The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
1slo_camaro

Rears for my 2wd 78

Welp ive been in the Jeep and Camaro game for quite a while and welp the axles are the first thing i try and beef up to handle either more power or taller tires...... now with my truck i really want posi and some 3.73s...... and the dreaded drum brakes. but from what ive been looking at and reading im kinda stuck with them until i want to re-do the entire brake system.

What axle can i swap in for a stock posi unit? or anything? or do most budget builds keep the stock axle and build it? will any other vehicles swap in? will a 4wd axle work?

2wd 73-87 trucks are kinda scarce in my area in the junkyards and when they go in theyre ripped apart pretty quick. so i am trying to figure out how i can get an axle and clean it up real nice and get all the work done prior to install...... can yall help me?
1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
wraprail

Re: Rears for my 2wd 78

You pretty much got it already.
73-87 2wd 10 series pickups and (73-91) suburbans.
I have seen 87ish 2wd suburbans at the pic-a-part with 3.73/posi rear ends.
Check the parts tag thing inside the glove box.
If it came factory it will be listed there
Old 05-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
1slo_camaro

Do you happen to know what the code is? im being lazy because i just woke up and im sure i could find the code somewhere floating around online. But like i said im being lazy haha
Old 05-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
UATahoe

g80 for the factory posi
UATahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
1slo_camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UATahoe View Post
g80 for the factory posi

THank you for supporting my laziness, now i cant wait to hit up the yards and find myself one! a local yard hopefully he has it, if i pull it he lets me take them for 75 bucks so if i could grab a 3.73 posi for 75 bucks thatll be awesome.

Sorry for spinning the thread into something else, but with the springs and all, idk if my springs are sagging or if its my shocks gone but my truck tilts to one side. im trying to go lower..... should i keep the spring packs with it? or just chop the axle out and worry about the springs on the install and buy new?
Old 05-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

The option code for the traction device is G80, but it is not a Posi-traction in the traditional sense. It is known by the name "Gov-loc" and it is not a desirable thing. They are marginal at best, and only really useful to people who don't really need one anyway.
You would be far better off with an aftermarket clutch-type unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
1slo_camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
The option code for the traction device is G80, but it is not a Posi-traction in the traditional sense. It is known by the name "Gov-loc" and it is not a desirable thing. They are marginal at best, and only really useful to people who don't really need one anyway.
You would be far better off with an aftermarket clutch-type unit.

Thank-you, can you please elaborate this a little. what is so undesirable about the *Gov-loc* what exactly is it? this is more of a want then a need right now. im on a stock 350. at most will get an intake and baby cam and bolt ons until i build/decide what motor route i plan to go. for just more wanting it for a little more traction in storms or small snow or anything like that. would it be worth it? or would i be wasting my time? i want to get an axle pulled and on jack stands so i can clean it up and rebuild it to what i want/need at the time and install.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
79Betty

U have the "bachelor lean" all the weight like driver gas tank and things on that side takes it's toll on the suspension and that causes the sag. I've heard ppl swap sides and it helps or it's a new suspension.
Posted via Mobile Device
1985 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe C10
79Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
1slo_camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79Betty View Post
U have the "bachelor lean" all the weight like driver gas tank and things on that side takes it's toll on the suspension and that causes the sag. I've heard ppl swap sides and it helps or it's a new suspension.
Posted via Mobile Device

haha yea i think it does lean that way, so the consensus is, it is the springs sagging? i really hate replacing something with stock when i know i am going a different route in the future. but im not sure what i want to do. im not going to clutter up this thread, i will start another thread about suspension but i want to throw on some 17s and tuck them in the fender a little i dont want it slammed on the ground just a 4/6 would be nice maybe a 5/7 becuase of running a little larger rim/tire combo but i dont want to put this on the ground so im not sure if i should wait or find some springs on ebay or craigslist or something or find a set on here. But if you are saying people swap the sides and it levels out its worth a try, idk how but its worth a try lol

1998 Jeep ZJ 4.5 lift 32s full bolt ons awaiting axles

"Life is full of decisions, we make them and dont look back"
Old 05-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

First of all, any kind of traction device may actually make your ice or rain driving worse. I know that sounds backward, but....as soon as you lose grip and spin the tires, that is exactly what you get, "both" tires spinning. When that happens, nothing is keeping you from sliding sideways. With a single wheel spinning, the other is just rolling, like the fronts. This makes the rear much more stable. While you may not be moving forward, you are also not sliding sideways or spinning out of control.
That is not to say that the traction device can't help, but it does take some knowledge of the limitations and experience/practice with it. As long as you don't spin the tires it may help, but as soon as they break free....it will be worse.

The Gov-loc is sort of an attempt to eliminate this exact issue. It is a "speed governed" clutch type unit. The idea is that it functions like an open differential most of the time, then the governor mechanism applies pressure to the clutches as one tire spins faster than the other. It sounds great, but it is just not strong enough for most situations.
Like I said, a guy who doesn't really need one may be fine with it, put a decent load to it....
Pretty much any kind of horsepower increase, tire size increase, or aggressive driving can kill it.
I have seen one explode on a boat ramp requiring a tow for the truck and boat to get them out of the water. Totally stock truck, spinning a little in the algea then catching the concrete, boom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
1slo_camaro

oooooo so its Limited-Slip Diff...... maybe i just didnt know the technical term for it, but ive always known LSDs as it spins one wheel then when that wheel looses tract. it engages the LSD for the other wheel right?

Old 05-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
dieseldawg142

in low traction driving, i click the e-brake on a notch to create some drag & fool the limited in my stepper into thinking it's a poor man's locker. did you check your body mounts? if there fagged out, they will create some lean in your truck
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #13
1slo_camaro

oooo im sure this thing has all kinds of issues lol, the people i got it from did not take care of it, so im just starting at one end of the truck and working the other way, i figure for right now itll be easier to start out back, pull the bed off wire brush everything smooth it out, prime/paint it, replace the rear with a freshened rear figure out what im doing with suspension. Probably just a flip kit in the back with some good shocks. While the bed is off ill go over that real good, sand/wirebrush. take the bottom down to metal and rubber coat it and so on.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #14
1slo_camaro

Hey guys... Bringing this back up. I want to really do things right so i want to figure out what the best option for me to do..... can i grab a 12 bolt and drop it in? If so what things will i deal with diving into that? If i can find one quick for a good price id like to keep 5x5 bolt pattern simply because i just bought a set of wheels that i REALLY want for the truck and dont want to switch to 4.75 or is there a different route I should go? i want this to be able to hold up to a weekend beating and some track launches on a DR in the long run. and please keep the Dana 60 and Ford 9 out simply because of cost. recommendations gentlemen?

Old 08-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #15
Rich84

Scour the junkyard..Many of the Suburbans that had the govlocs have been replaced with better units..Nothing wrong with a 10 bolt for what you want to do. You can upgrade it to 30 spline which are in the 4x4's...Just get the axles off of an 88 and up . They are about 7/16" longer, but they work fine with different drums.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote