The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
rogergodding

New windshield needed, what do you think about the tinted band along the top?

Found what looks to be a good deal on ebay for a new windshield, local pickup for $129 Looks like all they have are the ones with the tint on the top...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300910448205...84.m1438.l2648
rogergodding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Husker

Re: New windshield needed, what do you think about the tinted band along the top?

I have one like that, I like it that way.
Ron
Member #111
68 C-10 Daily Driver
70 4x4 Project
76 Jeep CJ-5

Help Support the Board:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
Thomas Jefferson
Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
tmc1986

Re: New windshield needed, what do you think about the tinted band along the top?

You live in Texas, you could probably use the tint. I think they look fine so I guess it comes down to wether you need it or not.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
weever82

I live in AZ... which means you HAVE to tint it on the top and the side windows or you will burn to death in the summer... lol.

Life's tough...... It's even tougher when your stupid - John Wayne
weever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Be careful. I'm 6' tall, and had my windshield replaced with one that had the band. It annoyed the hell out of me. I was looking through the band the whole time I was driving. It felt like I had on sunglasses at night. I had them come back and put back in a clear window, and I was happy again
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
weever82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Be careful. I'm 6' tall, and had my windshield replaced with one that had the band. It annoyed the hell out of me. I was looking through the band the whole time I was driving. It felt like I had on sunglasses at night. I had them come back and put back in a clear window, and I was happy again
Posted via Mobile Device
I never thought of that! Mainly because I'm only 5' 7" and will never be in my way. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Life's tough...... It's even tougher when your stupid - John Wayne
weever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
Lee H

Love the tint band! A word of caution, most installers won't guaranty against leakage or installation breakage with an owner provided windscreen.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I just installed one in the "Fantasy Truck" this afternoon. They are called "shaded and tinted", Shaded band at the top and the rest is tinted. That is all I ever use and I like them.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
truckster

Some people don't like them, but most do. That's based on sales when I owned my auto glass business.

And as LockDoc said, the band at the top is called shaded. You can order clear (no tint at all), tinted (slight greenish tint, what the factory called Solar-Ray, among other names), or shaded, which is the tinted glass with the shade at the top.

Technaglass, a local chain here, is showing 139.95 installed if you order online. Buying from eBay may not be your best move, especially if you've never replaced one of these. If you supply the glass, the liability is yours. If the glass shop brings the glass, they assume liability.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #10
kcsa75

I called around the local glass shops for estimates. The prices were all over the place, but I found a very reputable shop that would do it for about $225, plus a new gasket. They said I could provide the gasket or they would for an additional $75. GMC Paul and Wes both sell Precision gaskets for less than $40. To me that's a deal!

Regarding the Sunshade, I think they're a great idea, however, I'm almost 6' 4" and realized that if I go that route, I'd be looking right through the Sunshade all the time, so I'm going with the tinted.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #11
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Some people don't like them, but most do. That's based on sales when I owned my auto glass business.

And as LockDoc said, the band at the top is called shaded. You can order clear (no tint at all), tinted (slight greenish tint, what the factory called Solar-Ray, among other names), or shaded, which is the tinted glass with the shade at the top.

Technaglass, a local chain here, is showing 139.95 installed if you order online. Buying from eBay may not be your best move, especially if you've never replaced one of these. If you supply the glass, the liability is yours. If the glass shop brings the glass, they assume liability.
The thing is, I don't mind the tinted band on any vehicle, besides this truck. I have the tinted band in my newer Audi, and it's no problem. Probably because the seat can adjust so low.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2013, 05:19 AM   #12
cdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
i've been 6' for 50years and never had a problem of any type with tinted blackened or banded windshilelds in pickup trucks
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
i've been 6' for 50years and never had a problem of any type with tinted blackened or banded windshilelds in pickup trucks
Here's your gold star

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
First c10

I just talked to my local glass company and the glass was $90 and $135 installed. sometimes they run a speciel $125 installed. Just my .02.
1970 C10 Yellow/White Deluxe LWB w/ 5.3L-LC9/6L80E
1968 K10 LWB Dark green my son calls it "THE HULK Jr"HULK JR *SOLD*
GO GO!!!
First c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Due to the stiff seat and new foam in my '69 Chevy seat, I had to do with the tinted as I am 6'4" and this causes me to look thru the upper part of the WS. However, my '69 GMC seat foam is worn and my view is much more centered in the WS. If I need to replace that WS I will go with the shaded and tinted.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #16
rogergodding

hmm. I will check again on the installation places around here.... Safelite quoted me something like $300 plus. This is going in my son's truck after we paint it, so I will check with his shop teacher. I imagine that he has replaced windshields before, I figure he could help. I have not replaced one before....
rogergodding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogergodding View Post
hmm. I will check again on the installation places around here.... Safelite quoted me something like $300 plus. This is going in my son's truck after we paint it, so I will check with his shop teacher. I imagine that he has replaced windshields before, I figure he could help. I have not replaced one before....
These windshields are apparently hard to install. It took Safelite 3 separate trips coming back to fix leaks. The last guy seemed like he had been in the business a while and knew his stuff. I guess the previous installers didn't get the caulk in the lower center area, and water got in and ran clear to the left corner and dripped
Posted via Mobile Device