The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
beachbum

help im burnin up

ok guys finally got my new compressor put it on a new dryer and a new filter....vacuumed it down holds good vacuum,almost 2 pounds freon in it,perfect on the gauges 150 on the high side 40 on the low,but its not getting cold under the hood at all? i thought at 1st maybe something to do with the switches,but then i got to thinking more lol and like i said not even getting cold in the engine compartment so what the hell,what am i doing wrong what else is ther? any help is greatly appreciated cause im at a standstill and if i cant fix this i cant drive it to hot for this old man (
p.s its a 1978 el camino 350 motor
beachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
pontgta

Re: help im burnin up

Are you getting hot air from the vents or cold?... Hot air could mean the heater is on ... Did you replace the orifice tube( which i think if you got good pressures you should be good.)? did you run the car and see if that helped? also temp outside is about 85(here in Central FL) so the pressure should be more like 45-55 and high maybe around 200-250....so might be a tad bit low..

Last edited by pontgta; 05-13-2013 at 06:17 PM.
pontgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
beachbum

im getting hot air from the vents,the heater has been deleted,the only damn thing i havent replaced is the orifice tube,thats the one that runs from the condensor to the dryer right? but my question on that is even if it is bad,wouldnt the lines coming from the back of the compressor still get cold? or does it have to circulate show how before that happens? and what is an orifice tube do besides connect the condensor to the dryer? thnx for all help troy
Old 05-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Troy,

The orifice tube is a filter screen that goes inside the high pressure line, Most are right at the condenser/line fitting.

Your high side should be in the 225/250 range here in FL so your a little low there.....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
pontgta

Try to bump up the pressures a bit, before you do anything... The orifice tube is from the condenser to evaporator. I look at it being what make the Freon cold. It is a screen the restricts Freon flow to help it turn into vapor.

Orifice tube is in the small line going into the evaporator
Old 05-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
beachbum

ok let me try this since im not very good at explaining,i put on a new dryer and before i connected the dryer to the evap i pulled out the screened filter in the evap and replaced it also...r u guys telling me the the line that runs across the radiator connecting the condensor to the evap also has a filter in it? cause i just bought that line at the junkyard,and i`ll see about adding more freon the get the pressure up,kid that put it in told me 150 was good on the highside
Old 05-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
tucsonjwt

I know next to nothing about A/C, but just a suggestion - take your truck to one of the shops that have a $30 A/C check special and let them figure out what is wrong. I would not tell them what you have done, until they tell you that what you already replaced needs replacing.

Or, take it to a real A/C professional shop and let them troubleshoot it. For me, $30 - $75 is worth preserving my mental health.

I know this violates the square body owner's code, and I am as stubborn about DIY as the next guy, but sometimes it just makes sense to spend a few $$ for professional help rather than blow many more $$ on the wrong parts. ("not sayin' you need professional help in no bad way"

Having said that, it is always good to post here first. I have found many time and labor saving answers for "free" on this forum. If it turns out that you have ductwork and actuator valve/blend door problems, then we have a lot on that here, including a great tutorial with pics on R&R of the whole system.

Good luck and keep us posted.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
beachbum

i agree with ya,sometimes its better im getting alot of good suggestions to check out,if worse comes to worse i`ll break down and take to the shop. thnx
Old 05-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
pontgta

High side 150 is low for the days we are having here in Central Fl.

45-55 low side when temp is about 85 outside.

Orifice tube looks like this.

Freon flows from the compressor to the condenser through the orifice tube to the evaporator through the accumulator, and then back to the compressor

also does the compressor stay on or cyle
Old 05-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #10
beachbum

yea i replaced that,the compressor cycles but in short burst,how about the aluminum line that runs from the dryer over the radiator to the condensor...does that have any filters in it or just a clear line connecting the 2? thnx troy
Old 05-14-2013, 08:30 AM   #11
chebyshortbox65

2 pounds is low these hold anywhere from 2.5-5 ponds according to my sticker on my 81 just go by the gauges and add until the pressures are correct and its cold
Posted via Mobile Device
chebyshortbox65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #12
beachbum

ok thnx for that thats my plans now to add more and see thnx
Old 05-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #13
pontgta

Yes, the Compressor should come on and stay on, unless its freezing in side the cab, then if you have a temp sensor that will cut the compressor off. I do not think you have a temp sensor , and the only thing that cuts off the compressor is the low pressure switch.