The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
Orange67

04.5 LLY turns over doesnt start

Hey all, I've got an 04.5 Chev LLY CCSB with roughly 258,000 miles on the clock. Last Saturday it began to do a "hard" start- meaning I had to crank it longer than usual to get it to start, but not every time I started it. Yesterday after getting home from the lake, I parked it and the boat in front of my house and shut it down. 15 minutes later, I tried to start it, it cranks but doesn't fire at all. No SEL, no other running issues, just flat won't start. It ran great all the way to and from the lake, but I did notice when I started it up at the lake it took about 20 seconds or so to fire. I have read up on the "ice pick fix" for the injector connections, and tonight when I get home I am going to change the fuel filter, and look at a couple of harness issues I've read about, but mostly I'm at a loss. Any ideas or advice?

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
lowridergmc

Re: 04.5 LLY turns over doesnt start

pump and bleed the filter,i have seen fuel supply lines rubbed trough at the rear of cab on the pinch weld,if you have air when the bleeder screew is opened you are have a leak somewhere.if you have a scan tool i would check to see what your fuel rail pressure is.you will need over 10mpa to run.also you
should check the supply side for restristion.this is done by hooking vacuum gauge up to test port-should see about 2" while cranking.also pinch the supply
line off at the filter and the vacuum gauge should pull to more that 10"-this will
verify that the pump is sucking fuel.so check for leaks 1st then check both the high side and the suction side.see what you end up with and we will go from there.
lowridergmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
Orange67

Re: 04.5 LLY turns over doesnt start

Great! thanks for the idea! I'll let you know

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote