The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
jocko

sometimes the simplest things can be so... (spare tire vs. bed wood bolts....)

So,
My truck was missing the long, loosely mounted bolt that slips through the lower frame rail in the bottom of the c-channel to hold the passenger side of the spare tire retainer up. i.e. it's the first thing you loosen (the spare tire nut on the end of the bolt I'm talkin about) when you drop the spare.

So, I got the replacement bolt with the rectangular head on it. And I believe I've now discovered that these bolts were inserted on the assembly line PRIOR to bed installation. There is physically no way to get that long (about 10-12") through the hole in the c-channel because of the angle forced by the presence of the bed floor.

So, no problem, right? I'm lucky to have a wood bed, so figured I'd just remove that one slat above the frame rail so I could drop the bolt thru and then bolt the slat back down. So, went to remove the two adjoining bed wood slats that retain the wood and, lo and behold, every single square nut is stripped. Why in the #$%^&* they ever used square nuts is beyond me, however, they did. Dumb.

So, now the dilemma is, short of REMOVING THE BED or torching off the bed wood retainer bolts, which I really don't want to do, or throw the spare in my passenger seat (kinda kidding). I do not want to put it in the bed. I would really like to put the stock passenger side retention strap bolt in place. Gotta run out for awhile, so thought I'd throw this up here and let it simmer and maybe save myself some time staring blankly at the bottom of my truck cursing GM for the great design.

So, I've GOT to be missing something here. Simply can't be this hard to throw the loose swinging bolt into the c-channel hole... I'd wager someone else has run into this, and I'm just not firing on all cylinders this morning apparently so thought I'd ask the simplest question on the planet - how do I get that friggin bolt in that friggin hole!?! It's funny the silly little things that seem to pop up on these old beaters.

Just wondering if I'm somehow missing something very simple. Thanks for your help.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: sometimes the simplest things can be so... (spare tire vs. bed wood bolts....)

I have had the best luck by over-tightening those square bolts until they snap off.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
cdowns

Re: sometimes the simplest things can be so... (spare tire vs. bed wood bolts....)

to solve that spare tire bolt problem i used threaded rod an nuts from the hardware store to hold it to the frame and the stock thingy on the bottom to hold that rack up in place worked great for many thousands of miles over many years
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Lee H

Grind off enough of the welded on square to let it slip past the upper part of the channel. It will still have plenty of the tab to keep it from falling through the lower hole and still support the weight of the spare.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
I have had the best luck by over-tightening those square bolts until they snap off.
- thanks Scott, it might come to that and that's probably what I'll eventually need to do (if/when I replace the wood, or if I just want to remove it for something like this).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
to solve that spare tire bolt problem i used threaded rod an nuts from the hardware store to hold it to the frame and the stock thingy on the bottom to hold that rack up in place worked great for many thousands of miles over many years
thanks cdowns, I do realize that is an option, and probably what I will end up doing temporarily (i.e. for a LONG time until I restore this old turd), but really looking to use the factory bolts I tracked down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
Grind off enough of the welded on square to let it slip past the upper part of the channel. It will still have plenty of the tab to keep it from falling through the lower hole and still support the weight of the spare.
Thanks Lee - that really won't work in this case. It's not the rectangular part catching on the c-channel, or anywhere - it's the length of the bolt vs. the height of the bed floor (lack thereof) that forces the big angle and keeps the bolt from going through.

Thanks all, appreciate the input - helps me realize there really is no "easy" way to get the factory bolt in there without snapping off and replacing the bedwood strip bolts/nuts (thx Scott, I'm sure that is how I'll have to do it at some point, hadn't consider it yet, but think I'm there). Already have the appropriate size threaded rod and 2 nuts to jam on it once inserted thru the c-channel as cdowns mentioned, that was the backup plan (thanks cdowns, excellent suggestion) - but was just wondering if I was missin something simple. Thanks again for the input guys.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
SS Tim

Can you get enough room loosening/removing the bed bolts and shimming it up? A little at a time on 1 x or 2x wood chunks and padding the front might give you enough room.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
jocko

nope, not really - needs to go up quite a bit. Would probably snap off the bolts and remove two beds strips and 1 plank before I went as far as jackin the bed up. Thanks tho. Probably gonna have to go with the cdowns approach until I have the bed off or change the bed wood someday. At least I'll already have the bolts!
Old 05-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
SS Tim

If the wood is slated for repacement, can't you spot drill the hole from below and then come through from the top with a head size hole saw insert bolt then plug hole?
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
jocko

don't think that would work either, but did consider it. Not gonna replace the bed wood any time soon, and the hole would need to be about 2.5" across to fit the rectangular factory head through it.

Put it in with threaded rod and bolts on top to secure it. Will do for now. Initially thought I'd just save the factory bolts if I restore it - but realistically, the factory approach is so ridiculous, I may just keep this as is and not worry about it. At least it can be removed/installed after the bed is on. Forgot how much fun it is to monster a 3/4 ton tire & wheel onto the spare bracket and get it all adjusted into place by myself. That was awesome, not. But, it's in. Time for a cold one.

Thanks for all the help and ideas gents.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
Daddy Brim

Forgot how much fun it is to monster a 3/4 ton tire & wheel onto the spare bracket and get it all adjusted into place by myself. That was awesome, not. But, it's in. Time for a cold one.

I use my floor jack for that.

67 C-20 Custom Camper
68 Nova 396 it does wheelies
2005 Buick Century the one the wife drives
1989 Toyota Tercel to drive when I can't put gas in the first 2.
Daddy Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
jocko

Ha, yep, I did too. Just nursing a torn elbow tendon, and that made the job much less enjoyable. Single handed is even worse than single person'ed...