The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
toyplumbertrucks

hitch help?

Thinking about adding a hitch to my truck, I have a step bumper. Anyone out there have any suggestions on where to buy one or a for sure way to get one out of a bone yard that will work?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
toyplumbertrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
cerjio

Re: hitch help?

I bought a bumper mount receiver hitch for mine last week my bumper is rated for 10000lbs an the hitch is rated for 5000 lbs an 500 lb tongue wait.
cerjio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

There should be lots of hitches available in the aftermarket that will fit these old trucks.

As an example, I searched on Curt Hitches site for a 1970 Chevy with a step bumper : http://www.curtmfg.com/HitchLookup/f...n.+Step+Bumper

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
toyplumbertrucks

I would really like to hear from guys who have already bought one from somewhere and installed it. I would like to learn from someone else than starting off at ground zero, that is why I joined this forum.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I'm not trying to rude in any way here... but a hitch is a hitch. I understand that you want a lot of feedback. But it's a Class 3 hitch (rated to 6,000 lbs) made to fit these trucks (that's why I provided the link). Not sure what info you really need. The hitch that was in my '72 was a booger welded mess from the PO, so I cut it out of the truck. I would install one of these Curt setups (or one like it) in a heartbeat. But I don't tow with this rig.

Again... I mean no disrespect at all... I've been towing with different rigs for a lot of years, just wondering what info you need.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
toyplumbertrucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I'm not trying to rude in any way here... but a hitch is a hitch. I understand that you want a lot of feedback. But it's a Class 3 hitch (rated to 6,000 lbs) made to fit these trucks (that's why I provided the link). Not sure what info you really need. The hitch that was in my '72 was a booger welded mess from the PO, so I cut it out of the truck. I would install one of these Curt setups (or one like it) in a heartbeat. But I don't tow with this rig.

Again... I mean no disrespect at all... I've been towing with different rigs for a lot of years, just wondering what info you need.

Gary
I'm looking for a brand name and model number of good products that attach without alot of headachs, or brand and model numbers of one's to stay away from. I have bought so much stuff over the years that are not quite what they said or as essy to install and then I have to go through the hassle of sending it back that I am just sick of it. So if someone has bought one I just want to hear about it, good or bad.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerjio View Post
I bought a bumper mount receiver hitch for mine last week my bumper is rated for 10000lbs an the hitch is rated for 5000 lbs and 500 lb tongue weight.
What did you get?
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
chevydog66
GM ONLY BABY!!!

This has been asked a few times before. Try doing a search on here.

66 Chevelle Malibu 406ci, 573hp, 10.99@121mph
96 Chevy Silverado Z71
72 GMC 1500 Super Custom LS 6.0/4L65 on airride

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/707879...mc-c-k-pick-up
chevydog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
Roostboy102

I've put a Curt hitch on other vehicles and it was straight forward. Curt and hiddenhitch are to hitches as K&N is to filters. They know what theyre doing
Old 05-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
69GWC

I bought mine from LMC truck, a few holes later and it was installed is half hidden and fit nice.

Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
Lemield

I bought the one on my C20 from U-Haul. It was a few years ago but they had it in stock....actually, they gave me a great deal on it...I think it was $75.00 installed! Works great.

Might be worth a call to your local U-Haul....they might just have one sitting in the back room.

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #12
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Reese makes some decent hitches, but Reunel makes some of the best I have seen. Check this website out.

http://www.reunel.com/rear_bumper.html

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #13
davischevy

toyplumbertrucks, did you ever find a hitch that suits you. I am going to put a sport bumper and receiver hitch on my Longhorn and share your sentiment in wanting a hitch that installs easily.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #14
toyplumbertrucks

