The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
55pickup

Exclamation Fellow Aussies I need help!!

Hi, Guys I'm looking into buying a 55 GMC thats for sale near Brisbane, I'm in central Queensland and i'm having massive worries about laying down the cash, Its not registered and it has a 350 in it instead of the stock 283. I don't mind doing some work to make the car legal and get it on the road. I just cant pin anyone down that will tell me what i need to do to make it compliant, I don't want to spend 20grand after i buy the car to get it on the road. Its my first time delving into classics so i'm a bit lost Cheers for any help.

Heres the link to the ad.
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...2130839/?Cr=31
55pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #2
codger30

Re: Fellow Aussies I need help!!

Sorry mate, I'm down in victoria so different ball game. Down here you would need an engineers report with the 350. If you have a bit of time, maybe join the "Ozrodders" forum. Also depends if you want to go on full rego or not. Hopefully someone else might jump on here & give you a better answer. Good luck & cheers,
Bryan
codger30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #3
55pickup

Cheers for the help, Its got the Compliance plate and I just got off the phone with the bloke and he adamant all it needs is a roadworthy, so things like fixing brakes and leaks and just normal stuff. That makes sense to me the part I'm missing is what or how do I find out what it needs for modification compliance, The bloke selling the Truck is adamant its all ready to go. If I need to at the price its at I'd buy it and redo the brakes and suspension as long as I'm not re-engineering the whole truck!
Old 06-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #4
Dodger

Hey 55,

I'm in WA so no doubt different rules here but:

I have a 50 pickup with a 307 in it. Some on ozrodders have contacted me when I was asking rego questions and gave me examples of where people with the same set up have gone across the pits no issue (as long as everything works etc).

I contacted 3 different engineers for advice and quotes. 2 told me that I may not require an engineers report and the last one said I probably would.

His advice was that the rules state, if the new motor has more than 20% capacity over the largest size motor that the truck came from the factory with, an engineers report is required.

He also stated that the transport dept may require a collapsible steering column (only if larger non stock newer engine).

As per the advice of one knowledgeable ozrodders member from WA, I'm going to have a crack without a report. Have an inspection booked for this Friday.

Worse possible case scenario, they want a engineers report (about $600) and I'm going to need to fit a new steering column. That's if they don't pick anything else.

Fingers crossed.

Best advice I can give you is to call a few engineers who do this for a living and find out what they think of the set up you are looking to buy. Costs nothing and is like them giving a quote I guess. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
solidaxel

Welcome to the site from Southern Arizona!

You folks sure have a hard time with this hobby down under, not to mention the cost of everything
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
OrrieG

My dad spent time in Brisbane during WWII and loved it, enough that he looked at immigrating in the 1950's. That aside if the engine is an issue, drop a set of early heads on it and call it a late model 283. Do they actually run the block castings and motor VIN when they do the inspection or a visual?

Good luck, here in Idaho if the frame vin matchs the title and the engine has the original emissions stuff you are good to go. That is why I always run 74 or earlier non CA engines.

Last edited by OrrieG; 06-05-2013 at 01:37 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
Dodger

They don't run the numbers here in WA and I thought of calling it a 283. No good for my truck though because it only came out with a 6.

I think I'm still over the 20% increase in engine capacity even if I claimed 283 on the 50.

Might be a good idea for 55 although i find out if they run the numbers in Qld.

55 have you seen the truck in the flesh. If so, how does it look? Could be nice, could be a shocker - cant tell from the pics.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
mr48chev

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I don't see anywhere near 12,000 there US or Aus $$$$. Here locally guys would be and do look at a 3/4 ton long bed like that with the eye on pulling the cab and nose off and putting them on a shortbed frame. In the town I am sitting in you would be hard pressed to get 3000 for it.

They may be hard to get down there but I think some diligent hunting can come up with a lot more truck for the money spent. And that is especially true when you have to jump through more flaming hoops than Madam Fifi's circus poodles when you make any change to one.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
55pickup

I've spoken to a certifier over the phone, he couldn't give me any specific details, the bloke selling it is adamant that it good to go and my local mate is really not keen on it, the paint is shot, there is a heap of surface rust and the bed is in bad nick but its cheap. I spoke to the bloke selling and he reckons because the GMC came with a different V8 its all good, I'm calling the department of Transport again today and asking them to send it in writing where its says I can or cannot register it and what is required,
Thanks for the welcome too! love these truck the only thing I'd cave for is a Trifive chevy sedan.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:51 AM   #10
Dodger

I didn't want to have a crack at the truck either and it is hard to judge from photos but I agree with 48 mate, that truck in my view is a lot of money for what it is and from my research and experience. Looks like a lot of money to get it nice.

We will never get the 3000 trucks that you can pick up in the US unless its rusted out yard art and parts are hard to find. I imported parts from Classics and shipping is a killer. I ordered about $600 worth of parts and shipping was nearly $400. Rest assured you will need parts from the US on a truck like that. There is company in Qld but when they add their bit, the price is about the same as importing yourself.

The other thing is that the truck you are looking at is a 3/4 ton and traditionally parts are much harder to get such as brake parts, drums, rear ends etc etc. I know I have one and it takes a lot of time and effort to plan a 3/4 ton build in Aus with parts etc.

What do you want to do with the truck,daily driver, show. It all costs.

I looked for 8 months and researched the hell out of half and 3/4 ton Chev trucks. Mine came up and with that knowledge I was happy to commit to a 3/4 for the price. Please research for yourself but I do see better deals.

Don't want to put you off mate just trying to give an opinion that might help in the long run.

All the best which ever way you go.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-06-2013, 06:28 AM   #11
Dodger

Re your rego advice:

Not sure of the system in Qld but out licensing services are pretty useless with providing info re registration and what is required etc. they just don't have the knowledge re every model of vintage car to give any advice other than "bring it in and we'll advise you of what is required when we see it".

On our Department of Transport web site, they list recommended engineers (they are not employed by the Govt) who are experienced with modified cars and licensing. Might be the same with your Dept.

The other option is to check your Qld hot rod and modified car Internet sites and find the engineers they use for licensing. Ozrodders is a good forum and the guys will be able to give you good advice and recommend and engineer to talk to in your area so that you can get accurate advice that will enable you to price out your build properly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #12
dicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
My dad spent time in Brisbane during WWII and loved it, enough that he looked at immigrating in the 1950's. That aside if the engine is an issue, drop a set of early heads on it and call it a late model 283. Do they actually run the block castings and motor VIN when they do the inspection or a visual?

Good luck, here in Idaho if the frame vin matchs the title and the engine has the original emissions stuff you are good to go. That is why I always run 74 or earlier non CA engines.
Problem is on a TF the # in the cab does not match the frame number. What do they do about that? The series designation was added to the cab plate at the end of production, then they knew for sure what they had. ie pickup vs say a panel etc. All frame numbers are missing the series designation that is minus 4 characters.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
55pickup

Cheers for the advice, I passed on the GMC. You're right research is key and I didn't think I had enough information to lay cash on the table. I've learnt a lot just over the past few week's. Thanks for all your help I won't be put off. Cheers
Posted via Mobile Device