The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Makin' Some Progress On The 4x4 Longhorn

(original thread here)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=578866

I'm not moving forward as fast as I had hoped but I am getting some things done on it. The weather has been really crappy here.

The first order of business was to fix the problems caused from improper assembly by the PO, i.e... driveshaft in backwards, steering column in upside down, and heater box assembled incorrectly. I have all of that corrected plus the rear slider and windshield installed. Blasted, painted, & installed the master/booster ass'y. Disassembled and freshened up the instrument cluster and installed it and the new dash pad. Bolted on some small parts like battery box, accelerator pedal ass'y, throttle cable, etc. I am planning on getting the engine finished up and fired in the next few days so I can move it around without having to push it.

Sorry about all the crud. I had to sand and polish around the window openings before I put the glass in and I didn't get it cleaned up before I took the pics.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Makin' Some Progress On The 4x4 Longhorn

-
Cluster and dash pad. I am going to work on it again today.

LockDoc
Attached Images

-
Old 05-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Glad to hear that I am not the only one out there that is considering a 4x4 Longhorn. Even though you already got a start from the PO, your truck has given me a fantastic idea on how to create some interest from my wife on my '69 GMC.

Subscribed and looking forward to more pictures!

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Longhorn 70

I had thought of doing that to mine also as I had never seen one. Then found out from Tim they were never made. Glad to see one being put together....Watching

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
SS Tim

Nice start there Leon. Didn't see your earlier thread. My longtime interest in 4x4 converted C30s and converting Longhorns has dug up some interesting trucks over the years. My focus has been on the true bolt-on field installable kits from NAPCO and Marmon & Herrington.
This method of stretching a K10-20 frame is one way and while quick consideration needs to be given to its ultimate use.
A stock C20 frame is about 8% stiffer than a K10-20 frame. A Longhorn frame is about 45% stiffer that a K10-20 frame. I'm gravitating towards a C30 157" frame for my build be it with a 8 1/2(133" wb) or 9'(147"wb) box. It is about 100% stiffer than a K10-20 frame before I cut it down. So if you or anyone planning a heavy camper or similar high bending/torsion load might want to take this into consideration. Even a C30/K30 designation is questionable if you are retaining a HO52 rear axle in the process. Remember the CK20 GVW tops at 7500lb and a C30 pickup is 9000lb.
Finally the population of 4x4 Longhorns seems to be growing and in a good way (suspect Dieselwrencher's progressive modification build is going to become a Crew Cab before its ever a driver). Here is a conversion from several years ago that you may not be aware of. It is a 1969 C20 Longhorn and has a 4" lift suspension and a 2" body lift with 235 85R /16 " tires.
Attached Images

Last edited by SS Tim; 05-29-2013 at 08:57 PM. Reason: add conversion truck info
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsriv2 View Post
Glad to hear that I am not the only one out there that is considering a 4x4 Longhorn. Even though you already got a start from the PO, your truck has given me a fantastic idea on how to create some interest from my wife on my '69 GMC.

Subscribed and looking forward to more pictures!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn 70 View Post
I had thought of doing that to mine also as I had never seen one. Then found out from Tim they were never made. Glad to see one being put together....Watching
Thanks guys. I don't know how fast this one is going to go together but I plan on working on it as much as I can. I had to trim bushes and mow the yard before it started raining so I didn't get much done on it today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Nice start there Leon. Didn't see your earlier thread. My longtime interest in 4x4 converted C30s and converting Longhorns has dug up some interesting trucks over the years. My focus has been on the true bolt-on field installable kits from NAPCO and Marmon & Herrington.
This method of stretching a K10-20 frame is one way and while quick consideration needs to be given to its ultimate use.
A stock C20 frame is about 8% stiffer than a K10-20 frame. A Longhorn frame is about 45% stiffer that a K10-20 frame. I'm gravitating towards a C30 157" frame for my build be it with a 8 1/2(133" wb) or 9'(147"wb) box. It is about 100% stiffer than a K10-20 frame before I cut it down. So if you or anyone planning a heavy camper or similar high bending/torsion load might want to take this into consideration. Even a C30/K30 designation is questionable if you are retaining a HO52 rear axle in the process. Remember the CK20 GVW tops at 7500lb and a C30 pickup is 9000lb.
Finally the population of 4x4 Longhorns seems to be growing and in a good way (suspect Dieselwrencher's progressive modification build is going to become a Crew Cab before its ever a driver). Here is a conversion from several years ago that you may not be aware of.
Thanks Tim. I know as long as I own it it won't have a camper on it. I sold my camper to Dieselwrencher for his truck. I will print out your post and put it with the paperwork for the truck so anyone that owns it down the road will have the info. If Ryan (Dieselwrencher) modifies his it will be out of necessity. His family keeps growing.....