I actually got a brand new one from my local lot of fun store in Schererville, In. It is made by draw tite and was built for 67 thru 91 Chevy trucks. I did have to drill 3 holes on each side , but it bolted right in with about a half inch left between the liscense plater holder and top of the receiver. Let me know of you can not find the part number, I will have to find my receipt to get the exact part number. It came with the hardware also. It was around 150 but was worth it. I chose to buy it local just in case I had to return it if it did not fit,, but I would have no problem buying it over the internet now that I know it fits well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #15
cdowns

if one knows how to read a tape measure you can save a bunch of money by gettin one used/// they have made hitches for well over 20years that can fit these trucks by drilling a few holes for mounting them
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #16
toyplumbertrucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
toyplumbertrucks, did you ever find a hitch that suits you. I am going to put a sport bumper and receiver hitch on my Longhorn and share your sentiment in wanting a hitch that installs easily.
Ok it was a draw tite number DT75034 class 3 hitch. I will attach some pictures of my finished product. I did have to shave the holes on the bumper brackets so they would fit right. Go to www.draw-tite.com, type in part number 75034. They do mention seperate spacer blockers and longer bolts, I would get those. I forgot that i used angle iron to beef my frame up there, if I had not done that I would of needed the spacers to clear the bumper. The angle iron is also the reason why I had to shave the bumper brackets. You would not have to do that with the spacers.Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Last edited by toyplumbertrucks; 10-02-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #17
toyplumbertrucks

Quote:
By the way , good looking truck! It looks familiar.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #18
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyplumbertrucks View Post
I actually got a brand new one from my local lot of fun store in Schererville, In. It is made by draw tite and was built for 67 thru 91 Chevy trucks. I did have to drill 3 holes on each side , but it bolted right in with about a half inch left between the liscense plater holder and top of the receiver. Let me know of you can not find the part number, I will have to find my receipt to get the exact part number. It came with the hardware also. It was around 150 but was worth it. I chose to buy it local just in case I had to return it if it did not fit,, but I would have no problem buying it over the internet now that I know it fits well.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm looking at the Reese hitches at Tractor Supply, because of "buy it local just in case". It appears Reese makes a Class IV hitch with 1200# TW for these trucks, and a hitch is not a hitch is not a hitch. We have some 14,000#trailers and I don't want to put that weight on a 500#TW hitch. I was also concerned about the clearance under the license holder. I looks like the Reese could be inverted if I wanted to do a hidden hitch.

Thanks for the info, and if the Reese doesn't work I'll look for a Draw-Tite.

Larry
Old 10-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #19
FirstOwner69

Quote:
I'm looking at the Reese hitches at Tractor Supply, because of "buy it local just in case". It appears Reese makes a Class IV hitch with 1200# TW for these trucks, and a hitch is not a hitch is not a hitch. We have some 14,000#trailers and I don't want to put that weight on a 500#TW hitch. I was also concerned about the clearance under the license holder. I looks like the Reese could be inverted if I wanted to do a hidden hitch.

Thanks for the info, and if the Reese doesn't work I'll look for a Draw-Tite.

Larry
FYI... Reese Draw-Tite and Hidden Hitch brands are all made by Cequent Group. I don't know how the brands/models differ, if at all.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #20
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
FYI... Reese Draw-Tite and Hidden Hitch brands are all made by Cequent Group. I don't know how the brands/models differ, if at all.
Good to know. It's always interesting to find out where things are made and what brands they are sold under.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #21
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyplumbertrucks View Post
By the way , good looking truck! It looks familiar.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks, obviously I like your truck too. I've had a hidden hitch for that truck for twenty years, but never put it on.

The truck I'm putting the hitch on is a 71 big block GMC Longhorn. We have the engine ready to go back in, so at this point I'm hoping it has power to tow.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #22
Steve Hafner

. . . .

This hitch is on a 71 C-10:

. . . .
Attached Images

Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #23
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

True, that hitches vary depending on the TW and GW capacity. But it's still just big nuts and bolts and some holes in the frame that mount them.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #24
425HP409
425hp409

I bought a Class 3 from LMC and it fit nicely, but removed it when I restored the truck as I was not going to be doing any heavy pulling anymore with the truck.
64 Bel Air Wagon, 400 Small Block
57 Bel Air all original 283 w/Factory Air
77 GMC Sprint, 454/425HP
67 Olds 442, all original
90 ZR1 Corvette
425HP409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #25
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
True, that hitches vary depending on the TW and GW capacity. But it's still just big nuts and bolts and some holes in the frame that mount them.

Gary
It did occur to me that I'm stressing over engineering of a hitch and hanging it on a frame that was engineered for nothing more than a dealer bumper with a 500# TW.

BTW; About twenty years ago I did a couple of projects for some people that had a summer home on Whidbey Island. Don't remember why they decided to move here to the Ozark Hills.