The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
KellerMAC

Tire age

Here's one for you - in 1998 I put new rubber on my 72 C10 and shortly thereafter (less than 100 miles), I pulled the truck into the garage and started my rebuild. I left the stock wheels and new tires on the frame during the rebuild and then I swapped out the steelies for rally wheels. The tires look brand new and have no tread wear - however, when I went to have them mounted on the rally wheels at Discount Tire (where I bought them in 1998), the guy looked at the date on the tires and refused to mount them on the rally wheels. I ended up taking them to a local tire shop and they mounted them without issue. Here is my question, should I be concerned with these tires coming apart and go buy new rubber, or should they be fine until I wear them down a bit. I hate to replace them if there is no worries and I want to replace them if there is a concern of them coming apart on me at 60 mph on the highway.

It's always something, right?

Thanks,

KellerMac
Old 05-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
truckster

Re: Tire age

I bought a motorhome last year. It supposedly had 6 new tires on it. I took a trip across country, and after the first blowout I found the inner duals hadn't been replaced. The tread looked new, but the tires were manufactured in 1998. The second one blew out before I made it to a tire shop. I replaced both and the spare, which was also manufactured in 1998. The tires were Michelin, so they weren't junk tires.

After that experience, I get really nervous riding on old tires.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
Evaded

Buy new tires dont take the chance. I bought a 70 Chevelle last year, original owner only drove it on sundays. The tires looked brand new, not dry or cracked.. had 3 blow outs before I realized the tires were old.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
Rufton

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I bought a motorhome last year. It supposedly had 6 new tires on it. I took a trip across country, and after the first blowout I found the inner duals hadn't been replaced. The tread looked new, but the tires were manufactured in 1998. The second one blew out before I made it to a tire shop. I replaced both and the spare, which was also manufactured in 1998. The tires were Michelin, so they weren't junk tires.

After that experience, I get really nervous riding on old tires.
Did you have a chance to look closely at old tires for signs of dry rot?
Rufton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
MARKDTN

I know it is a hard thing, but don't use them. Tires come apart from the inside out. Anything older than 10 years is asking for trouble. It isn't worth the risk. Michelin has done studies and says 7 years is a lifetime.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
chevy72blu

In a similar situation with mine. My tires have approx 20k miles on them, then the truck sat for several years (in a garage, on jack stands, with UV protectant). Date of manufacture is 2003 so I know they should be replaced, but its tough when they literally look new. My mechanic said not to worry about them if they havent been exposed to much sun...

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufton View Post
Did you have a chance to look closely at old tires for signs of dry rot?
There weren't really any signs of dry rot or cracking. Except for looking dirty, the spare I pulled off could have been installed the day before.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
domeier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellerMAC View Post
...Here is my question, should I be concerned with these tires coming apart and go buy new rubber, or should they be fine until I wear them down a bit...
If they're not cracked, then what's the problem? As for "coming apart from inside out," I'd say that's a load of tire salesman bs.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
Rufton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
I know it is a hard thing, but don't use them. Tires come apart from the inside out. Anything older than 10 years is asking for trouble. It isn't worth the risk. Michelin has done studies and says 7 years is a lifetime.
I would think the life expectancy of a garaged nitrogen filled tire is different than a desert sun tire?

Sorry for those who buy tires that have sat on shelf for a few years and didn't check born on date.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
Rufton

Tire issues I've witnessed:

Co-op tire tread blew off. Upon inspecting other three co-op brand tires, cracking was visible on sidewalls. Don't know tire age but they did see sun.

Old cheapo tire blew out on rear of V8 car. Don't know date but tire looked old and ugly, old fashioned tread design.

Tire was roughly 17 years old. Pirelli. Car sat during winters on tires. Had to drive a while to work flat spots out each year. Last year one tire started pulling. I removed tire from rim and saw no problem. I suspect belt damage from driving on cold flat spots.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufton View Post
I would think the life expectancy of a garaged nitrogen filled tire is different than a desert sun tire?

