The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
dicer

Whats the value of your truck?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1959-...item3f25d038c6

Lots of work here, much time and lots and lots of dollars.

I'd give that asking price in a heat beat if it was a factory stock resto, and so would a million other people.

So funny the engine is about the value of the buy it now price. But he did it like he likes.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: Whats the value of your truck?

another task force truck ruined by chopping the roof and then trying to fit the windshield
the builder used a lexan windshield, look thru the windshield in the pic with the door open
the view is wavy to say the least, it's not worth the $6100 bid in my opinion

i have no issues with a chopped roof if done right, other than i don't fit in them

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Russell Ashley

If it were a factory stock long bed restoration with as many imperfections as that truck has it wouldn't bring any more than that truck will. It's the quality of the truck, not whether it's stock or not.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
If it were a factory stock long bed restoration with as many imperfections as that truck has it wouldn't bring any more than that truck will. It's the quality of the truck, not whether it's stock or not.

True but he was referring to the botched chop that you can't cut down real glass for and the reason it has Lexan front and rear. I never understood chopping a big window and have a hard time understanding the thoughts of guys who customize long beds. However, if that truck had real glass in it rather than plastic someone would have hit the buy it now button in the first hour it was listed. I'd imagine his buyer who backed out backed out because of the Lexan.

It's been proven time and time again that a properly modified truck or custom truck will command a much higher sale price than an equal stone stock restored truck. When the customizing is botched or too personalized all bets are off though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
zenchal26

these trucks look like junk chopped if you ask me.
zenchal26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Russell Ashley

"It's been proven time and time again that a properly modified truck or custom truck will command a much higher sale price than an equal stone stock restored truck. When the customizing is botched or too personalized all bets are off though."

That's the point I was trying to make. My response was aimed at Dicer, not Ogre. I totally agree with Ogre and also Zenchal.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
Rude Dude

I like the clearance on the C Notch just dont hit any speed bumps or bumps in the road
Attached Images

Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
Dan in Pasadena

I don't like to speak ill of another man's ride but I'm not a fan of that truck.

I totally agree these trucks do not look good chopped. A few cars/trucks do, maybe even BETTER than stock. But not these trucks, in my opinion. And never so much it jumps off the page at you that it's been chopped. Subtlety is the word when it comes to chopping. My $.02.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
Rude Dude

Not to mention he is from riverside Lexan Windshields are illegal in Cali!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I don't like to speak ill of another man's ride but I'm not a fan of that truck.

I totally agree these trucks do not look good chopped. A few cars/trucks do, maybe even BETTER than stock. But not these trucks, in my opinion. And never so much it jumps off the page at you that it's been chopped. Subtlety is the word when it comes to chopping. My $.02.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dude View Post
... Windshields are illegal in Cali!
I didn't know that.

I was into Porsches for quite awhile. A LOT of Porsche guys that fancy themselves "Ricky Racecar drivers" have Lexan in their street driven cars.

What's new with you Rudy? Any big progress? I've gotten NOTHING done lately. Bought seat belts, not installed. Started my speaker hole repairs/haven't finished. etc etc.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
Rude Dude

Almost done with the wiring just havent posted any pics yet still doing body work on the doors. I just been busy with other things might work on it this weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I didn't know that.

I was into Porsches for quite awhile. A LOT of Porsche guys that fancy themselves "Ricky Racecar drivers" have Lexan in their street driven cars.

What's new with you Rudy? Any big progress? I've gotten NOTHING done lately. Bought seat belts, not installed. Started my speaker hole repairs/haven't finished. etc etc.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

IMO this site is slowly becoming as opinionated and judgmental as the HAMB. The coolest thing about this site is that it use except all styles and taste. To say chopped trucks look like junk, really. I think that depends on who did the chop.
Case in point

It may not be your cup of tea but it certainly does not look like junk.

Last edited by Kabwe; 06-08-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #13
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
IMO this site is slowly becoming as opinionated and judgmental as the HAMB...
I disagree from this stand point: The HAMB openly states their bias against anything they don't think fits the "traditional" criteria from THEY'VE established. Meaning cars & trucks done how they were done in the 40's, 50's and 60's. But they're all over the map about what is/is not traditional. There are air-bagged cars all over the site - doesn't bother me in the least. But I know because I was a young teenager and my dad & older brothers-in-law were all cars guys, no one had air bagged cars in those days. "Hydraulics" adapted from old truck lift gates? Yes, definitely, but not air bags. Their are Lokar shifters, ididit columns and Flaming River parts on a lot of the cars there - NONE of those suppliers or their kind of parts existed in the 40's-60's.

I (think)I know you're not calling me out but I didn't say our trucks chopped were "junk". I DID say I don't think they look good chopped but only after saying I don't like to speak ill of another man's ride.

I honestly do appreciate the vision, the skills, the hard work that any modified car takes to create whether tuner, lowrider, custom, etc. I even admire many of them; I just don't want to OWN one for myself.

As for the truck you posted: It's obviously a very high end truck. No, I still don't like chopped Task Force trucks and personally I would'nt lower one that much or use as large diameter a rim as he has. But I do think it looks kickass for the style he was going for. But I ALSO feel a bone stock, perfectly restored truck looks kickass too; just in an entirely different way.

PS: The guy that DID say chopped = junk? He's got 103 posts so he'll either get with the program around here or (I'm guessing) he'll largely get ignored after awhile.

This site is (for lack of a better example) guys like Bam that are doing a kickass frame off custom job with IFS, Four Link rear, pancaked hood, rounded corners, filled signals yet he doesn't roll his eyes or make snide remarks about my rattle canned, worked-on-in-the-driveway rustbucket. He and a lot of others here offer encouragement and even help. Rant over! lol.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 06-07-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #14
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

First it does not matter if you disagree because you are entitled to disagree, but I still say to to make a statement that chop trucks look like junk is bull and maybe they have not seen the right trucks. My feelings on the matter of judging others peoples taste and making blanketed statements about them is not subject to debate, its how I personally feel about it. Its a pet peeve of mine. I can't stand it.

I personally would not chop a top on a 55-59 truck because its not my cup of tea, but that is not the point. The point is I would never call a fellow builder's vehicle junk because he did something I don't necessarily care for.
What I look at is the craftsmanship of the build. I look at was the mod carried out with thought and displayed craftsmanship, Period. I never feel the need to bash people for doing their own thing and lately I have seen statements to that affect on this site and it did not use to be that way. Any truck or car can be picked apart believe me. People who think they are so great that their car can't be picked apart are just fooling themselves. Why because personal taste comes into play. So I say if people don't like that judgmental crap that goes on with a lot of car guys, than they need to be the first person to shutup and not do it to others.

This is that same kind of crap Dan that had you having second thoughts about taking your truck to brothers. I don't like cars that are not painted, I don't like cars with shiny paint, I don't like stocked, I don't like mods, Why did he do that. They all need to shut up and look at the cars and trucks they like and leave the one they don't like be. Your opinion about others peoples work or cars is not so great that you need to share them. Your opinion only matters to you so keep it there. I'm not talking about you Dan I'm speaking in general.

Last edited by Kabwe; 06-07-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #15
zenchal26

Look guys wasn't trying to bash anyone I used junk for lack of a better word. Yes some chops look ok but in my opinion these trucks look way better with the stock roof line. Some don't like them lowered, I don't think you can get these trucks low enough. It's all about what you like and being able to say what you like or dislike is why this country is so great. This site was a huge help when I was building my truck and thanks to all that helped me through it.
zenchal26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #16
mr48chev

The green truck in the Ebay add would have had a lot more going for it if it hadn't been chopped including how fast it would sell. Still my issue with the chop on it isn't looks it's that I have a very strong feeling that no one will be able to put a real glass windshield in it so he/she can drive it legally in the majority of the US.

Still it's a whole lot better starting point for a build than the hulk of a 350 powered 3/4 ton that the Aussie gent was looking at for the same asking price. If a guy could get it for about 8K, find the pieces to raise the roof back up stock and put glass in it and put a correct C notch in the back you all the sudden have a pretty nice longbed that you could probably drive anywhere. That comes from a guy who is in the middle of chopping his truck for the second time.

On the other hand the little primered shortie that Kawbe showed in post 12 has a near perfect chop for a Task Force truck. Just enough to take the too big windshield look away but not so much it looks like the local fat lady's association sat on the roof. That will be one great looking truck when it's done. And the glass man won't be having a hemorrhage trying to cut a windshield for it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #17
_Ogre

as a modifier i like the look of a chopped truck, that one was done wrong and the cab is scrap unless someone re-cuts a new windshield frame and doors for it. there is a member here that found that out the hard way recently. i'm not sure you could license that truck in any state because of the lexan windshield. that would be a very expensive parts truck.

either way, at 6'4'', i don't fit in a chopped truck unless you cut the whole roof off

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #18
Clarance J

Quote:
First it does not matter if you disagree because you are entitled to disagree, but I still say to to make a statement that chop trucks look like junk is bull and maybe they have not seen the right trucks. My feelings on the matter of judging others peoples taste and making blanketed statements about them is not subject to debate, its how I personally feel about it. Its a pet peeve of mine. I can't stand it.

I personally would not chop a top on a 55-59 truck because its not my cup of tea, but that is not the point. The point is I would never call a fellow builder's vehicle junk because he did something I don't necessarily care for.
What I look at is the craftsmanship of the build. I look at was the mod carried out with thought and displayed craftsmanship, Period. I never feel the need to bash people for doing their own thing and lately I have seen statements to that affect on this site and it did not use to be that way. Any truck or car can be picked apart believe me. People who think they are so great that their car can't be picked apart are just fooling themselves. Why because personal taste comes into play. So I say if people don't like that judgmental crap that goes on with a lot of car guys, than they need to be the first person to shutup and not do it to others.

This is that same kind of crap Dan that had you having second thoughts about taking your truck to brothers. I don't like cars that are not painted, I don't like cars with shiny paint, I don't like stocked, I don't like mods, Why did he do that. They all need to shut up and look at the cars and trucks they like and leave the one they don't like be. Your opinion about others peoples work or cars is not so great that you need to share them. Your opinion only matters to you so keep it there. I'm not talking about you Dan I'm speaking in general.

Thank you.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #19
Russell Ashley

I hit the enter key on my post above without re-reading it. Obviously I don't think all chopped trucks are junk. I was thinking specifically of that green EBay truck and to be honest, I do think that cab is pretty junky looking. The two trucks that Bam posted look great, not chopped so much that they look out of proportion. So, my apologies if I made anyone mad.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #20
Speedbumpauto

Dang, BAM, thanks for saving my bacon! I was beginning to think I was being picked on because I'm a chop, pancake, lower, fat tire kind of guy. I suscribe to the motto that "anyone can restore a vehicle. It takes a real man to cut one up." I respect the WORK that anyone does with what they have and I enjoy the stock look, just wouldn't ever do it myself. And mine does have a glass windshield, but a couple of them "gave their all" to make it happen.
Attached Images

Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #21
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Speedbumpauto,

Your truck is gorgeous. Its a beautiful truck and a wonderful job. First class work buddy love it.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #22
Speedbumpauto

Thanks, buddy. Your thoughts were right on. We need to appreciate individuality. Don't necessarily have to immitate it, but appreciate it. I have a buddy with a 58 who I built an engine for and helped with the MII conversion and disc brakes. It's a nice looking truck and he traded a perfectly good rear fender for one that had the spare tire well in it. I tried 40 ways to talk him out of it but he did it and mounted a nice spare with a chrome protector on the tire. I now appreciate the look when I see the truck but I would never do it. It's ALL good and when most people post here asking for info, they usually say the "opinion" word.....and we all have one...just have to own it.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #23
vjjack04

Quote:
IMO this site is slowly becoming as opinionated and judgmental as the HAMB. The coolest thing about this site is that it use be except all styles and taste. To say chopped trucks look like junk, really. I think that depends on who did the chop.
Case in point

It may not be your cup of tea but it certainly does not look like junk.
Kawbe,
you almost always get it right; good perspective; darn good perspective. To each his own, and the truck you displayed is great. I bet you could even politics and religion in mixed company.....amen brother.
vjjack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #24
Garys8

My trucks are worth their weight in scrap. Try and top that.
Garys8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #25
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garys8 View Post
My trucks are worth their weight in scrap. Try and top that.
Well I believe the same about mine so you've been topped.

Last edited by Kabwe; 06-08-2013 at 05:05 PM.