The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
BrokeTillDone

My Low and Slow Build

New to this old truck world. Just purchased a 1961 truck. A couple of weeks ago my moms friend offered her the truck because he no longer had any interest in building the truck nor did he have space or time. My mom gave me a call and pretty much talked me into buying the truck sight unseen. I figured $400 for a truck that still started and drove was not a bad deal. I picked up the truck that evening and to my surprise it did not look all that bad. I drove the truck home which was only about 6 blocks away. It almost made it with out any issues until one of the rear tires decided to give out 2 blocks away. So here it sits awaiting its transformation. I have started to tear it down. Hope you guys enjoy this build as much as i think I will. Time for some pictures.

The bed is a little rough. Thinking it may be cheaper to find a nice bed instead of trying to fix this one.

Here is the interior. The Previous Owner put this seat in. Don't know what it came from but I like it.

This is what was swapped in. Pretty Crappy work!!! Had clothes hanger holding wires up. A bunch of wires that were spliced and taped together. A lot of missing bolts and I found extra bolts and screws through out the engine that were just laying there.

They thought they would save weight by only using 2 bolts to hold the motor down.

BrokeTillDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
BrokeTillDone

Re: My Low and Slow Build

Got the front disassembled and power washed. Couldn't get all the grease and dirt off but it is definitely an improvement and a lot cleaner.
First parts off.

Working in 97 degree weather is not cool. I envy you guys with garages that are big enough to store and work on your trucks. Had to rig this temporary shade.

Front of the chassis need a little work... Looks like the truck took a hit at one point.

After some power washing it looks a lot cleaner.

Thats it for now.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
1963c-10

Great looking project. That big block will get the job done for you. Nice progress so far.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
Bomp

Welcome aboard.

That is a steal for $400. Wish my mom would call me about trucks, cars or anything with a motor.

Watchin'
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
Low Elco

Daaang, 400? Awesome! As bad as the bed is, whack that sucker! Go 1/2 ton SB, with that big block! Too cool!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:00 AM   #6
BrokeTillDone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
Great looking project. That big block will get the job done for you. Nice progress so far.
Thanks! Hopefully it turns out as good as I imagine it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Welcome aboard.

That is a steal for $400. Wish my mom would call me about trucks, cars or anything with a motor.

Watchin'
I was surprised my Mom would actually encourage me to build this thing. She usually complains about money spent on car mods. Thanks for watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Daaang, 400? Awesome! As bad as the bed is, whack that sucker! Go 1/2 ton SB, with that big block! Too cool!
I have been giving going short bed a lot of thought. I keep changing my mind. Decisions decision