The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
sasquatch58

blocks and coils

I need to know if has anyone used both blocks and drop coils on rear suspension
sasquatch58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
BMERDOC

Re: blocks and coils

Its done on a regular basis. I have 3" coils and 2" blocks on mine. 2" blocks are frowned upon with 15" wheels because the lower end of the u-bolt is below the scrub line in the event of a rear tire blow out.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

In most cases, you're best off to get your drop from springs first. It's the same price to buy a 2,3,4,5, or 6" spring. Just buy what you desire. Then in the future, if you want a bit more, then do the blocks in addition to the spring.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
sasquatch58

Cool Re: blocks and coils

thanks tx.ff. I appeciate the response .I was thinking in terms of geometry.my truck came with 1 1/2"" drop blocks and I want a 4.5" rear drop,so i figured instead of replacing the new stock shocks i would use the blocks ,which decreases shock travel by 1 1/2"-then i would use ccp.3" lowering coils which would give me back the 1 1/2 travel i lost and will add 1 1/2" more which will give me a total of + 1 1/2" of travel, in turn it should'nt effect shock performance. and i should still be able to use the stock panhard bar.does it sound right to you .please let me know if i'm on the right track..thanks again.
sasquatch58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
jc70chevy

i have 5inch coils and 2 inch blocks love the way it rides
jc70chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch58 View Post
thanks tx.ff. I appeciate the response .I was thinking in terms of geometry.my truck came with 1 1/2"" drop blocks and I want a 4.5" rear drop,so i figured instead of replacing the new stock shocks i would use the blocks ,which decreases shock travel by 1 1/2"-then i would use ccp.3" lowering coils which would give me back the 1 1/2 travel i lost and will add 1 1/2" more which will give me a total of + 1 1/2" of travel, in turn it should'nt effect shock performance. and i should still be able to use the stock panhard bar.does it sound right to you .please let me know if i'm on the right track..thanks again.
That's good logic. Drop blocks do give you drop without impacting shock length. You'd likely be able to use the 1.5 blocks and 3 inch springs with stock shocks and no shock relocators. You will likely need to address centering the rearend with an adjustable track bar of some flavor.

Before anyone poo poos on me saying to run a 3 inch spring with stock shocks and no relocators, that is my opinion I have made by doing it myself. I've run 4 and 5 inch springs without relocators. They may not ride quite as well, but it sure is cheaper. A lot of recommendations on what to use are made by the people who sell the parts and not people who have done it on their own. That's just my first hand opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote