The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Audio Installs

What are you guys running? Looking to upgrade the shortbed. I like it loud, fast, and metal.

Seriously, though...what kind of setups are you guys running in the single cabs that produce loud, clean, clear sound? The dually will be next, so maybe post up some Crew Cab/Suburban recipes, too.
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Re: Audio Installs

I had an '87 regular cab about 10 years ago that had a pretty simple setup in it that sounded pretty good. In the front, we took a pair of 5.25" components, and installed the woofers in the center location, and the tweeters in the factory 3.5 location. A set of 6x9's in the cab corners, an 8" woofer in a truck box and all run of of a 5 channel amp. The thing I liked best about it was that nothing was really cut up, but it would have been better to run the sub under the seat if possible. It wasn't an option so much back then, so the seat was pushed up a bit.

On my '74, I ran an ipod cable straight to a 4 channel amp with 6.6" components in the doors and 6x9's in the cab corners. It did pretty good for what it was, but you weren't going to go to any competitions with it.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
BigMike608

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
I had an '87 regular cab about 10 years ago that had a pretty simple setup in it that sounded pretty good. In the front, we took a pair of 5.25" components, and installed the woofers in the center location, and the tweeters in the factory 3.5 location. A set of 6x9's in the cab corners, an 8" woofer in a truck box and all run of of a 5 channel amp. The thing I liked best about it was that nothing was really cut up, but it would have been better to run the sub under the seat if possible. It wasn't an option so much back then, so the seat was pushed up a bit.

On my '74, I ran an ipod cable straight to a 4 channel amp with 6.6" components in the doors and 6x9's in the cab corners. It did pretty good for what it was, but you weren't going to go to any competitions with it.
nice setups!
Old 05-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
JCampbell
Account Suspended

So, you’re saying you ran the 5.25” woofers in the center speaker mount in the dash? Hmm. You didn’t have to cut it up to fit (not that it really matters to me).

I’m running those 6” kickpanel pods in my Suburban.
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCampbell View Post
So, you’re saying you ran the 5.25” woofers in the center speaker mount in the dash? Hmm. You didn’t have to cut it up to fit (not that it really matters to me).

I’m running those 6” kickpanel pods in my Suburban.
Just minor trimming, IIRC. It's been a while. It was all under the dash pad, though.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
bohmankid

I have four 6x9's in a truck box and one 8 inch sub in a truck box behind the seat. Only thing that sucks is no room back there to put stuff and the seat has to come forward so my 6-pack-impaired friends can't drive the truck LOL.
bohmankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
Kudzupatch

Just put a Sound Ordnance power 8" sub under the seat of my Suburban and pleasantly surprised. Great tight bass and except for the ground wire running to the seat bolt there is no clue it is there unless you look.

Now if your young and looking to rattle the neighbors windows this isn't for you. It just can't create that much sound pressure. But if your looking for good sounding bass this thing can do that EASILY. My Suburban with all new speakers sounds as good as my Caddy with a Bose system.
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote