The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Scott>72-GMC

For those of you hacking up beds

If ur cutting up a bed keep me mind I want to keep my tank cut out but have a pretty nasty scrape/dent below it. I need a patch. In no hurry
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Scott>72-GMC

Re: For those of you hacking up beds

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Scott>72-GMC

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Item #2 on the bottom of page is less than $20:
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=27

-------
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
Robznob11

To be honest unless your a very good welder fixing the shrinkage from welding the patch will probably be more work than fixing what you have. These flat panels oil can bad!
Posted via Mobile Device
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
Scott>72-GMC

Isn't that y u spot weld hopping around to keep from to much heat. It's a lot worse than u can see here
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
Scott>72-GMC

And if you are talking about Lmc part # 2 I don't think it goes up high enough.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
69chevy lwb

When you weld it shrinks the metal there's no way around that stitch welding reduces shrinking but you will still need to hammer and dolly the area to stretch the metal back out so it fits the shape and stiffens up
Posted via Mobile Device
69chevy lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #9
Scott>72-GMC

Hmmm well sounds like a lot of that either way. There are some big gouges in that scrape
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Hey Scott, I'm scrapping out 2 beds right now. That area should be good if you want it. I will check for sure in the morning. Let me know the size from the top (or the bottom) and front of the bed.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevy lwb View Post
When you weld it shrinks the metal there's no way around that stitch welding reduces shrinking but you will still need to hammer and dolly the area to stretch the metal back out so it fits the shape and stiffens up
Posted via Mobile Device
Well,guys making shortbeds out of longbeds have to weld top to bottom twice on each side and somehow the beds come out nice. Seen some novice body men turn out nice results. No one said there wasn't work in bodywork.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #12
Robznob11

Wink Re: For those of you hacking up beds

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Well,guys making shortbeds out of longbeds have to weld top to bottom twice on each side and somehow the beds come out nice. Seen some novice body men turn out nice results. No one said there wasn't work in bodywork.
I have a good gas mig with low heat and am pretty good at welding. I have modded lots of things on my truck but as statet there is no way around srinkage and the hammer and dolly. I spent a full week filling a marker light on one side i mean i went super slow and plenty of cooling. I would do a tac or two and then come back in 20 to 30 min and when it was almost done well it oilcanned! I did the first side 2 times . And the point is unless you have a tig and plan to spend hours with a hammer and dolly your better off to just fix what you have if its not rusted out! Either way your probably going to end up with dynaglass filler so why not save the time and the broke tools and so one that are going to fly once you get pissed when you relize we told you so! Not trying to be smart but i have thrown and beat lots of crap when things did not go as planned! If you have plenty of body lines around patches are a breeze but bedsides are for the pro's!
Posted via Mobile Device

LED TAILS
Old 05-16-2013, 12:29 AM   #13
Scott>72-GMC

Lockdoc, I will get a measurement in the morning and get measurements to you. My guess at this moment is 16" x 8" or so. But I will give u exact tomorrow and a reference point. Thanks. Aprox amount u want too please thanks!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robznob11 View Post
I have a good gas mig with low heat and am pretty good at welding. I have modded lots of things on my truck but as statet there is no way around srinkage and the hammer and dolly. I spent a full week filling a marker light on one side i mean i went super slow and plenty of cooling. I would do a tac or two and then come back in 20 to 30 min and when it was almost done well it oilcanned! I did the first side 2 times . And the point is unless you have a tig and plan to spend hours with a hammer and dolly your better off to just fix what you have if its not rusted out! Either way your probably going to end up with dynaglass filler so why not save the time and the broke tools and so one that are going to fly once you get pissed when you relize we told you so! Not trying to be smart but i have thrown and beat lots of crap when things did not go as planned! If you have plenty of body lines around patches are a breeze but bedsides are for the pro's!
Posted via Mobile Device
There are nay-sayers and there are prove-you-wrongers,I guess. Lots of us have done this type of welding (some for many decades) with great success. So,you're not telling us anything new. Guys gut tops across the flat to add clearance lamps,put 67/68 noses on 69-72 hoods,and on and on. In this case "fixing it" means welding on the flat,anyway. Heck,it's already bent! So...

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 05-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #15
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Hey Scott, I'm scrapping out 2 beds right now. That area should be good if you want it. I will check for sure in the morning. Let me know the size from the top (or the bottom) and front of the bed.

LockDoc
Hi Leon,

I am looking for some patches also. I am filling in the area where the gas filler doors are. If you can save those pieces, I will buy them. Send me a PM when you have a chance.

Thank you.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #16
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott>72-GMC View Post
Lockdoc, I will get a measurement in the morning and get measurements to you. My guess at this moment is 16" x 8" or so. But I will give u exact tomorrow and a reference point. Thanks. Aprox amount u want too please thanks!!
Sounds good. The cost is a Soda if you want to come and get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
Hi Leon,

I am looking for some patches also. I am filling in the area where the gas filler doors are. If you can save those pieces, I will buy them. Send me a PM when you have a chance.

Thank you.
We'll see what Scott needs first. Let me know the sizes and a picture of the area. I would think as long as the contour is the same and no body lines are involved they could come from anywhere along that plane on the bed side.

LockDoc

-
Old 05-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #17
Robznob11

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
There are nay-sayers and there are prove-you-wrongers,I guess. Lots of us have done this type of welding (some for many decades) with great success. So,you're not telling us anything new. Guys gut tops across the flat to add clearance lamps,put 67/68 noses on 69-72 hoods,and on and on. In this case "fixing it" means welding on the flat,anyway. Heck,it's already bent! So...
Yea i guess your right! If you want to spend 2 weeks to cut weld and rebend the metal befor you fix it go ahead your going to end up with pretty much the same results! Id say i fit in the prove you wrong catigory. I channeled my truck, compleatly reworked the front end to look like a camaro, did a 61 dash swap, tubbed it shaved the inners, so on and so on! Im speaking from experiance! Some things have to be cut and welded but from this pic im 99.9 % you will get better results re working the oe. You know its kinda the same as people who throw out a fender because of a minor dent and order a repop only to find there is 10 times more work in fitting the repop again i learned from making the imstake q/4 to match the door. My cowl hood has to be slice down both sides to flatten out to match the fenders. Im not trying to be a know it all. Just trying to save someone else the head ache! It certainly can be done but be prepaired for 3 times the work!
Posted via Mobile Device

LED TAILS
Old 05-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #18
VA72C10
VA72C10

I agree it can happen...I've seen a firewall be shaved and oil can even though the same guy shaved my markers and it didn't do anything at all...he simply welded in the patches with a mig and I ground down the welds and it was good for final skim and paint. So sometimes it can oil can and others it won't. As mentioned...tack and wait....tack and wait. Have something else you can work on at the same time....put a couple tacks in and then work on the other area then come back to it when its' cooled down.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #19
Scott>72-GMC

Easy guys. Lol. Lockdoc. I measure from the top of the bed down
18" to 24". Then from the front 4" in to 24" if you have enough to make it a little bigger great if not ok. Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #20
Scott>72-GMC

Oh I'll probly have to have it mailed if we can work that out ill pay shipping , and a little more if u need it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #21
chevy72blu

I have never welded sheet metal (plenty of thicker stock) but I plan to start learning in the near future. Can someone explain what oil canning is? Its obviously from too much heat, but what happens? The metal crinkles or something?

Thanks

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #22
Robznob11

Talking Re: For those of you hacking up beds

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy72blu View Post
I have never welded sheet metal (plenty of thicker stock) but I plan to start learning in the near future. Can someone explain what oil canning is? Its obviously from too much heat, but what happens? The metal crinkles or something?

Thanks
Well it a combination of heat expansion and then metal shrinkage! When you put a patch in there is a gap between the oe metal and the patch. As you stich it in no mater how slow the metal gets hot and a puddle fills a small portion of the gap. As it cools it shrinks and pulles the open gap together. On flat pannels expecially if your doing a 4 sided patch as the gaps try to pull together it sinks in like a dent. The oe metal aslo wants to go to its original shape so with a slight push from the inside it will pop out and back in easly. Kinda like having a wobbly knee with no support. If you try to leave it like that and fill it the filler will eventually seperate because the metal behind it has no support. Thats why if your going to do a patch like that you need very tight gaps alot of time and you need to hammer the welds along the way. Also you dont want any 90 corners. If you round them it lessens the hot spot where two sides meet. I have also had better luck doing one side at a time as opposed to working the full patch. This way you only get pulling in one direction at a time. Any way you look at it your going to have hammer and dolly time. And unless you are a way awsome metal worker your gonna have filler. Hentce that is why i now way the pros and cons of fixing or patching. Remember the oe dent can be shrunk back just as easy as working a patch. Now rust is a different story! I hope this helps someone
Posted via Mobile Device

LED TAILS
Old 05-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #23
special-K
Special Order

When I typed that last post I didn't even notice I was responding to someone different than the one who began with the nay-sayin'. Like I said,no one ever said there wasn't "work" in "bodywork". A shop will toss a part and bolt-on (they think) a new replacement because time is money,half of them couldn't repair it right,or they don't think the customer is willing to pay more for better results. On the other hand,if it's a hobby project,time is what it is and the most important thing is the end result. I remember when you had to braze sheet metal and I did my share. Back before the modern welding equipment most anyone would say you're peeing into the wind to weld body sheet metal because of warping. This new stuff gives you a fighting chance. Not saying it can't warp,but better results are much more possible and anyone willing to take it on should go for it.

And LockDoc,you're alright. I think I'll take all those things I said about you back now.

Tim

Old 05-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #24
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Sounds good. The cost is a Soda if you want to come and get it...

We'll see what Scott needs first. Let me know the sizes and a picture of the area. I would think as long as the contour is the same and no body lines are involved they could come from anywhere along that plane on the bed side.

LockDoc
Hi Leon,

I attached two photos left and right sides if that gives you an idea. I did not get a chance to measure today but I will if you think I need to. I agree with your thinking, it could come from anywhere on the side.

Send me a PM and we can discuss further. I don't like to be a thread hacker.
Tom
Attached Images

TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #25
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Easy guys. Lol. Lockdoc. I measure from the top of the bed down
18" to 24". Then from the front 4" in to 24" if you have enough to make it a little bigger great if not ok. Thank you
I can make it any size but the bigger it is the more it will cost to ship.

Quote:
Oh, I'll probly have to have it mailed if we can work that out ill pay shipping , and a little more if u need it
I'll PM you on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K
And LockDoc,you're alright. I think I'll take all those things I said about you back now.
Aww, don't do that tim, I know they were all good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
Hi Leon,

I attached two photos left and right sides if that gives you an idea. I did not get a chance to measure today but I will if you think I need to. I agree with your thinking, it could come from anywhere on the side.

Send me a PM and we can discuss further. I don't like to be a thread hacker.
Tom
PM sent.

LockDoc

-