The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2003, 11:50 AM   #1
Long Knight
Spank 'em if you got 'em!

3/4 ton coil spring ??

I am wanting to replace the rear coil springs on my C-20 but have a few questions. What are the advantages/ disadvantages between standard duty and heavy duty (load capacity, ride, installation, will same mounts work). Also, how do I know which ones I have.

By the way, the reason I am changing them is because I have three coils collapsed on each side.

Thanks

'71 C-20, 350ci, TH350, Edl. 1406 Carb w/elec.choke, Ignitor ignition, Viper Tires, Orange Dipstick
Long Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 12:59 PM   #2
rodnok1

trw springs

I am going through same issues with 64 panel right now.
The following are TRW spring #'s (available at advance auto)
cc603 standard duty variable rate
cc615 h/d variable rate
cs 6103 h/d constant rate

I am going with cs6103 because I haul a heavy trailer sometimes and need h/d springs. It will probably ride a little harder(it's a truck big deal) Variable rate springs should give you a little smoother ride unloaded. I could not get actual specs for these springs, I can send you the factory specs from my GM manual if you want. It was like pulling teeth to try and get actual specs. The saddles should be the same, check catalogs for sure(mine is the same for 1/2 and 3/4 ton). Installation depends on if you can get the bolts off easily. Other than that doesn't go to bad. If you are changing springs might want to change shocks/maybe upgrade. I am using monroe le40567 load assist(getting tonight) So mine will ride just a little harder. If you have collapsed springs your truck must haul some seriously heavy loads...might check condition of bushing and the like while you are under there. Good luck
rodnok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 01:06 PM   #3
Long Knight

I already got a quote to have some made, standard duty, for $87/pair. I just wasn't sure if I should go with heavy duty or standard duty. Thanks for the input.

By the way, my grandpa use to put three foot sideboards on it and load it up to the top with wheat during harvest, so it's been put through the paces a few times.

'71 C-20, 350ci, TH350, Edl. 1406 Carb w/elec.choke, Ignitor ignition, Viper Tires, Orange Dipstick
Old 06-26-2003, 01:22 PM   #4
1-PU70

I have a 1/2 ton and put heavey duth 3/4 ton springs in the rear so I coud cary more weight. The rear sat a bit lower and it rode like it had no springs at all. They were out the next day. Went to standerd 3/4 springs and it raised the rear up a tad and it road prity good. I then added helper springs. Helps with heavy loads but you dont feal them empty. I also tried cargo coils or variabal rate and the rear sat way to low they were out the same day. Good luck.
1970 CST/10 402,700R4,3:73 posi,AC,PS,PB,TLT,PW,Buckets with heaters
1-PU70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 01:24 PM   #5
Long Knight

Thanks 1-PU70. I don't haul heavy loads that often and I was going to leave the helper springs on anyway.