Thanks for the picture. I love White trucks. Mine will never look that good 'cause all I ever build is drivers.

LockDoc

-
Old 05-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
SS Tim

Thanks Leon. Just trying to keep people informed as always. Treat it within the published K20 loads and everything should be fine. That frame is well done from what I can see and should be a trouble free addition to your truck. If you think of it I'd like to see the backup they used inside the rails.
That white truck is nice, but driver nice and somedays I really kick myself for not just buying it. Somehow I convinced myself a true NAPCO was in my future. If you want more pictures there are a couple more I can post or send.
Unless I missed it somewhere, is your truck a 71 or a 72? What are the trim and color plans, solid paint Cheyenne with parchment buckets maybe?
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Expat_dude

Nice progress!

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u.../1970%20Chevy/
Expat_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I can't wait to see that puppy done, I think it's gonna be sharp!!!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
big mike71

I can't wait to see it at the All Truck Nats Leon.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
Spartan

Ahh yes great build idea...
Been thinking about it a lot lately but in my case it's the horse and carriage and which should come first.
Tim if by chance I come across some hens teeth I'll contact you...unless I have the cash at the time in which case I'd be amiss not to snatch em up myself. Lol
Cheers!
Nim
Posted via Mobile Device

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #12
Spartan

LockDoc - I forgot to ask ^ that windshield looks new. What brand if ya don't mind? I need one and so far haven't found an OEM in good shape nearby. Was thinking maybe something new. Can't afford NOS but that in soft-ray would be me concourse fantasy.
Cheers!
Nim
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 05-30-2013, 12:37 AM   #13
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Thanks Leon. Just trying to keep people informed as always. Treat it within the published K20 loads and everything should be fine. That frame is well done from what I can see and should be a trouble free addition to your truck. If you think of it I'd like to see the backup they used inside the rails.
That white truck is nice, but driver nice and somedays I really kick myself for not just buying it. Somehow I convinced myself a true NAPCO was in my future. If you want more pictures there are a couple more I can post or send.
Unless I missed it somewhere, is your truck a 71 or a 72? What are the trim and color plans, solid paint Cheyenne with parchment buckets maybe?
I'll see if I can remember to get a couple of pictures of the inside of the frame. If I remember correctly the frame is '70 and the cab & bed are 72. It is titled as a '70.

Interior will be black because the new black dash pad and door panels came with it. I have a couple of options for the seat as pictured below. The '69 Suburban came with an extra black pickup seat so I can use it or recover the buckets and use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat_dude View Post
Nice progress!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
I can't wait to see that puppy done, I think it's gonna be sharp!!!
Thanks. I need to burn some midnight oil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike71 View Post
I can't wait to see it at the All Truck Nats Leon.
We'll see how that works out Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
LockDoc - I forgot to ask ^ that windshield looks new. What brand if ya don't mind? I need one and so far haven't found an OEM in good shape nearby. Was thinking maybe something new. Can't afford NOS but that in soft-ray would be me concourse fantasy.
Cheers!
Nim
I didn't ask the brand. It was $95 cash & carry. That is the 5th one I have bought from the same shop. They have worked good for me and I like the shaded & tinted ones.

LockDoc
Attached Images

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 05-30-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #14
70cst

This is a great build and thread

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #15
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

I'm on board....good luck!

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #16
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
This is a great build and thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
I'm on board....good luck!
Thanks gents.
----------------------------------------

I got to work on the truck a little today, just small stuff but it all has to be done. First off I had to replace the fuel sending unit so I installed all of the fuel lines at the same time. I always blow high pressure air through the brake and fuel lines before I hook them up just to make sure they don't have any critters in them. Nothing worse than trying to chase down a fuel problem and finding out it is a cob web or bug plugging up the line. I also rebuilt the starter circuit wire loom and started cleaning up the headlight/relay/alternator wire loom. It is actually in pretty good shape but it had some Red paint on it and a couple of buggered up ends.. One of the trans cooler lines had a hole in it from rubbing on something so I had to make a new one to replace it. I was going to install the dome light but when I looked at it I thought... nope, I can't do that... I need to install the rear cab light first.

No pictures, I forgot to take the camera out to the shop with me and I was too lazy to go back to the house and get it...

LockDoc

-
Old 05-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #17
ole dollor

LockDoc : that is going to be a sharp truck..
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #18
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Thanks gents.
----------------------------------------

I got to work on the truck a little today, just small stuff but it all has to be done. First off I had to replace the fuel sending unit so I installed all of the fuel lines at the same time. I always blow high pressure air through the brake and fuel lines before I hook them up just to make sure they don't have any critters in them. Nothing worse than trying to chase down a fuel problem and finding out it is a cob web or bug plugging up the line. I also rebuilt the starter circuit wire loom and started cleaning up the headlight/relay/alternator wire loom. It is actually in pretty good shape but it had some Red paint on it and a couple of buggered up ends.. One of the trans cooler lines had a hole in it from rubbing on something so I had to make a new one to replace it. I was going to install the dome light but when I looked at it I thought... nope, I can't do that... I need to install the rear cab light first.

No pictures, I forgot to take the camera out to the shop with me and I was too lazy to go back to the house and get it...

LockDoc
Lazy? Nope... it's a long walk..

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 06-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #19
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
More small stuff done on the truck. I made up a new line for the transmission modulator, got the headlights installed, booster hooked up, belts installed, plastic wiring channel screwed to the firewall, finished up the steering column and installed the steering wheel. Not very exciting I know, but it is progress..... I keep losing the pictures on my camera card so I don't know what is going on with that. I will try and take some more this afternoon.

LockDoc

-
Old 06-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #20
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
-
More small stuff done on the truck. I made up a new line for the transmission modulator, got the headlights installed, booster hooked up, belts installed, plastic wiring channel screwed to the firewall, finished up the steering column and installed the steering wheel. Not very exciting I know, but it is progress..... I keep losing the pictures on my camera card so I don't know what is going on with that. I will try and take some more this afternoon.

LockDoc
Almost like you were reading my mind about the updates..

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 06-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #21
Spartan

"it's all in the details"
That's what grandad used to say.
I used to watch him methodically sort stuff and be very detail oriented. Then my dad would just jump in like a bull in a china shop two steps forward one back. In fact gramps was a clean as you go guy and dad was make a big mess and clean it when your done guy.

Anyways, your build is interesting and at least you are making progress. No matter what it's still progress.
Cheers!
Nim
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 08-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #22
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Well fellers a little update. I have had some interruptions but I am making progress on it. First pictures are when we were firing the engine for the first time to break the cam in. A couple of friends came over to give me a hand. with that.

Then I started cleaning up parts and painting them. I got the grille all re-done, bumper brackets, center grille support, and small hardware. Brake lines are all in and brakes bled. I ended up having to disassemble the front brakes, everything was new but it had sat long enough that the wheel cylinders were stuck. I installed the exhaust system that came with the truck, and got the grille and front bumper put on it. I had to completely re-adjust the doors and front sheet metal to get the cowl hood to fit correctly. Bummer...

I drove it around the yard a couple of times today. Whoo-Hoo!

Wing vents, windows, and front fender inner panels are next but I am going to have to put the pickup on hold long enough to change the rear end in the Suburban this next week.

Later,
LockDoc
Attached Images

-
Old 08-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #23
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
More pictures.

LockDoc
Attached Images

-
Old 08-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #24
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
-
More pictures.

LockDoc
believe it or not I was wondering about this truck while I was at my cabin over the weekend. Looking good Doc
Posted via Mobile Device

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 08-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #25
bruceman1968

Lookin real good. Your moving right along on it. Nice Work!