The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
papastrk

Move the rear axle centerline forward?

I moved the front wheel centerline one inch forward on my 56 TF and was happy with the look of the tire in the wheel opening. Now I am considering moving the rear wheel forward. Is this something that is commonly done? The tire looks too far back in the opening to me. It is on the original centerline position now.

Last edited by papastrk; 05-27-2013 at 10:30 PM.
papastrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
papastrk

Re: Move the rear axle centerline forward?

I'm running a 265/75-15 tire that is almost 30" tall. This may be making the wheel/tire look off in the wheel opening. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
Old 05-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
nvrdone

I've got 30x9.50x15's on the rear of my 3100 & the axle is centered directly under the rivets in the fender lip. The front edge of the tire just clears the front lip of the fender, I think if you move the axle forward, it would move the tire inside the lip & look out of place.
Just to get a visual, jack up the rear, put jack stands under the springs, remove the u bolts & slide the axle forward. then stand back & look at it.
If you like the results, go for it. after all, you are the only one you have to please.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
papastrk

I didn't find the rivet you mentioned on the fenders I have. I did use the factory assembly manual to double check the centerline and it shows to be right, but it doesn't look to be right. I have looked at other truck pics and they all don't look to be this far back. If guys aren't moving them forward, I may have something wrong here. I am using later model leaf springs and fabricated mounts, so there is a good chance I have located the axle wrong. Does anyone have a measurement I can check mine by?
Old 05-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
NEWFISHER

Not sure if the 56 was the same as my 50, but the axle perch/leaf center pin is set forward. the axle does not rest centered over the leaf pin from the factory. I welded perches with 3 holes in them and had to use the forward hole to center the axle, just like the original axle i took out. When I swapped the 700r4 and used a 92 sblazer driveshaft, I didn't have time on the weekend to run and have the drive shaft shortened 1 inch so I moved the axle back one hole in my perch to " center the axle and perch over the tube" which moved the wheel base back 1 inch and now the rear wheels look like they are not centered in the wheel wells. The problem gets worse with a load as the shackles are at the rear and when loaded, the springs walk backwards and the axle again moves further back. It's not much, but visually on a tan suburban with a black and whitewall tire, it looks kinda weird to a car guy others don't even notice. it drives nice, so I'm saving the $200 cut/balence driveline charge.

Hope it may help. look for a forward hole in your perch and position the axle there or as you mentioned with the spring swap, mabey they are in backwards? measure from eyelet to center pin on the forward end and the back and the math should reveal a problem if they are installed backwards.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
papastrk

The springs I used have the centerbolt centered and have a lot more arch than the original causing the axle to move backward as you described. I made a fixture to load them to ride height so that the axle could be centered at the original location. I may drill an extra hole one inch back so that I can do as you did, but move mine forward and shorten driveshaft. I just haven't heard of anyone moving their axle forward. The front wheel centerline move is popular, but no one seems to be moving the rear. Guess I will move mine and hope I get it right.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
_Ogre

this is my 58 with stock springs and flipped axle
looks centered

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
papastrk

Thanks Ogre. Looks a little further forward than mine. I may just have to move it to where it looks right to me. It doesn't sound like guys are doing any more than flipping as you have done.