The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
Lostokieintx

SWB owners!! Driveline question??

I recently got a 72 SWB. Has 350-350 turbo. Not sure if the transmission is a long or short tail? There is no driveline!! Need to know if it would have come with a 1-piece or 2-piece driveline? It has a bracket for a carrier bearing. I know some of the 6 cyl. short beds had 1-piece driveline, but not sure about this one? Any help in locating one or if a newer short bed truck uses the same driveline, would be appreciated!!! Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Lostokieintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
70blackfish

Re: SWB owners!! Driveline question??

GO with a one piece......
Old 05-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #3
buckskins4ever

I would say it had a two piece in it originally being it had a carrier. You will want to go with a one piece since you are buying anyways.
buckskins4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:45 AM   #4
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Ive replaced 3 so far in SWB trucks Ive owned (2 BB and 1 SB) and everyone says go to a one piece. I measured the distance between the rear tailseal on the tranny and the center of the rear U-joint. Then, Take a good sized driveshaft to Powerdrive (or your local place) and they replaced the u-joints, welded on a new flange and balanced it by the next day at lunch. Its not the cheapest thing youll every do for your truck, cost $165 to cut it to length, 2 u-joints and a balance.

I also have done a 2 piece in my BB truck. Cost a little more because of the Carrier bearing, u-joints, balancing and cutting to length.

Note:
Remember to get it balanced! I have a friend that circle track races and he sees alot of cracked housing at the track from people that dont balance their shafts. (I guess it cracks the housing in front of the cooling line fittings) Just what Ive heard.
Hope I helped!
Mike
Cash3481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:29 AM   #5
JointTech

why a single driveline? oh and mine cost about $350 in socal to have the end yoke replaced, ujoints, and balance.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:38 AM   #6
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JointTech View Post
why a single driveline? oh and mine cost about $350 in socal to have the end yoke replaced, ujoints, and balance.
Going from what Ive been told...
Anything under about 65 inches IIRC can be a 1 piece D/S. After that, the flex and harmonics are bad for driveability. Again, Thats whatIve been told!
I have driven both vehicles Sb and BB, (and neither is a high horsepower machine) but the driveability is seemingly the same to me. I havent driven them long enough to measure how long the carrier bearing will last so I cant comment on that aspect.
I will say that any time your adding components to a process there is additional liability to failure, in this case the carrier bearing. I will be using 1 piece from now on, strictly for monitary savings.
Im sure other WAY smarter members will chime in.
Mike
Cash3481 is offline   Reply With Quote