The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Igorsgonemadd

Head gaskets and timing tbi 454

Ok so we rebuilt my 454 and after running about 10 minutes, it starts overheating. Here is my biggest fear, when we put the head gaskets on we assumed they were interchangeable between sides. Could I have put the wrong gasket on the wrong side and that causing my overheating? It has a new waterpump and thermostat. The fan sure doesn't seem to be pushing much air though, but the clutch isn't making any noise. As long as I know I couldn't have got the wrong head gasket on the wrong side, I'll feel a whole lot better about it though..... Now on the timing, I've read 0, 2, 4 & 10 degrees on the base timing. We unplugged the distributor wire set it to zero then cleared the computer. I think it is 4 degrees we should have set it to. Does anyone know the côrrect base timing and if it is 4, then could us setting it to zero cause the overheating? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Igorsgonemadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
Unca

Re: Head gaskets and timing tbi 454

first thing is make sure that its got water flowing thru the thermostat.
it could be air locked, ( needs burped...) hot air pockets and its not flowing water thru the engine, second is the thermostat in properly ( not backwards ) then id start worrying other items.
Unca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #3
Igorsgonemadd

Bump....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
BigBlocksRule

Can't help you with timing, but what's your setup for starting a new engine? You generally need to run cold water over the radiator and get a big ass fan to help, there's a lot more friction in a new engine until it's broken in, lots of metal parts getting to know one another, I've never had one that didn't get way warm on it's first start up.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
rfmaster

Since you did not post your engine model year and application it is very difficult to recommend base timing setting. In general, depending on application (also BCC code on your ECM service label) base timing can be 0, 2, 4 or 6 deg with EST plug set open. With EST plug connected idle SA should be bouncing between 16 to 20 deg (once engine is fully warmed-up. I use dial back light to since most timing tabs do not go past 12 deg.

Most after market intake manifolds have rear water passage block-off. See Edelbrock 2061, HOLLEY STREET DOMINATOR and others. Factory intakes are another story. So it hard to say if you coolant flow through issue. Fan clutch is a very common source of over heating in BBC. You must have air flow through radiator to get heat out of the coolant. Do you know intake gasket part number?

Did you replace harmonic balancer???

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
Igorsgonemadd

Ok, the motor is an 87 tbi 454 all stock with the exception of an rv cam. I still need to figure out the timing, however. I did figure the overheating out though. It was the clutch fan. It was fine when I parked the truck two months ago to fix the motor and it showed no sighns of being bad. No play in it, cold it would only spin about 3/4 of a turn, nice and smooth no noise. But it didn't seem to be putting out the air it should. As soon as the new one kicked on I knew that was it. It was like a jet engine compared to a box fan. But please someone out ther tell me what my base timing should be for it. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
rfmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igorsgonemadd View Post
Ok, the motor is an 87 tbi 454 all stock with the exception of an rv cam. I still need to figure out the timing, however. I did figure the overheating out though. It was the clutch fan. It was fine when I parked the truck two months ago to fix the motor and it showed no sighns of being bad. No play in it, cold it would only spin about 3/4 of a turn, nice and smooth no noise. But it didn't seem to be putting out the air it should. As soon as the new one kicked on I knew that was it. It was like a jet engine compared to a box fan. But please someone out ther tell me what my base timing should be for it. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Clutch fans - love hate relationship...
Based on limited information....
Assuming the that your ECM has the following calibration installed

BCC: ACLP
87 R-V Truck 7.4TBI 3speed auto with 3.21 or 3.73 gears
Initial SA: 4.0 deg

BCC: ACLX
87 R-V Truck 7.4TBI 3speed auto with 4.10 or 4.56 gears
Initial SA: 4.0 deg

4 to 6 deg should be just fine for your BBC with RV cam -> which cam did you go with?
//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote