The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #1
Hawssie

Tilt vs non tilt auto column differences

I had a couple quick questions about steering columns. I am working on a 1970 C10 that is an auto without tilt. I am looking at some used tilts on EBAY that are from 67-72 trucks not vans but I have noted some differences from mine. Firstly mine has the flat plug but the 2 tilts I saw on EBAY are round. Also mine has a plastic lit up pointer that screws on and is illuminated with a wire that goes to one of the gauge cluster bulbs and somehow picks up light and shines it down on the column pointer. Both the tilts have a stamped metal pointer that I am not sure how it gets lit up. Is this correct? For one I cant see why they would have around style plug for the tilt and a flat one for the non tilt, or was a model year difference.
Hawssie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
69short

Re: Tilt vs non tilt auto column differences

On my 69 auto without tilt my plug was round so that may be a model year difference. someone will chime in with some better info im sure.
69short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:26 AM   #3
Mint68

They should be round, not straight, if yours is straight you need the straight to round adapter to plug into the factory harness, which should be on yours if it is installed and working. Yours uses fiber optic cable to illuminate the shift indicator, where the tilts use a bulb powered by a separate wire that plugs into the fuse box. The cast hoop you see holds the tilt shift indicator, which retracts in and out based on the tilt position.
Mint68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:33 AM   #4
Mint68

Forgot to ad, the bulb for the tilt is under the shift indicator and shift indicator retainer, and just lights up the lettered plastic. No light comes out of that metal pointer you saw, the socket just holds the shifter indicator.
Mint68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
Hawssie

Thanks. Its funny because both my 1969 and 70 trucks have non tilts and have flat plugs but on the 69, I noticed a made in Taiwan sticker! must have been replaced to a flat due to a turn signal switch replacement. . Same with the 70 I guess.
Hawssie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
CastIron

Regarding tilt columns, does anybody know if a new aftermarket is available with tilt and column shifter? And if so, would it work with 3spd and 4spd automatics? I've looked, but can't seem to find anything that has all that.
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote