The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Need help please: Underhood pics of OEM camper harness and aux battery harness

Trying to tie in both a camper harness and an aux battery harness for my 72 K20. Hoping to get some detailed underhood routing pics for:

1) a camper harness with an OEM aux battery to see where the red camper (+) wire goes along the firewall then heads forward
2) where the red camper wire ties into the aux battery harness
3) what the aux battery J-blocks/wires look like mounted to the RH fender
4) did GM buddy tape both the camper (+) red wire AND the aux harness red wire to the forward lamp harness

I want to make sure everything is wired correctly so as not to fry any lines and will use the pics in conjunction with what's in the assembly manual. I know the aux harness is buddy taped to the forward lamp harness.

Appreciate any help, thanks!
Attached Images

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Re: Need help please: Underhood pics of OEM camper harness and aux battery harness

bump....

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
Old 05-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
FirstOwner69

Re: Need help please: Underhood pics of OEM camper harness and aux battery harness

I assume you've checked the assembly manual? The 1971 portion has several pages showing the routing/installation of both options. My 69 has the camper wiring, but not the auxiliary battery. However, it appears from the manual that some things changed between 69 and 71. As an example, the manual shows 2 junction blocks on the right fender. Mine only has the one normal one. The hot wire comes off the block and goes across the core support held in place by clips. It is not wrapped with the other harness wires nor enclosed in the "conduit" with the other wires across the core support. It then runs parallel behind the side of the left fender with the harness all the way to the firewall. If you'd like a I can take some pics in a few days. I just reinstalled the harness a couple days ago as it was before my tear-down 2 years ago. Everything is exposed since I still have not installed fenders, etc.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Thanks a lot. I have the routing per the assembly manual just hoping to get pics for the shop guys to make the install easier and correct. The route you describe across the rad support sounds identical to that for one of the aux battery wires. Any pics of a camper harness power wire course across the firewall would help. What I need most is to know where the camper wire ties into the aux battery harness - maybe on one of the two J-blocks on the RH fender (aux battery uses 2 on the RH fender)? I don't want the power turned on and wires start melting under the hood because of an improper install or unnecessary holes drilled into the sheet metal. Appreciate your help!

Old 05-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
MusicMan70

Here's something that may help.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan70 View Post
Here's something that may help.
Thanks for posting! The voltage regulator location differs from what's in the manual....was this a GM install? Appreciate the help. Pete

Old 05-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
MusicMan70

I don't use the regulator; just left it there after the conversion to 3 wire alternator. This is a factory ordered auxiliary battery (per SPID) truck. May be different due to year and yours is a K-Truck.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Thanks a lot. I have the routing per the assembly manual just hoping to get pics for the shop guys to make the install easier and correct. The route you describe across the rad support sounds identical to that for one of the aux battery wires. Any pics of a camper harness power wire course across the firewall would help. What I need most is to know where the camper wire ties into the aux battery harness - maybe on one of the two J-blocks on the RH fender (aux battery uses 2 on the RH fender)? I don't want the power turned on and wires start melting under the hood because of an improper install or unnecessary holes drilled into the sheet metal. Appreciate your help!
I was finally able to get some pictures of the under hood camper harness installation in my 69. This is the original and was not removed when I disassembled the truck. I only coiled the hot wire and zip-tied to the firewall. It is installed exactly as it was when the truck was new. I'm not sure how this would vary with the dual battery setup. The pictures trace the route from the junction block on the right fender to where it joins the additional wires for the rear lights and drops down the firewall to the bottom of the cab.

I'll probably have to post the pics in 2 posts.

Hope it helps.

Jim
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #9
FirstOwner69

Last picture...
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2013, 01:08 AM   #10
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

That's a huge help! Thanks a lot. I suspect these tie in at a jnx block on the RH fender. I really appreciate your effort in taking the photos.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:21 AM   #11
leddzepp

All of the dual battery trays I have come across have had the regulator mounted underneath the auxiliary tray on the core support, fwiw.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
FirstOwner69

Quote:
That's a huge help! Thanks a lot. I suspect these tie in at a jnx block on the RH fender. I really appreciate your effort in taking the photos.
Correct. The junction block I'm supporting in my hand in the 1st picture is the one that is mounted in the normal position near the primary battery on the right fender. It's the only junction block on the truck (no auxiliary battery).
Old 05-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
burb71

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
All of the dual battery trays I have come across have had the regulator mounted underneath the auxiliary tray on the core support, fwiw.
Posted via Mobile Device
The two 1971 trucks I have had with Factory Aux battery Boxes the Volt Reg mounts in the 3 holes on the left side of the Aux Battery box.
Is it different in earlier years?
Do early Aux boxes not have the mount holes pre drilled in the side?
burb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #14
MusicMan70

Quote:
burb71 Re: Need help please: Underhood pics of OEM camper harness and aux battery harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

The two 1971 trucks I have had with Factory Aux battery Boxes the Volt Reg mounts in the 3 holes on the left side of the Aux Battery box.
Is it different in earlier years?
Do early Aux boxes not have the mount holes pre drilled in the side?
My 70 had the regulator mounted to the side of the Aux tray.

Also Burb71 asked me about the simple wiring coming off the posts of the Aux battery and why they weren't cables. My response was the "load" was not the same. That is, it's not used for starting, just to supply electrical to a camper. Am I correct?
Attached Images

Last edited by MusicMan70; 05-25-2013 at 02:15 PM.
MusicMan70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #15
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Here's a pic of the volt reg attached to an aux battery tray. I'll plan on tying the aux battery and camper harness wires together at one of the two j-blocks on the RH fender.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2013, 12:08 AM   #16
HotRod C/10

looks like you need a fan belt too!
Quote:
Trying to tie in both a camper harness and an aux battery harness for my 72 K20. Hoping to get some detailed underhood routing pics for:

1) a camper harness with an OEM aux battery to see where the red camper (+) wire goes along the firewall then heads forward
2) where the red camper wire ties into the aux battery harness
3) what the aux battery J-blocks/wires look like mounted to the RH fender
4) did GM buddy tape both the camper (+) red wire AND the aux harness red wire to the forward lamp harness

I want to make sure everything is wired correctly so as not to fry any lines and will use the pics in conjunction with what's in the assembly manual. I know the aux harness is buddy taped to the forward lamp harness.

Appreciate any help, thanks!

-1976 SILVERADO
YUBA GOLD/NEUTRAL (2-TONE)
HotRod C/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #17
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Doh!! You're right Dave....thx bud.