The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
Boss hawg

Bagged 47-54

Anybody with bagged AD truck care to share there setups? I out a corvette suspension in mine but the more I see these trucks layed out the more I want to put mine on the ground. I can't get enough information on laying out the front with a corvette suspension so before I get to far into it I might be changing things up a bit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Boss hawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
NEWFISHER

Re: Bagged 47-54

Here's a good thread : http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=517098

PM some of these guys about their set up's
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
Boss hawg

I did that already with a lot of them. Either they haven't responded or they weren't their truck just posted pictures of them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
xpickup

Boss hawg, the 48 I was working on is bagged. It is s10 up front and corvette in the rear. My buddy who owns it did it and it will almost lay the boards on the ground. He made arms that the bags mount on and it works really well. Now the other one that I am working on it corvette all around but with coil overs. But if you use shockwaves up front it will be close to laying out depending on were your ride hieght is set. The bad thing with them is I think they only have maybe 4" of travel but I think you could mount a 7" bag in there to get more travel. Do you have an aftermarket crossmember? Now with the rear, you have to deal with it cambering out and have the wheels hit the bedsides when layed out. Mini tubbing would probably be the best. If there is a will there is a way.

Shannon
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
Boss hawg

Yea the crossmember in the front is factory. I was going to use shockwaves and do a vett rear also. Is there a way to put bags on the vett front with aluminum arms? I have been trying to think of a way to go that route Instead of shockwaves. I like the shockwaves but I don't want to spend 800 bucks for a pair and it not turn out the way I want. The rear I will probably end up doing a solid axle or possibly a cantilever. The front is what I'm worried about now cause I have the suspension installed already.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
xpickup

Boss hawg, What year is your suspension? The 51 i am doing has a 1984. I have a 1990 that I am going to use on my 54. They are different, that is why I ask. I would think that you should be able to bolt a plate on like they do with the rest of the a arms. I will take a look at both of them and see if I can figure something out. I am on the fence on whether I want to bag it or do the coil overs. I too love seeing them on the ground.

Shannon
Old 06-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
Boss hawg

It's an 84.. I just tried to put a picture previous to you asking but I forgot I can't from the phone.
Posted via Mobile Device

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Boss hawg; 06-03-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
xpickup

Boss hawg, Ok, I would think that a plate cut to the shape of the arm would work with some blocks welded to the underside so that it could not slide off of the a arm, then use the factory shock mounts to bolt it in place. Where it would bolt in place I would cut some bosses the thickness from the bottom of the plate laying on the a arm to the top of where the factory shock would bolt on. That way when it is bolted up it would not bow and come loose. Then bolt the bag on in the center of the a arm. I think that would work.

Shannon
Old 06-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
Boss hawg

thanks that's probably the best route now. that's what one of my friends just suggested... tig welding a plate in for mounting.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
xpickup

Boss hawg, Now I see the picture. I think I was thinking of the later suspension. I would bolt it down with the factory shock mounts and put a piece of tube down from the bottom of the plate to where the factory spring sat so the plate can not bow.

Shannon