The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2003, 04:18 PM   #1
Tom
driving is in my blood

Opinions needed, change the ignition timing?

On my 79, Ive been trying to get the most gas milage possable. I found that happend with ported vaccum, and 10* initial with the vaccum pluged off. I can manage 18-20mpg on the freeway if Im carefull and traffic allows. This is with the 3.07 rear I just found out I really have instead of the 3.42's I thought it had. I also really need 89octane with the summers heat even though this vortec motor is a 87octane motor. Now I know vortecs use less timing then normal heads because of the combustion chamber, and the stock vaccum advance can gives WAY too much advance, so I was thinking of messing with the timing using a crane vaccum can. Im hoping I can get it back to 87octane and maybe even more milage, but I REALLY dont want to kill the milage Im getting now. So what do you guys think, should I try the crane can and manifold vaccum, or just live with 89octane?
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 06:39 PM   #2
sbc350gearhead

You want to run the vacuum off a ported source. If you run it off full manifold vacuum, it can cause an off idle miss, due to too much constant vacuum. If you are wanting to decrease the advance of the vacuum can, then just use an adj. can or use a gm 10 degree can (stock is 18 if I remember right).
sbc350gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 06:50 PM   #3
navybear70
hometown heroes!

I'm looking for good gas mileage too and I'm having a vacuum advance and timing problem. Could anyone post a pic of their set-up and/or give me some help here? I posted the problem on the Engine board.

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. -Robert E. Lee

"Never give up ground you've already taken." -Unknown
navybear70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 07:03 PM   #4
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally posted by sbc350gearhead
You want to run the vacuum off a ported source. If you run it off full manifold vacuum, it can cause an off idle miss, due to too much constant vacuum. If you are wanting to decrease the advance of the vacuum can, then just use an adj. can or use a gm 10 degree can (stock is 18 if I remember right).
Actually according to aftermarket ignition makers you need full manifold. The reason GM [and me right now] used ported vaccum was two fold: better idle emissions and because the stock can gives about 24* advance which is much too much at idle so they said use ported so you dont get all that advance Thanks though.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:13 PM   #5
sbc350gearhead

Each person's timing curve is adjusted to what they are looking for. It sounds to me as if you already answered your own question. I run 18 degrees initial advance on my Z, with an additional 20 in the distributor for 38 degrees total, all in by 3000 rpm. With that curve, I wouldn't think of using full manifold vacuum for my vacuum advance. But then again, I don't use that curve for fuel economy.....LOL
Old 06-23-2003, 07:21 PM   #6
Tom
driving is in my blood

I know what the ignition is supposed to be at, but Im affraid of loosing the great gas milage I have now. I know I can put it to a 10* can, have 34* mechanical [what vortec like] and run full manifold vaccum with 8* initial [with the vaccum advance un-pluged] and run 87octane all day long, but I dont want to loose the 15-20MPG freeway Im getting right now. What do you think, should I try it?
Old 06-23-2003, 09:29 PM   #7
sbc350gearhead

As I said.....it seems like you answered your own question. It is highly unlikely to find someone with the exact same engine combo, running the same curve in the same climate as you, who has attempted to do what you are contemplating doing. Try it and find out. At worst, it won't work and you will be out 25 bucks for an adj. can. At best, you will either improve fuel economy, or be able to run cheaper gas. Even if it doesn't work for you, you may find a use for the adj. can at a later date.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:35 PM   #8
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I don't know why everyone thinks GM always ran the vacuum advance on a ported source. It just ain't true.

Even when my truck had the 305, it was hooked to full manifold vacuum, throught the TVS. Full manifold vacuum is the preferred place to hook it too. Never heard of any off idle miss because of it. Only reason you would ever want to run ported vacuum advance is because the distributor refuses to work with manifold vacuum. This is because it's not set up right in the first place.

A properly setup distributor will work wonders with mileage and power. Don't just limit vacuum advance, do the whole nine yards.

Check this article for some good advice.
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 09:45 PM   #9
navybear70
hometown heroes!

Once again you have provided a wonderful source of info. Tanx again.
BTW... is your name a reference to Ernie Irvan?

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. -Robert E. Lee

"Never give up ground you've already taken." -Unknown
navybear70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 10:09 PM   #10
sbc350gearhead

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/77958/index2.html
http://www.2quicknovas.com/happytiming.html
http://www.bzerob.com/bobsgarage/tec...ei_install.htm
http://www.l81vetteregistry.com/tech/hei.html

As the car craft link states......the ported vs. full manifold debate is never ending. Much like the ford vs. chevy debate. The other links are opposing expert views.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:14 PM   #11
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Quote:
Originally posted by navybear70
BTW... is your name a reference to Ernie Irvan?
Yep, sure is. Several years ago, I helped a guy with his dirt track race car. He always called me swervin ervin, because of Ernie. Well it stuck and before long every one was calling me that. So when I started hanging out on message boards, it was the name I used.

Oh, I forgot to mention, my last name is Ervin.
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote