The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
RocketKing

Hitting Frame

I have a 4.5 front 6 rear static drop. Rear is 2 in blocks with 4 drop springs, I read that I would have enough travel and not need a c notch but my frame in bouncing off my axle at the smallest bump.
Do I have many options other than the c notch? I have only about two inches of clearance between axle and frame, could air shocks or manual air bags do the trick?
Thanks for any info
Old 06-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
mr. g

Re: Hitting Frame

2 inches is real tight...ideally you'd like more uptravel capacity in your suspension;
that being said, you could look at timbren rubber springs- i have em all
four corners to control my bagged ride-
the double convoluted ones are what you would need- you'd have to mount them in an "active" or "loaded" manner...this can work, though it will make your rear feel real tight (not at all like hitting frame, though)...you'll be gaining control over the uptravel distance, at least...
mr. g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
RocketKing

Thanks Mr G, so you believe this would be better than just using manual airbags out back?
Old 06-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #4
mr. g

yes, better than just airbags... the bags would probably like to see a 4" uptravel so i don't think that's going to remedy your problem unless you do some creative mounting and allow your mount brakets to be adjustable in order to find the perfect height and pressure to stop the uptravel before bottoming out, plus it sounds like you've kind of already gone through and reworked the suspension; use what you've got -the timbrens will also act as a bump stop, so i think, as you posed your question, rubber springs are your best option, and a more cost effective remedy
mr. g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:34 AM   #5
Square_78

If u add air shocks or bags you are going to be raising the back either way. May as well just take out the 2" blocks for now. 6" drop without a c-notch is too much. When mine was static dropped it was 5" and it was an inch away from the frame.
Posted via Mobile Device

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketKing View Post
I have a 4.5 front 6 rear static drop. Rear is 2 in blocks with 4 drop springs, I read that I would have enough travel and not need a c notch but my frame in bouncing off my axle at the smallest bump.
Do I have many options other than the c notch? I have only about two inches of clearance between axle and frame, could air shocks or manual air bags do the trick?
Thanks for any info
What brand springs?
Do you have rear shock relocators?

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
RocketKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square_78 View Post
If u add air shocks or bags you are going to be raising the back either way. May as well just take out the 2" blocks for now. 6" drop without a c-notch is too much. When mine was static dropped it was 5" and it was an inch away from the frame.
Posted via Mobile Device
Removing the blocks is a good idea I had not considered, perhaps I could a 1" block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
What brand springs?
Do you have rear shock relocators?
CCP springs and I used the thread I found on here to cut down my original upper shock mounts and reuse them. This was actually my first thought, that the shock mounts were somehow incorrect and my shocks were not giving enough travel.