the window. When he watches me cut grass, I want to ask him if he'd like for me to cut his too. .. but I just wave

It's just a big time Inferiority complex. Some people are just that way man, nothing better to do than to nose into your business. Unless he has video of you, it's basically his word against yours. You can pi55 him off MORE by just being nice to him plus it won't give him a reason to have anything to hold against you. Just idle by his house, wave when you see him outside, etc. He'll be like .. WTH ?

It's a small smoldering ember, if you pour gas on it it gets worse. Pour water on it, .. it goes away. Your call. Good luck man.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
jimmydean

Flaming bag of poop on his doorstep.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
chevyrestoguy

I had a neighbor (about 10 houses down) that came strolling down to my house one Saturday afternoon and stood in the middle of the street and challenged me to walk out and start a fight. I was 25 years old at the time, 225 and lean, and I would have ground him into the pavement. He was yelling about how I was speeding down the street in my '70 Camaro. He was partially right, I did exceed the posted speed pretty often, BUT...the guy was a hard-core drunk and was completely wasted when he challenged me. He said some stuff to me (threats) that could have got him put into the hospital, but I decided to diffuse the situation instead. I told him that I would slow down in the neighborhood, and I did from that day on. Never had a problem with him again.

I would always wave at him when I went by, and as soon as I pulled out of the neighborhood onto the main highway, I would let it rip. That Camaro had a nasty 454 and you could hear it for miles. I know he heard it, but I kept my promise and stayed well under the speed limit when I went past his house.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #12
azdude1964

thanks guys I'm a non violent guy and will be neighborly slow roll and wave. will have my i phone if he does something.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #13
1963c-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
Flaming bag of poop on his doorstep.
x2....haha
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #14
hunter_k

Hi, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. My advice would be, if your truck is loud and you are speeding then suck it up, apologize and don't do it anymore. If you are right and you're not speeding or making excessive noise don't cow down to this guy. Go about your business as usual. If he comes on your property and does ANYTHING to your truck, hit him so hard when he wakes up his clothes will be out of style! I promise you he won't bother you again! Some people mistake kindness for weakness and if he thinks he's got you scared, he won't stop. 66 Chevy C10 SB.
hunter_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
Malibob

I have these a$$hole neighbors all around me. One is a drop out musician who inherited his parents place, the other is a flight attendant who is only at her house half the time and the one is on SS disability but miraculously is still able to mow his lawn with a push mower. I cant begin to tell you the stories about harassment to my wife and notes and comments. The next one I get from anyone of them, I plan on telling them that if I keep having problems, I am renting out the house as a low income house and interviewing tenants to pick the lowest class ones I can find.

I told the wife last night that when we did our landscaping, we should have planted yews (type of bush) and trimmed them to look like a middle finger sticking up facing all of them. When people asked what it was we could explain that it is a fock yew! We laughed our asses off. That's all you can do.

Flickr
Malibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #16
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman56 View Post
lol slepysay we think the same.....
Me too!

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #17
GMtrucknut!!

I used to have the same type problems and after trying to apologize for my mistakes, changing the exhaust on my truck ,and not working in the shop later than 8:00 pm I finally blew my stack told the a$$**** off . That ended the trouble ,I lived in that neighborhood another 6 years until I could afford to build outside the city limits. I now can stand in the yard look both ways and don't see the neighbors homes !
GMtrucknut!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #18
Bazooka
Keepin it old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by slepysal View Post
Back in the day I would have just beat him down, now that I am older and wiser
Even today at the ripe old age of 30 I still struggle with this.

Like the others have said though its best to make a new friend rather then a new enemy.

You can always just piss on his mailbox when hes not looking
Bazooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #19
Rufton

I've noticed bullies tend to get their way.
I doubt if he'll make good on his threat.
If he does, odds are you won't catch him on camera.
May be hard to convince jury your truck wasn't loud and proud unless neighbor has other motive or simply mistook vehicle.
Rufton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #20
LT1 Burb

Ask him if he's a cop and if he says no tell him to piss off.
Posted via Mobile Device
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #21
Turkey

boil 'em down with straight pipes every day until he moves....hehehe
Old 04-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #22
joedoh

my neighbor has an exhaust on his v8 truck and it wakes me up at 630 am every single saturday when he leaves for work (other days I am up by then). I dont mind because is an awesome friendly guy AND.. and here is the big AND... he knows his truck is loud and that its early. he idles out of his driveway and idles down the street every single time he leaves the house every single day whether its 630 am or 2 in the afternoon. Not once have I heard him rap it up because it would probably sound amazing, he is respectful of everyone else on the block every time he leaves the house.

Are you?

its easy to throw rocks at the guy who is "fanatical" or a "nazi", but some people think that when they bought the house they paid for the neighborhood. If you rapped it up once, apologize. if you tore ass around the corner once, apologize. try to see his point of view because I tell you, if you have done it even once he did you a huge favor by announcing his intention. I know a hundred guys who would have settled it under cover of darkness instead.

If you havent done anything wrong, shrug. there are all kinds of people in the world and he is just one of them.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:10 AM   #23
donthekawguy

Get a camera system in case he does come over in the middle of the night. Install the cameras where he can't see them. If your in the right your in the right. Ignore hi, if he approaches you. I had a lady next door that would have her dog poo in my front yard when I went to work. I put a motion sensitive game camera in the tree in my front yard at 3 am. I got her the next day walking her dog to my yard to take a dump.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:43 AM   #24
glos55

WELL......some things never change! Years ago when I was 16 the first two things I did to my car was cut the exhaust off and jack up the rear. Those two things pi$$ed my neighbor off LOL Some people just do not like Hot Rods! You have some good advice posted here and some not so good (poop in bag) Hahaha I like chevyrestoguy's story!! Budman56 has some good advice! I think you'll do good with the kindness route and I'm sure he's expecting different! Keep us posted
Old 04-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #25
C-10cutty

Sorry for your plight. I'd operate within the limits of the law and tell him to f-off if he says anything again.

Quote:
threaten my truck as in if i drive by his house i will regret it
Don't be afraid to get the police involved, I wouldn't stand for this.
C-10cutty is offline   Reply With Quote