The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #1
hart11b

Body Molding Question

I've searched and looked at all the old threads here and couldn't find the answer about body molding, upper and lower.

I'm looking to buy upper and lower (black) molding for my 1972 K20. My truck is not and will never be a show truck, but it is a nice looking truck and a daily driver. I don't want molding that is a big POS and regret buying it.

Ecklers currently has a sale running this weekend and I can pick up upper and lower molding for right at $500 shipped.

I know Mar-K is the highest quality, but is going to run a little over $1000 for everything.

The $500 difference is big money and I can fund other projects with that money.

My question is this. Has anyone seen both Mar-K and the import stuff (I heard all the cheap molding comes from the same overseas company) and can attest to the difference in quality? Any inputs are appreciated.

For my Daily Driver I want something nice, but again, it is not a show truck.
hart11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
Square_78

Re: Body Molding Question

If I was building a $70k show truck then sure get the best moldings. For a daily driver get the $500 moldings. They are all made of anodized aluminum so there is no reason for the $500 price difference. I got mine used for $40 and repainted and cleaned them up and they look really good.
Posted via Mobile Device

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
Evaded

^This^ Wow $40 for the whole set..great deal! Any pics of before and after?
Old 05-26-2013, 01:49 AM   #4
Sklptrljay

Brothers doesn't advertise it, but they sell Mar-k at a better price than Mar-k! I just got all mine for $640
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:55 AM   #5
hart11b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sklptrljay View Post
Brothers doesn't advertise it, but they sell Mar-k at a better price than Mar-k! I just got all mine for $640
That sounds pretty good. I'm definitely checking in to that.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:27 AM   #6
hart11b

Quote:
Is the molding they advertise Mar-K? You'd think it would say, "Made in the USA" or something like that. Unfortunately, they won't be open until Tuesday and Eckler's 15% sale ends Monday.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Sklptrljay

Is the molding they advertise Mar-K? You'd think it would say, "Made in the USA" or something like that. Unfortunately, they won't be open until Tuesday and Eckler's 15% sale ends Monday.

They don't mention it in the catalog, but if you call they will tell you.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

With black you're probably OK w import trim. The woodgrain could be a prob over time. I bought a repro woodgrain tailgate band from LMC for my K10 that quickly began to fade and shrink due to sun exposure. After a year it looked worse than the 40 plus year-old band I swapped it for. Also, if you're handy think about using the 70 and below clips to affix the molding rather than what GM did for 71-72, which used a combo of clips and adhesive stickers. The repro adhesive clips set the molding away from the body too much in my opinion and it doesn't look right. You have to add extra holes in the sheet metal like the 70 and below trucks had but that's no big deal. I went this route on my K20 build linked in my signature below....

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
leddzepp

Quote:
I just ordered a kit from Brothers because I thought this was true...it isn't. Went into brothers yesterday to pick it up, they were a mix and match of various manufacturers. They told me it all comes from the same manufacturer anyways...I was told on the phone I would be getting a Mar-K kit. Not the case...personally I feel like it was a bait and switch. I got my money back.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
Sklptrljay

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
I just ordered a kit from Brothers because I thought this was true...it isn't. Went into brothers yesterday to pick it up, they were a mix and match of various manufacturers. They told me it all comes from the same manufacturer anyways...I was told on the phone I would be getting a Mar-K kit. Not the case...personally I feel like it was a bait and switch. I got my money back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Really? I was speaking about the side molding only, mine all came from mar-k. I can't say what other trim might be. That's troublesome.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
Square_78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evaded View Post
^This^ Wow $40 for the whole set..great deal! Any pics of before and after?
Yes lots of pics. Check the link I'm my signature. I bought them used off the forum here in the sales section.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497

Last edited by Square_78; 05-26-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
leddzepp

Quote:
Really? I was speaking about the side molding only, mine all came from mar-k. I can't say what other trim might be. That's troublesome.
I am talking about upper and lower trim for a 69-72 truck with the lower woodgrain. I have read posts on here, and was told on the phone when I placed my order that I was getting the complete kit, and that it was coming directly from Mar-K. When I got there to pick it up, not only was the trim in generic unmarked bags, they were wrapping the lower black pieces with woodgrain tape. Has anybody else had to wrap their own Mar-K trim!? I was also told that it all comes from the same manufacturer anyways, so that it doesn't really matter.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #13
WIDESIDE72

A few years ago my brother replaced all of his on his 72 Cheyenne. It took years of searching to piece together a good set. Every time he would see a pole at a swap meet he would buy them. He ended up with a few duplicates that he hung on to for spares. You can usually tell the 71-72 poeces because they will ne nice and straight with a screw hole in them from the p.o. "fixing" the adhesive fastener that failed. Most of his originals were like that too. We went with the pre 70 no adhesive fasteners.
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #14
turp mcspray

I bought a set from Classic Industries, a few years ago for a customers truck. They are "counter part". I had those, a set from Mar-k, and gm, all setting side by side. GM were the worst looking (tooling and stamp marks). With the other two side by side, you could see a slight difference. The Mar-k were a little nicer, but not enough to know the difference without being side by side to compare. I would by the cheaper ones, and spend the difference on other parts you need.
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:41 AM   #15
hart11b

Thanks for everyone's input, especially the side-by-side comparisons. I bought the set from Eckler's for $500 shipped (upper and lower in black). I'll post up some pics when I get them. Eckler's set was the cheapest around with the 15% Memorial Day sale.