The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
JMR5

Removing large wheels from rear wheelwells

Hey guys, let me start by apologizing for the stupid question, but it's been a long week and it was 105 degrees today...which means 100+ in my garage. I purchased a 60 GMC 1000 wideside, short bed, big back window truck last month. The prior owner had 20's with 275/45 tires and that just isn't my style, not to mention how hard it was to turn those beasts with manual steering. Anyway, I've got my new tires mounted on steel wheels today and I'm having trouble trying to wedge the old monsters out of the back wheel wells. This is the first truck I've ever owned without leaf spring suspension in the rear and I'm puzzled. On a leaf spring truck I just jack under the frame to clear the tire, but that doesn't work here. On a trailing arm truck like this how do I get the rear suspension to drop down enough to get these huge tires out? Do I need to unhook the coils, shocks and/or pan hard bar? Thanks guys.
Attached Images

JMR5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
Reyals Bemus

Re: Removing large wheels from rear wheelwells

You need to jack up the rear of the truck from the frame, instead of under the axle. It will take more jack travel to actually get the wheels off the ground, but it should allow the suspension to droop enough for you to yank those 20's out of there. If that doesn't do it, then you'll have to add a small bottle jack to the equation. Place it between the axle and frame and jack them apart just enough to make the space you need. It's all quite a pain in the ass!
Reyals Bemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
66Submarine

Why can't you get to the frame? On my stuff with somewhat normal tires I jack the truck up to where I have say, 3" from the bottom of the tire to the ground, then pull the bottom of the tire out to get it off the lugs/hub. Then you can let it slide down until the wheel itself hits the brake drum. After that it should come out, probably still need to be a little sideways with a big tire. My trucks aren't lowered, but I always jack them up by the axle or trailing arm, so the suspension is still loaded. I think on your truck you should be able to jack it up by the frame and slide the tire out like I described pretty easily.
66Submarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
LVPhotos

Jack the frame in front of axle right at the curve. I also used 4by4 across rear frame. If short because shock travel, disconnect.
Posted via Mobile Device
LVPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
JMR5

Ok, thanks guys. I may need to disconnect the shock. I started by jacking under the frame in front of the rear tire right at the curve as LVPhotos noted and I was really surprised how quickly the tire came of the ground and didn't take up much suspension. On my 59 I would have to go forever on the jack from the frame to get a tire off the ground. I'll disconnect a shock and see how she goes.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:04 AM   #6
Chevy Fleetside

A friend of mine lives in Rocklin. I was supposed to go up there this weekend and help him with an arbor for his house. But since I just came down with a cold and it is going to be majorly hot I decieded not to go this weekend. Next weekend will be better...
Did you ever get the back tires off? Unbolting a shock like you mentioned might help.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:30 AM   #7
JMR5

Definitely good that you aren't heading over ChevyFleetside because it's supposed to be even hotter tomorrow! Yes, once I unbolted the shocks I was able to get enough room to wiggle out the wheels.