Sorry for those who buy tires that have sat on shelf for a few years and didn't check born on date.
Yes, of course. But you don't know when it will come apart. Don't get me wrong, I have a garaged car with this very issue. I hate to spend that kind of money when the tread is deep, but I also don't want to spend a bunch of money to fix the fenders or quarters if the tread separated. I hope to change them this year. Until then, not going fast or far.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
Mister-B
Account Suspended

What does the date stamp look like, and where is it located?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

I have never worried about the dates on tires. Common sense should be used when visually looking at them.
To the OP, i would run the tires if they look OK.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
Rufton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=11&
Old 05-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #15
bruceman1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
On the sidewall
Name:  Tire-Code.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  51.2 KB
Old 05-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #16
Rufton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
Yes, of course. But you don't know when it will come apart. Don't get me wrong, I have a garaged car with this very issue. I hate to spend that kind of money when the tread is deep, but I also don't want to spend a bunch of money to fix the fenders or quarters if the tread separated. I hope to change them this year. Until then, not going fast or far.
I hear ya.
Tire age can add up quick as people age
When I took approx. 17 year old tire off rim, there was no evidence of dry rot inside or out. I took it off rim the red neck way and the rubber was very tough and didn't offer to crack.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #17
cheyenne shortstep

That is most definitely not a load of salesman BS, a friend is a Pirelli big shot and warns me all the time about the age of tires [he knows me and my old cars]. Appearance means nothing, method of storage means nothing, AGE means everything. Don't chance it.
cheyenne shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #18
BurnoutNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by domeier View Post
If they're not cracked, then what's the problem? As for "coming apart from inside out," I'd say that's a load of tire salesman bs.
The way a tire deteriorates is from the inside out. Regular air can rot the inside of the tire.

I had a 33" tire that looked brand new, but was about 8 years old peel the tread and destroy the box on my 71 K10. Old tires scare the crap out of me now.
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #19
71swb4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutNova View Post
The way a tire deteriorates is from the inside out. Regular air can rot the inside of the tire.
I am not saying you are wrong, but I am curious as to why you are saying regular air rots the inside faster than the outside. There is regular air on the outside too right?

To the OP I would caution you to sift through the advice and try to find some info from educated sources.
Logically I think we can agree that there is a difference between a tire stored inside and one stored outside. I think we can also agree that tires are very important, and if we could choose between causing an accident, and spending money on new tires, we would spend the money. Of course the question which you are asking is when is it necessary to spend that money to avoid that accident. That is where you need educated sources.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #20
Rufton

I would love to see more tire deterioration data on garaged cars.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #21
'68OrangeSunshine

I bought new tires for my '68 Stepside in 2002, then discovered that after only 25 years and 250,000 miles the old 292 L6 was not getting fuel/air to cylinders 3 + 4, so I put it up on stands and started a rebuild. The project took me 3 years to complete, during which time, I rubbed vegetable oil into the rubber, kept the truck under a carport, with a car-cover on, and special [RV type] canvas tire covers-- when not working on it. After the truck was back on the road with a newly rebuilt 292, it ran fine with not much treadwear, until I had a blowout Thanksgiving weekend 2010. When they saw the date code at Discount Tire, they said that was why the tire failed.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #22
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shop...ing/Tire+Aging
Info on tire aging

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Research/Vehicl...g+(VRTC)/Tires
Tire aging for the techie

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how-...our-tires.html

More tire aging info
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #23
Rufton

"NHTSA estimates that about 400 fatalities annually may have been attributed to tire failures"

NHTSA "estimates 34,080 people died in motor vehicle traffic crashes in 2012."
Old 05-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #24
domeier

I guess it comes down to this: If you want to spend money to replace new tires with new tires... It's a free country.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #25
terry b

If it were me i would scrap them and buy a new set. Run a hole saw thru the sidewall so somebody else does not find them and run them. I would hate to hear you blew a tire crossed the center line and killed someone because you were saving a buck. Hell it could be me.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote